Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Off-Season and Mock 3.0
Major injuries to FA targets DJ Reader and Connor Williams, plus a big drop in the draft order inspired this latest iteration. Also, as I addressed in another thread, the draft sim I use for these does not permit player for draft pick trades, so don't @ me regarding Higgins tag/trades.

Coaching Hires

Bill Bedenbaugh, OL Coach, Oklahoma-Bedenbaugh has been the OL coach at OU since '13, and the amount of high end OL talent he's put into the NFL during that time is pretty astounding. He's also a spread offense disciple who should mesh well with Taylor.

Mike Denbrock, OC, LSU-Denbrock was the OC for UC during their recent peak under Fickell in '21 before moving onto LSU and helping them have one of the best passing attacks in the nation.

Resign

Drew Sample (2 years, $3 mil)-Good reserve/blocking TE.

Marcus Bailey (2 years, $2.5 mil)-Depth/ST's

Tanner Hudson(1 year, $1.2 mil)-Hudson carved out a niche in sub packages this year.

Cody Ford(1 year, $5 mil)-Ford has established himself as the first man off the bench for the OL with his T/G versatility. Also insurance if we whiff on a RT in the draft.

Josh Tupou(1 year, $4 mil)-With Reader gone, it makes sense to bring back Tupou as a rotational NT.

RFA/ERFA Tenders-Trenton Irwin, Jake Browning, Cal Adomitas, Mitchell Wilcox

UFA

Austin Ekeler, RB, LAC(3 years, $24 mil)-I'm not a fan of paying RB's, but Ekeler is a great receiving back and is great with power runs, as well. Just a tremendous scheme fit. Might put Mixon on the outs, as well.

Dalton Schultz, TE, Hou(3 years, $30 mil)-Schutz should come in and immediately stabilize a TE unit that's been in flux the last couple of years. His reliable vet presence should be a big help early in the year when we are breaking in replacements for Tee and Boyd.

Donovan Peoples-Jones, Wr, Det(1 year, $3 mil)-DPJ had a breakout 2022 campaign, racking up over 800 yards while starting 14 games, but this year has been a rough one with him splitting time between the Browns and Lions. DPJ has played on ST's and been a KR/PR, so he should be able to find a role there.

Christian Wilkins, DT, Mia(4 years,$78 mil)-Wilkins should step in immediately and spend time at both 3 tech and NT. While not as much of a load in the run game as Reader, he brings a lot more to the table as a pass rusher.

These moves should leave a ton of space for extensions, injuries, and adding surprise cuts from other clubs.

Going into the draft, my focus is on RT and WR, specifically. I'd like to add a NT and a C/G to groom in the middle rounds and pick up some depth at CB and LB late.

#24=Taliese Fuaga, T, Oregon State-This pick probably doesn't need a lot of explanation. Fuaga has a ton of upside and his power and explosiveness are special. He might have some struggles as a rookie transitioning from the Pac-12 to the NFL, but he's a year one starter and has the makings of a franchise cornerstone. Fuaga is the #4 T on my board and probably the last "gotta have him" guy for me at #24. If he wasn't there, I would've honestly looked at trading down.

#55=Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida St.-At 6'7", 238, Wilson has been compared to a power forward playing WR. On top of his immense size for his position, he's been clocked at 21 mph on the field and ran a 4.5 coming out of high school. His route running needs work and there are just certain routes you don't want a guy his size running, but he projects to a Mike Williams/DK Metcalf type.

#86=Trey Benson, RB, Florida State-Benson is your prototypical "bell cow" RB. Kid has good size at 6'1", 223, great feet, and a bruising style built for the AFCN. He's also a physical pass blocker. He still has a lot to prove as a receiving threat and he doesn't have that home run gear, but he provides a good compliment to the smaller Ekeler and Brown in a rebuilt backfield. Probably spells the end for Mixon in stripes.

#124=Christian Mahogany, IOL, Boston College-Developmental G who has both power at POA and the ability to get second level blocks, but needs a lot of work in pass pro.

#157=Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame-Estime isn't creative at all. Just a North-South runner that hits holes hard and seeks out contact, but has the speed to break one if he gets green grass in front of him. Kid should have no issues carving out a role on ST's and sending Evans to the PS.

#175=Kamal Harden, CB, Tennessee-Tall zone CB project. Kid gave up a Passer Rating When Targeted of 7.0(not a typo) this year, but draws a lot of yellow laundry. Could be a steal if the staff can clean up his game.

#198=Luke Lachey, TE, Iowa-I mean, Iowa TE's are usually good, right?

#242=Omar Speights, LB, LSU-We can use more LB depth and seem to have good luck drafting LSU kids. Plus, Omar is a cool name.

#251=Tykee Smith, S, Georgia-We usually have good luck drafting Georgia kids, too. Plus eff Nick Scott.

My biggest draft disappointment was I was unable to get a 2 gap NT to groom, but there aren't a lot in this class. Sweat was gone in the 2nd. Tyleik Williams was still there in the 3rd, but he's going to need to play in a one gap scheme if he's going to play NT.
Reply/Quote
In 2019 and 2020 Tykee Smith played for WVU and he was the best slot defender in college football those two years. He also did as the spear which is a S/CB/LB hybrid position.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 01:38 PM)Synric Wrote: In 2019 and 2020 Tykee Smith played for WVU and he was the best slot defender in college football those two years. He also did as the spear which is a S/CB/LB hybrid position.

Good to know.  I confess, I haven't gotten that deep in my draft evals, yet.  Sounds like he should have just stayed at WVU instead of transferring.
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling that the Bengals will be going CB much earlier than pick #175, as Awuzie will likely be not on the Bengals roster and Mike Hilton turns 30 in March and will be in the final year of his contract. I fully expect the Bengals to double dip on CB this draft, as the last 4 DBs that the Bengals have invested day 1-2 picks on have panned out rather well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 02:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have a feeling that the Bengals will be going CB much earlier than pick #175, as Awuzie will likely be not on the Bengals roster and Mike Hilton turns 30 in March and will be in the final year of his contract.  I fully expect the Bengals to double dip on CB this draft, as the last 4 DBs that the Bengals have invested day 1-2 picks on have panned out rather well.

It's possible.  However, I think it will be hard to pound the table for a nickel CB to groom early after going Defense in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd the past two drafts.  Plus, they like Jalen Davis as Hilton's backup and won't keep 3 slot CB's.  I can also see them going the route of a vet on a 1 year deal as the top CB off the bench if they aren't confident in Ivey as the CB4.  

It wouldn't be hard to talk me out of Mahogany or Estime, but thee would have to be CB there that I liked.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 01:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: Good to know.  I confess, I haven't gotten that deep in my draft evals, yet.  Sounds like he should have just stayed at WVU instead of transferring.

He probabaly should have stayed because of the injury but half that roster went into the transfer portal that year. After his injury at Georgia Smith was demoted to a nickle defensive back role.

Also McKinnley Jackson DT Texas A&M will be a guy to watch in the senior bowl. He's just shy of 6'2 320lbs with great length he played mostly 2 down nose tackle. He has a good first step so seeing him 1 on 1s rushing will affect his draft stock.... He reminds me of Pat Sims. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2023, 11:01 AM)Synric Wrote: He probabaly should have stayed because of the injury but half that roster went into the transfer portal that year. After his injury at Georgia Smith was demoted to a nickle defensive back role.

Also McKinnley Jackson DT Texas A&M will be a guy to watch in the senior bowl. He's just shy of 6'2 320lbs with great length he played mostly 2 down nose tackle. He has a good first step so seeing him 1 on 1s rushing will affect his draft stock.... He reminds me of Pat Sims. 

I'll have to look into Jackson more.  I liked Sims coming out of college and he carved out a decent career.  I just feel like very few of the NT's in this class will be able to hold up as a starter in a 2-gap scheme.  
Reply/Quote