Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full breakdown of La’el Collins week 6 VS the Saints
Just for the record I’m counting a rep as a win if La’el blocks his man so we’ll that Burrow doesn’t have to move because his man got free. So even if Burrow does some god like move and escapes a sack and makes a great play it’s still a rep loss for La’el.

Drive 1

Won every rep. This is the drive where Mixon missed a block pretty badly and gave up a sack.

Drive 2

Won every rep again. He kinda got beat on the 3rd and 2 but Cappa had already been beat and Joe was already scrambling.

So far he’s looking very strong. He’s not showing much agility but he’s looking strong.

Drive 3(Basically ended quarter TD to Mixon on a slant)

Won every rep on the drive. He is basically taking Cam Jordan out the game at this point. By my count he hasn’t lost 1 rep yet. This is the play Collins egged on the crowd too. By this point he knows he’s dominating. Cam Jordan appears to get mad on the TD play because he didn’t really try and get Burrow. He pushed Collins very high in what looks like a bull rush attempt but to me it looks like he just was frustrated and wanted to hit Collins.

Drive 4

Won every rep again

Drive 5

Lost 1 rep this drive. He utterly DESTROYED Jordan on a rep this drive. He man handled Jordan like he was a ***** and threw him to the ground.

La’el finally losses a rep and he lost it pretty badly on the Burrow 19 yard TD run. But that is literally what Burrow is gonna get paid 50 mill for on his next contract. He makes guys miss and scores anyway.

It’s halftime and the only assessment an unbiased person could give is that La’el is dominating.

Drive 6(Chase TD in the seam)

Lost a run block rep but lucky for us the play went to the left side of the line and got good yardage. But besides that play he dominated.

Drive 7(FG)
Losses the 1st rep of the drive on the play where Burrows pass got tipped and almost got picked but Tee saved it. Couple plays later he gets a bad holding call. Won every other play.

Drive 8(Chase TD)
Not many plays but La’el won the one play on this drive

Drive 9
Game over

For lack of better words La’el busted Jordan’s ass. Idk what PFF is gonna say but i literally just watched every offensive snap and La’el was not only good, he was a beast. Burrows quick release and escapability definitely made him look better but he had a great showing in his own right. The Saints La’el is a steal at the price we got him at.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Hope this was the sign of things to come throughout the rest of the season
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Maybe it was his back and it’s getting better. Him playing at that level is big.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 07:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe it was his back and it’s getting better. Him playing at that level is big.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/20/bengals-frank-pollack-explain-slow-start-lael-collins/

Here they are talking about him missing training camp live play and how it's affected his start.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
La'el Collins on the matchup with Cam Jorndan - "I think it was a tougher matchup for him. If you watch the tape, every time I played him, I beat his ass up and that's the bottom line"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9G7yTktp4Q

1:18
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 08:21 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: La'el Collins on the matchup with Cam Jorndan - "I think it was a tougher matchup for him. If you watch the tape, every time I played him, I beat his ass up and that's the bottom line"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9G7yTktp4Q

1:18

Lolol!!!

Ngl im not too much for the disrespect but it’s great to have a lineman that can claim he beat that ass

I wonder if Cam trash talked one day really bad and La’el just never forgot it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 07:16 PM)Housh Wrote: La’el finally losses a rep and he lost it pretty badly on the Burrow 19 yard TD run. But that is literally what Burrow is gonna get paid 50 mill for on his next contract. He makes guys miss and scores anyway.

This was a nickel blitz, LC recognized it late and he is responsible for that man, but he his lunge backwards to hit the blitzer on the shoulder was just enough to free up Joe to take off.  Great effort play even though it goes down as personal L.

Reply/Quote
Lets hope this is the new normal for him and not a fluke game. Him going from a liability to a solid tackle would be huge for us considering how solid the interior 3 have been in pass pro. Now we just need Jonah to figure it out and become solid. I might be imagining things but Burrow seems to have more pep in his step in the pocket last few games and I gotta think not getting crushed multiple times a game is the reason.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I think the OL takes another step and we run the ball better. I don’t think this is a good matchup for Atl. Their one backup corner is inexperienced Terrell the other not 100%. They are 31st in sacks and 31st in pass defense and 31st in opponent QB %. I think give Burrow time it’s a recipe for a long day. Cincy 35-21
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
La'el is a fine player and capable of being worlds better than what we've had on the right side over the last near decade. I'm still tempering my expectations relating to him being past some of the issues he has earlier. Speed rushers are still an issue for him, and Jordan isn't necessarily a speed guy.

It's tough to assess his improvement for many reasons. He was charged with handling two guys early in the season that were arguably two of the top 5 pass rushers in the league. Watt and Parsons will abuse just about any OL you run out there. His mental errors can be looked at as either lack of reps with a new team or lack of situational awareness (Baltimore shovel pass). You can line up just about any narrative you want relative to Collins right now. The only thing that solidifies his successful assimilation into the offense is more games like Sunday's.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 06:54 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Lets hope this is the new normal for him and not a fluke game.  Him going from a liability to a solid tackle would be huge for us considering how solid the interior 3 have been in pass pro.  Now we just need Jonah to figure it out and become solid.  I might be imagining things but Burrow seems to have more pep in his step in the pocket last few games and I gotta think not getting crushed multiple times a game is the reason.

The 1st five games are more flukes than this recent one based upon his career.  Hopefully it was a bad back, new system and playbook that were the cause for his poor play.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 11:02 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The 1st five games are more flukes than this recent one based upon his career.  Hopefully it was a bad back, new system and playbook that were the cause for his poor play.

And maybe getting into game-shape a bit.   I'm a fan of La'el.  I also believe he could be more dominant than he already has been (or at least higher lows) if he wanted to badly enough.  
Reply/Quote
La'el looked more fluid last week. Not as stiff. Also communication was better with him as well as the whole line.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 07:16 PM)Housh Wrote: For lack of better words La’el busted Jordan’s ass. Idk what PFF is gonna say but i literally just watched every offensive snap and La’el was not only good, he was a beast. Burrows quick release and escapability definitely made him look better but he had a great showing in his own right. The Saints La’el is a steal at the price we got him at.

FWIW, PFF dinged Collins with two total pressures - 1 hit and 1 hurry.
He also got dinged with 1 penalty.

They gave him a 63.3 run block score and a 60.3 pass block score.
A 57.1 overall given the penalty.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Awesome analysis. Collins bummed me out for the first few games. Burrow definitely does not have enough time. They’re already getting better. I’d be stunned if Bengals aren’t in the playoffs at the latest by next season. They’ll be hitting OL HARD this off season.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 09:57 AM)samhain Wrote: La'el is a fine player and capable of being worlds better than what we've had on the right side over the last near decade.  I'm still tempering my expectations relating to him being past some of the issues he has earlier.  Speed rushers are still an issue for him, and Jordan isn't necessarily a speed guy.  

It's tough to assess his improvement for many reasons.  He was charged with handling two guys early in the season that were arguably two of the top 5 pass rushers in the league.  Watt and Parsons will abuse just about any OL you run out there.  His mental errors can be looked at as either lack of reps with a new team or lack of situational awareness (Baltimore shovel pass).  You can line up just about any narrative you want relative to Collins right now.  The only thing that solidifies his successful assimilation into the offense is more games like Sunday's.

Nice post, but his back feeling better sure helps. Still think this was his biggest problem cause he was anything but athletic 
early in the season and I believe this was because of his back. When he is 100% he might be the most athletic OL in the NFL.

At least the biggest most athletic OL...
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post, but his back feeling better sure helps. Still think this was his biggest problem cause he was anything but athletic 
early in the season and I believe this was because of his back. When he is 100% he might be the most athletic OL in the NFL.

At least the biggest most athletic OL...

Yeah and as a person with back issues myself i know that those really zap your agility and quickness. If it’s bad enough every step hurts. Jumping is impossible and any quick redirection will hurt

I wonder if he changed his stretching routine pre game and in between drives

Weirdly enough when i started stretching correctly and often i actually felt no back pain anymore and was able to get back on the court and run basketball for hours. I never knew relieving back pain could be that easy.

With that said i had no structural damage to my back tho.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 09:23 PM)Housh Wrote: Yeah and as a person with back issues myself i know that those really zap your agility and quickness. If it’s bad enough every step hurts. Jumping is impossible and any quick redirection will hurt

I wonder if he changed his stretching routine pre game and in between drives

Weirdly enough when i started stretching correctly and often i actually felt no back pain anymore and was able to get back on the court and run basketball for hours. I never knew relieving back pain could be that easy.

With that said i had no structural damage to my back tho.

My back issues were the same. Nothing structural. Stretching did the trick. What happens--or i should say happened to me--was that my glutes and hamstrings would tense up and pull the muscles of my lower back, throwing things out of whack and causing issues. As long as i stretched properly, and often enough, i could do anything with no issues. 

It was my chiropractor that knew what was going on and gave me the stretching exercises that fixed things.

It's the same way now. If i don't stretch those muscles out regularly, i have issues. When i'm done with a good stretch, no problemo at all. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote