Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full offseason mock with FA
I think I'm ready to move on from Tyler Eifert. They need to sign Dunlap and Geno Atkins. If the Cincinnati Bengals would sign the guard that you mention or the tackle that would be more realistic. Personally I would sign the free agent tackle and stick with the drafted way you have it. I would swap Price and Edmunds in terms of order. Then swap Price with the Jefferson.

I think the team should be done with Andre Smith and even the punter. I like the tight end that you have listed but I don't think ragnow will be there where you have him.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 04:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think I'm ready to move on from Tyler Eifert.  They need to sign Dunlap and Geno Atkins.  If the Cincinnati Bengals would sign the guard that you mention or the tackle that would be more realistic.  Personally I would sign the free agent tackle and stick with the drafted way you have it.  I would swap Price and Edmunds in terms of order.  Then swap Price with the Jefferson.

I think the team should be done with Andre Smith and even the punter.  I like the tight end that you have listed but I don't think ragnow will be there where you have him.

I'd only go for Eifert at a steep discount since it would save having to use an earlier draft pick on a tight end.  I'd be fine with just signing Norwell.  Unfortunately I think it's a good bet that Price is gone before round 2.  I think Tennessee is a lock to pick him at 25 if we don't get him sooner.  The more I see, the more I think Edmunds may be gone before pick 12.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 12:42 AM)pledgi Wrote: I'd only go for Eifert at a steep discount since it would save having to use an earlier draft pick on a tight end.  I'd be fine with just signing Norwell.  Unfortunately I think it's a good bet that Price is gone before round 2.  I think Tennessee is a lock to pick him at 25 if we don't get him sooner.  The more I see, the more I think Edmunds may be gone before pick 12.  

I'd be happy with Norwell especially if Westerman can be Center.  I guess we'll know more after the combine.  If Edmunds is gone then there is a good chance that Smith will be there.  I just hope the Cincinnati Bengals make the right choice whomever that player is at number 12.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 01:07 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I'd be happy with Norwell especially if Westerman can be Center.  I guess we'll know more after the combine.  If Edmunds is gone then there is a good chance that Smith will be there.  I just hope the Cincinnati Bengals make the right choice whomever that player is at number 12.

I'd be okay with Westerman if he was battling with a more experienced center.  We'd need two in this scenario since I'm getting rid of TJ.  I think Ragnow in the third (comp) or fourth would be excellent competition.  
Reply/Quote
Stated earlier how I would like seeing Jaire Alexander lining up in stripes with WJ3.

But still not happy with him for skipping the bowl game.

Think players should leave early and go pro if it is an option for them.

Will never agree that they should skip bowl game when healthy to protect that option.

The school afforded them a platform to showcase their skills and they should at least finish the season imo.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 04:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think I'm ready to move on from Tyler Eifert.  They need to sign Dunlap and Geno Atkins.  If the Cincinnati Bengals would sign the guard that you mention or the tackle that would be more realistic.  Personally I would sign the free agent tackle and stick with the drafted way you have it.  I would swap Price and Edmunds in terms of order.  Then swap Price with the Jefferson.

I think the team should be done with Andre Smith and even the punter.  I like the tight end that you have listed but I don't think ragnow will be there where you have him.

I'm already preparing myself for a letdown in FA based on what Mike Brown said in his interview with Jim Owczarski.
Quote:We try to spend our cap money in ways that we think make sense. Our goal is to retain our own good players if we can. That’s the first order of business. And we can’t always do that with the cap room that we have. We do a lot of it. that is quickly overlooked whenever we do it. Oh, go do this, go do that. Well, the chips to do that have been spent. They’re gone. We look to do what we can within our cap room. We do every year, and we will this year. We will have to allocate the cap room that we have to a combination of our own players, and that will be first and foremost, and then it will be what else we can do to add the team.

The Bengals are expected to have about $39 mill of cap space, which is actually less than what they had last year entering FA ($43 mill).
They used the cap space by:
Re-signing Kirkpatrick to a 5-year, $52.5 mill deal averaging $10.5 mill a year.
Re-signing TJ Johnson to a 2-year, $3.475 mill deal averaging $1.7 mill a year.
Re-signing Brandon LaFell to a 2-year, $9 mill deal averaging $4.5 a year.

That ate up about $17 mill in cap for 2017 alone.
They added lower-tier vets Andre Smith ($3.25 mill) and Kevin Minter ($4.25 mill) for a total of $7.5 mill more, which means 43-17-7.5 = $18.5 mill in cap space remaining.

This remaining cap space was reserved for extensions to Burfict and Harris along with draft picks and injury reservation. The Bengals still have $11 mill of that, which is expected to roll over to 2018.

Now we're already hearing about money reserved for Atkins and Dunlap, plus a potential re-signing of other impending Bengals FAs like Eifert.

Unless the Bengals make some cuts to free up more cap space, I'm not expecting any quality FA to be signed from outside the organization and even expecting the Bengals to retain someone who the fans don't actually want to see retained.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 12:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm already preparing myself for a letdown in FA based on what Mike Brown said in his interview with Jim Owczarski.

The Bengals are expected to have about $39 mill of cap space, which is actually less than what they had last year entering FA ($43 mill).
Re-signing Kirkpatrick to a 5-year, $52.5 mill deal averaging $10.5 mill a year.

They added lower-tier vets Andre Smith ($3.25 mill) and Kevin Minter ($4.25 mill) for a total of $7.5 mill more, which means 43-17-7.5 = $18.5 mill in cap space remaining.

This remaining cap space was reserved for extensions to Burfict and Harris along with draft picks and injury reservation. The Bengals still have $11 mill of that, which is expected to roll over to 2018.

Now we're already hearing about money reserved for Atkins and Dunlap, plus a potential re-signing of other impending Bengals FAs like Eifert.

Unless the Bengals make some cuts to free up more cap space, I'm not expecting any quality FA to be signed from outside the organization and even expecting the Bengals to retain someone who the fans don't actually want to see retained.
This is what gets me is why the hell won't they cut the shitty players. They don't need Jones, they don't need Laffell, they don't need Rey, and they don't need Johnson. That's what 17 million right there?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 12:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm already preparing myself for a letdown in FA based on what Mike Brown said in his interview with Jim Owczarski.

They have to sign Atkins and Dunlap.  I hope they don't sign eifert and just move on. I'm all for letting Adam Jones go.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:23 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: This is what gets me is why the hell won't they cut the shitty players. They don't need Jones, they don't need Laffell, they don't need Rey, and they don't need Johnson. That's what 17 million right there?

Believe me, I also thinks it makes a ton of sense to cut at least Jones and LaFell. I think MJ also makes sense to cut but can understand if they keep him if they don't get an interior pass rusher in the draft. I think VRey should stay but should stay in his role of backup LB. But yes, cutting Jones and LaFell alone would result in $10+ mill saved.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 01:37 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: They have to sign Atkins and Dunlap.  I hope they don't sign eifert and just move on. I'm all for letting Adam Jones go.

I'd like for them to actually get Atkins and Dunlap locked up before FA starts or at least before the draft. If before FA, it reduces the chance of a bunch of cap still sitting around after the draft. If after FA but before the draft, it would still help in determining where the Bengals should invest a pick on an interior pass rusher.

I too think it makes sense to move on from Eifert. I don't like players taking up multiple millions of the cap when there's such a high likelihood they don't play a full season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 07:07 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I freaking love van der tesch. I think Edmunds ends up being a top 10 pick when all is said and done, possibly top 5. And I honestly don't want ot this year except maybe a project tackle late. Next year is super deep.

Leighton Vander Esch in Rd 3 would be perfect. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd like for them to actually get Atkins and Dunlap locked up before FA starts or at least before the draft. If before FA, it reduces the chance of a bunch of cap still sitting around after the draft. If after FA but before the draft, it would still help in determining where the Bengals should invest a pick on an interior pass rusher.

I too think it makes sense to move on from Eifert. I don't like players taking up multiple millions of the cap when there's such a high likelihood they don't play a full season.

With regard to interior D-line, maybe, just maybe they can sign Poe.  He is 28.  If the Bengals went 3-4 Poe could be NT.   If they get Edmunds (backer)  the Front 7 could look like this:

Dunlap-Poe-Atkins
Vigil-Edmunds-Burfict-Lawson

That would be pretty daunting.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote

All excellent points.  I cut Jones and Johnson in my scenario and didn't re-sign Minter. This draft has a lot of quality inside backers to replace Minter as well as good interior linemen and corners.  I think they could easily get away with ditching LaFell if Marv wasn't so hesitant to play younger players.  We've got Boyd, Erickson, Ross, Core, Malone, Green and probably another young receiver in the late rounds of the draft.  LaFell is simply taking up a spot that we could use to develop young talent at this point.  
Bringing Smith back is the only one that makes any sense.    
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 07:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: With regard to interior D-line, maybe, just maybe they can sign Poe.  He is 28.  If the Bengals went 3-4 Poe could be NT.   If they get Edmunds (backer)  the Front 7 could look like this:

Dunlap-Poe-Atkins
Vigil-Edmunds-Burfict-Lawson

That would be pretty daunting.  

Signing a NT for $8+ million while also extending Dunlap and Atkins (likely both $10+ mill?) would be a ALOT of money spent on DL. And they are very weak right now at OL with little money spent there.
While I wouldn't be against it, I think the Bengals would have an easier time finding a quality NT in the draft and sign a FA for OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 10:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Signing a NT for $8+ million while also extending Dunlap and Atkins (likely both $10+ mill?) would be a ALOT of money spent on DL. And they are very weak right now at OL with little money spent there.
While I wouldn't be against it, I think the Bengals would have an easier time finding a quality NT in the draft and sign a FA for OL.

What does "quality" mean? Not disagreeing with your point, actually agree with you. I have seen that term used a lot here and in press conferences. Does that mean, he does nothing special, but shows up to work and does his job? Ok but nothing special kind of thing...
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:57 PM)sandwedge Wrote: What does "quality" mean? Not disagreeing with your point, actually agree with you. I have seen that term used a lot here and in press conferences. Does that mean, he does nothing special, but shows up to work and does his job? Ok but nothing special kind of thing...

Quality means a solid starter at minimum.
"Average" performance or better. Like a Shawn Williams kinda guy. Or Clint Boling.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 10:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Signing a NT for $8+ million while also extending Dunlap and Atkins (likely both $10+ mill?) would be a ALOT of money spent on DL. And they are very weak right now at OL with little money spent there.

If we're gonna go the 3-4 route, I think it would make more sense to sign an O-lineman in FA like Norwell and draft Vita Vea since he will land at about the 12 spot.  That way you have a dominant d-line without breaking the bank and add to the offense simultaneously.  I wonder, though if it wouldn't be superior to draft Billy Price as center and move Bodine to right guard since he is a pretty strong and nasty competitor.  That could potentially turn one pick into two solid o-lineman.  I'm still not sold on extending Dunlap right away.  I think Geno will command at least $12 mill on an extension given what Suh and Donald have commanded, thought Donald is more of a DE at this point. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 03:55 AM)pledgi Wrote: If we're gonna go the 3-4 route, I think it would make more sense to sign an O-lineman in FA like Norwell and draft Vita Vea since he will land at about the 12 spot.  That way you have a dominant d-line without breaking the bank and add to the offense simultaneously.  I wonder, though if it wouldn't be superior to draft Billy Price as center and move Bodine to right guard since he is a pretty strong and nasty competitor.  That could potentially turn one pick into two solid o-lineman.  I'm still not sold on extending Dunlap right away.  I think Geno will command at least $12 mill on an extension given what Suh and Donald have commanded, thought Donald is more of a DE at this point. 

I definitely like the idea of getting a new center. Sure, there's the potential of Frank Pollack actually coaching Bodine into a quality center, but is that something worth the risk given how OL has derailed the past two seasons?
Also, Bodine is a FA, so he'd have to be re-signed to be playing. If he re-signs, I'd prefer he backs up a drafted center and let Westerman start at one of the guard spots. Have Redmond be the swing interior OL.
I would be OK with Vea as a 3-4 NT, but I would also feel like it's giving up too quickly on Andrew Billings. Andrew Billings gets one more year to impress me before I would look for a replacement.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I definitely like the idea of getting a new center. Sure, there's the potential of Frank Pollack actually coaching Bodine into a quality center, but is that something worth the risk given how OL has derailed the past two seasons?
Also, Bodine is a FA, so he'd have to be re-signed to be playing. If he re-signs, I'd prefer he backs up a drafted center and let Westerman start at one of the guard spots. Have Redmond be the swing interior OL.
I would be OK with Vea as a 3-4 NT, but I would also feel like it's giving up too quickly on Andrew Billings. Andrew Billings gets one more year to impress me before I would look for a replacement.

I'm with you on Billings as long as the powers that be allow younger players to contribute as they might.  I think Marvin's tendency to wait on younger players has closed a talent window that could have propelled us to great things.  Now the window is closing with Green, Dalton, Dunlap, and Atkins etc aging.  It's time for all hands on deck when it comes to a playoff push.  Use the young guys now like you did with Green and Dalton in years past.  
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 04:58 AM)pledgi Wrote: I'm with you on Billings as long as the powers that be allow younger players to contribute as they might.  I think Marvin's tendency to wait on younger players has closed a talent window that could have propelled us to great things.  Now the window is closing with Green, Dalton, Dunlap, and Atkins etc aging.  It's time for all hands on deck when it comes to a playoff push.  Use the young guys now like you did with Green and Dalton in years past.  

If the Bengals are true to their stripes, they will instead bring in some B or C tier veteran to start at NT vs spending a first rounder at the position to start over essentially a sophomore in Billings.

But I agree, the playoff push needs to happen in the next 2-3 years or it's going to be another reset.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote