Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Off-season and Mock Draft
I'm doing a full off-season, followed by a mock draft just get some ideas as to what might be possible. I'll be using Spotrac's $70mil in cap space number for UFA. I'm also assuming Jonah leaves in FA for a LT job and no FT for Higgins. A surprise to some for this is Callahan leaves for a HC gig(he's actually rumored to be very highly regarded as a HC candidate). Here goes...

Coaching Hires

Bill Bedenbaugh, OL Coach, Oklahoma-Bedenbaugh has been the OL coach at OU since '13, and the amount of high end OL talent he's put into the NFL during that time is pretty astounding. He's also a spread offense disciple who should mesh well with Taylor.

Mike Denbrock, OC, LSU-Denbrock was the OC for UC during their recent peak under Fickell in '21 before moving onto LSU and helping them have one of the best passing attacks in the nation.

Resign

DJ Reader(3 years, $48 mil)-Reader is one of the cornerstones of the defense. This really doesn't need explanation.

Drew Sample (2 years, $3 mil)-Good reserve/blocking TE.

Marcus Bailey (2 years, 2.5 mil)-Depth/ST's.

RFA/ERFA Tenders-Trenton Irwin, Jake Browning, Cal Adomitas, Mitchell Wilcox

UFA

Connor Williams, C, Miami(5 years, $68 mil)-Williams is a high quality C that also has experience at G. With a 9.15 RAS, he should help with the athletic limitations of the OL group and solidify the position for years. Karras slides to LG to put Volson on the bench, or possibly he winds up on the bench himself if further upgrades can be found in the draft.

Christian Wilkins, DT, Miami(4 years, $80 mil)-Hard nosed run defender that can also collapse the pocket and get after the QB. Hill may potentially get the axe for extra cap room depending on how things play out.

Dalton Schultz, TE, Houston(4 years, $60 mil)-It's really time to stop the one year rentals at TE, plus with Higgins and Boyd leaving, Joe will need another reliable target.

George Fant, T, Houston(1 year, $5 mil)-I'm still hoping to address RT in the draft, but I'm not heading into it with Carman penciled in as the starter. Hopefully a solid depth piece, but a serviceable starter if needed.

Austin Ekeler, RB, LAC(3 years, $24 mil)-I'm not a fan of paying RB's, but Ekeler is a great receiving back and is great with power runs, as well. Just a tremendous scheme fit. Might put Mixon on the outs, as well.

After FA, I'm currently sitting at $85.25 estimated AAV and had $70 in cap space, but remember that structure can do a lot to squeeze those numbers down. On to the draft. I'll be using the NFL Mock Draft Database sim for this one.

#18=Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio state-The Schultz signing blew up in my face after Brockers fell to this point, but there was definitely a need here for Egbuka. This one doesn't need a lot of explanation and he should slot in as the WR2 immediately.

#49=Troy Fautanu, T, Washington-This one was a no-brainer, though Henderson was tempting. Hopefully, the RT of the future or possibly even starts his rookie year if he can beat out Fant.

#80=Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson-Athletic interior disrupter, though still pretty raw. Still, the kid has a lot of upside.

#115=Will Shipley, RB, Clemson-Went back to Clemson for the electric Shipley, who can contribute as a runner, receiver, and return man.

#154=Zach Frazier, IOL, West Virginia-He may seem like an odd pick due to the Connor Williams signing, but both Karras and Trey Hill are in contract years, plus he has LG experience, as well.

#176=Marcellas Dial, CB, South Carolina

#194=Curtis Jacobs, LB, Penn State

#235=Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama

#254=Deshawn Pace, LB, UC
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 05:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm doing a full off-season, followed by a mock draft just get some ideas as to what might be possible. I'll be using Spotrac's $70mil in cap space number for UFA. I'm also assuming Jonah leaves in FA for a LT job and no FT for Higgins. A surprise to some for this is Callahan leaves for a HC gig(he's actually rumored to be very highly regarded as a HC candidate). Here goes...

Coaching Hires

Bill Bedenbaugh, OL Coach, Oklahoma-Bedenbaugh has been the OL coach at OU since '13, and the amount of high end OL talent he's put into the NFL during that time is pretty astounding. He's also a spread offense disciple who should mesh well with Taylor.

Mike Denbrock, OC, LSU-Denbrock was the OC for UC during their recent peak under Fickell in '21 before moving onto LSU and helping them have one of the best passing attacks in the nation.

Resign

DJ Reader(3 years, $48 mil)-Reader is one of the cornerstones of the defense. This really doesn't need explanation.

Drew Sample (2 years, $3 mil)-Good reserve/blocking TE.

Marcus Bailey (2 years, 2.5 mil)-Depth/ST's.

RFA/ERFA Tenders-Trenton Irwin, Jake Browning, Cal Adomitas, Mitchell Wilcox

UFA

Connor Williams, C, Miami(5 years, $68 mil)-Williams is a high quality C that also has experience at G. With a 9.15 RAS, he should help with the athletic limitations of the OL group and solidify the position for years. Karras slides to LG to put Volson on the bench, or possibly he winds up on the bench himself if further upgrades can be found in the draft.

Christian Wilkins, DT, Miami(4 years, $80 mil)-Hard nosed run defender that can also collapse the pocket and get after the QB. Hill may potentially get the axe for extra cap room depending on how things play out.

Dalton Schultz, TE, Houston(4 years, $60 mil)-It's really time to stop the one year rentals at TE, plus with Higgins and Boyd leaving, Joe will need another reliable target.

George Fant, T, Houston(1 year, $5 mil)-I'm still hoping to address RT in the draft, but I'm not heading into it with Carman penciled in as the starter. Hopefully a solid depth piece, but a serviceable starter if needed.

Austin Ekeler, RB, LAC(3 years, $24 mil)-I'm not a fan of paying RB's, but Ekeler is a great receiving back and is great with power runs, as well. Just a tremendous scheme fit. Might put Mixon on the outs, as well.

After FA, I'm currently sitting at $85.25 estimated AAV and had $70 in cap space, but remember that structure can do a lot to squeeze those numbers down. On to the draft. I'll be using the NFL Mock Draft Database sim for this one.

#18=Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio state-The Schultz signing blew up in my face after Brockers fell to this point, but there was definitely a need here for Egbuka. This one doesn't need a lot of explanation and he should slot in as the WR2 immediately.

#49=Troy Fautanu, T, Washington-This one was a no-brainer, though Henderson was tempting. Hopefully, the RT of the future or possibly even starts his rookie year if he can beat out Fant.

#80=Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson-Athletic interior disrupter, though still pretty raw. Still, the kid has a lot of upside.

#115=Will Shipley, RB, Clemson-Went back to Clemson for the electric Shipley, who can contribute as a runner, receiver, and return man.

#154=Zach Frazier, IOL, West Virginia-He may seem like an odd pick due to the Connor Williams signing, but both Karras and Trey Hill are in contract years, plus he has LG experience, as well.

#176=Marcellas Dial, CB, South Carolina

#194=Curtis Jacobs, LB, Penn State

#235=Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama

#254=Deshawn Pace, LB, UC

Couple things…

1. I’d be shocked if they resign reader. He’s over 30
2. They don’t have the money to dole out all those big money contracts.
3. He’ll no to Henderson anything earlier than 5
4. On what planet is eckler signing for 8 per? You gonna need to double that
Reply/Quote
Great thread.  

I moved us up to #11, which may be realistic.  PFF didnt like my draft as much as I did:

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
Two of the top 5 Nose Tackles on 1 roster would be amazing in the AFCN lol. I'm not sure about making Schultz the 3rd highest paid TE. I like the idea of bringing in Schultz or really just brining in a veteran TE Schultz, Henry, Hooper...

I'm not the biggest Fautanu fan Length and Strength are question marks with him. Made up for it with my guy from WVU. I can't wait to see him at the Senior Bowl there's some good DT this year and the match-ups are gonna be great. T'Vondre Sweat NT from Texas has accepted so that's one already lol. Ruke Orhorhoro hasn't accepted yet but I expect he will...

Underclassmen at the All-Star Games could cause alot of these guys to declare early.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 03:24 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Great thread.  

I moved us up to #11, which may be realistic.  PFF didnt like my draft as much as I did:

That was an ugly injury for Bru McCoy in early October. He might get a medical redshirt. He was highly recruited and really talented a lower leg injury like that for a WR though hope the surgery and recovery goes well for him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 02:13 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Couple things…

1. I’d be shocked if they resign reader. He’s over 30
2. They don’t have the money to dole out all those big money contracts.
3. He’ll no to Henderson anything earlier than 5
4. On what planet is eckler signing for 8 per? You gonna need to double that

1.Very possible that Reader isn't resigned.

2.They could hypothetically make it work with proper structuring, but it probably is a bit too tight for the FO's liking.

4.I used Spotrac's estimated contract value for most of these.  Keep in mind that this is a loaded FA RB class with King Henry, Saquon, Josh Jacobs, Swift, Pollard, AJ Dillon, ,etc., etc.  That will drive prices way down, especially for a position where teams are hesitant to hand out big money contracts in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 10:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: 1.Very possible that Reader isn't resigned.

There is still a chance Lou leaves to become a HC and if I'm Lou going to a bad team Reader and Awuzie would be the first guys I would tell the new FO to call. (Maybe Markus Bailey even if he's not the starter getting a guy familiar with his system in each room at all 3 levels.) 

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 09:30 AM)Synric Wrote: Two of the top 5 Nose Tackles on 1 roster would be amazing in the AFCN lol. I'm not sure about making Schultz the 3rd highest paid TE. I like the idea of bringing in Schultz or really just brining in a veteran TE Schultz, Henry, Hooper...

I'm not the biggest Fautanu fan Length and Strength are question marks with him. Made up for it with my guy from WVU. I can't wait to see him at the Senior Bowl there's some good DT this year and the match-ups are gonna be great. T'Vondre Sweat NT from Texas has accepted so that's one already lol. Ruke Orhorhoro hasn't accepted yet but I expect he will...

Underclassmen at the All-Star Games could cause alot of these guys to declare early.

Wilkins is currently a 3-4 DE, I believe, though I'm sure he also lines up at NT at times.  Lots of good FA DT's this year, certainly.  Madubuike from the Ravens is also an intriguing one, but the price may simply be too high with the year he's having.  

I definitely have mixed feelings about paying that for Schultz (especially after Brockers fell, lol).  It's a bad FA TE class, though.  Next best is probably Gesicki whose fallen off a cliff the last two years.  Still, a prove it deal with him could be the best option.

I was thinking T in the 1st, but didn't have anyone I liked at that spot.  That will probably change with time as we creep further up the draft order, though.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 12:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Wilkins is currently a 3-4 DE, I believe, though I'm sure he also lines up at NT at times.

He's mostly the nose but he does line up anywhere from the 0 to the 4i (maybe even 5t but I don't think he would offer much as a rusher straight up over the OT). Miami's 4 man front is Bradley Chubb - Zach Sieler - Christian Wilkins - Jaelan Phillips

Reply/Quote
You're gonna have a hard time selling Ohio St's WR2 who has averaged just 53 YPG when his counterpart is averaging 99 YPG and taking practically ALL the focus from the defense along with their TE.

I'd rather have Odunze or Coleman over Egbuka, personally.
Maybe I haven't seen enough of Egbuka though to realize how good he could be.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 02:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're gonna have a hard time selling Ohio St's WR2 who has averaged just 53 YPG when his counterpart is averaging 99 YPG and taking practically ALL the focus from the defense along with their TE.

Depends what type of wr you want. Ebuka comp is easy very easy…… it’s deebo. He’s been playing through a nagging injury this year, and missed a few games, but if you go back to last year 1250 scrimmage yards. He’s really good but likely not a fit for this offense.. stover is the guy I want from this group of pass catchers
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 03:07 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Depends what type of wr you want. Ebuka comp is easy very easy…… it’s deebo.  He’s been playing through a nagging injury this year,  and missed a few games, but if you go back to last year 1250 scrimmage yards. He’s really good but likely not a fit for this offense.. stover is the guy I want from this group of pass catchers

I'm right there with you on Stover.
I think he'd be a great get.

Alternatively, I'm actually pretty high on Tanner Hudson, at least from a value bang-for-the-buck perspective.
If he does well enough to show he can be on the same tier as like CJ Uzomah, I'd be ok re-signing Hudson and just getting a TE in Rd 5 or so to compete.

In my ideal world though, I'd love to have a Top 10 TE from a receiving production standpoint.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
When you wrote Brockers, I assume you meant Brock Bowers falling to 18? If I’m wrong, sorry.

If that is the case, I would still draft Bowers over Egbuka if BPA is the criteria.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 02:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're gonna have a hard time selling Ohio St's WR2 who has averaged just 53 YPG when his counterpart is averaging 99 YPG and taking practically ALL the focus from the defense along with their TE.

Being fair, he wouldn't be my first pick among WR's at that spot, either.  That was a best value at a position of need pick.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 03:07 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Depends what type of wr you want. Ebuka comp is easy very easy…… it’s deebo.  He’s been playing through a nagging injury this year,  and missed a few games, but if you go back to last year 1250 scrimmage yards. He’s really good but likely not a fit for this offense.. stover is the guy I want from this group of pass catchers

I think Ebuka would actually be a good fit.  We already see the Bengals using Chase in the back field like the 9'ers use Deebo.  You can slot Ebuka into that role and still be able to threaten the defense deep with Chase.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 04:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: When you wrote Brockers, I assume you meant Brock Bowers falling to 18? If I’m wrong, sorry.

If that is the case, I would still draft Bowers over Egbuka if BPA is the criteria.

Same.

If Bowers is available, he's probably a 700+ yard, 6+ TD a season guy, like TJ Hockenson and just a few other TEs in the league.

You can get a 800-1000 yard WR on Day 2 of the draft, or get cheaper in FA to fill that WR2 spot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Same.

If Bowers is available, he's probably a 700+ yard, 6+ TD a season guy, like TJ Hockenson and just a few other TEs in the league.

You can get a 800-1000 yard WR on Day 2 of the draft, or get cheaper in FA to fill that WR2 spot.

It was Bowers.  If I hadn't given Schultz a 4 year deal in FA, he would have been the pick.  However, I don't see any world where Zac runs 12 base, so it would be a pretty big waste.  Not to mention that it's really not a realistic fall, imo.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 04:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: It was Bowers.  If I hadn't given Schultz a 4 year deal in FA, he would have been the pick.  However, I don't see any world where Zac runs 12 base, so it would be a pretty big waste.  Not to mention that it's really not a realistic fall, imo.

Just erase Boyd’s name in the formation and pencil in Bowers. I can’t tell you what percentage Bowers lines up in the slot, but it is significant.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 04:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: It was Bowers.  If I hadn't given Schultz a 4 year deal in FA, he would have been the pick.  However, I don't see any world where Zac runs 12 base, so it would be a pretty big waste.  Not to mention that it's really not a realistic fall, imo.

Taylor is limiting the offense if not open to trying more 12 personnel, even if he had the pass catching ability with his TEs.

With that said, if we were going to see him try it, he'd have done more of it through 4.5 seasons. At this point, the offense is always going to be predominantly 11 personnel, whether we like it or not.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Gave the draft another whirl and came up with the one below.

#17 Olumuyiwa Fashanu, T, Penn State

#48 Leonard Taylor, DT, Miami

#79 Ja'lyn Polk, WR, Washington

#117 "Bucky" Irving, RB, Oregon

#152 Cameron Ward, QB, Washington State

#176 Johnny Dixon, CB, Penn State

#192 Tate Ratledge, G, Georgia

#236 Dorian Singer, WR, USC

#254 Francisco Mauigoa, LB, Miami

I think we will definitely have to climb up the draft order for a realistic shot at Fashanu. I was quite happy Taylor was there in the 2nd, though we'd really have to hope Jones or Yoshi really shows something towards the end of this year.
Reply/Quote