Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fusion Power
As many of you know I work in the oil and gas industry.  i am a geoscientist.  I find oil and gas.

But I have always been interested in Fusion Power because first I am a scientist that has always been fascinated by fusion.  However, I was recently on oilprice.com and saw an article on fusion and read it.  See below:

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Nuclear-Power/The-Multi-Billion-Dollar-Start-Of-A-Nuclear-Fusion-Boom.html

Specifically at the end was a link to the largest fusion project in the world and likely the largest project of ANY kind in the history of the world, to build the first positive energy fusion reactor.  See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIRdKDMhGUQ&ab_channel=iterorganization

I did not even know this existed and I casually follow fusion.  This is amazing, impressive, beyond words and scary all at the same time.  
Google
ITER fusion 
for more information.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What an interesting OP!

I’m more familiar with the traditional nuclear fuel cycle where energy is produced via fission but fusion looks promising.

From my nuclear physics classes I remember the professor describing a tokamak which comes from the Russian тороидальная камера с магнитными катушками, a doughnut shaped chamber which magnetically contains the products from fusion and stores heat in the walls.

If memory serves deuterium-tritium fusion looks to be the most energetically favorable; I wonder if that’s still true.
Reply/Quote
I’m really surprised I never heard of this
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 01:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m really surprised I never heard of this

You and me both.
Reply/Quote
ITER is 100 km from where I live, it started a long long way ago so I'm definitely aware of it.

If it blows away, I'll be at first sits.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 06:12 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: ITER is 100 km from where I live, it started a long long way ago so I'm definitely aware of it.

If it blows away, I'll be at first sits.

Free front row seats
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 07:35 PM)Stewy Wrote: Free front row seats

Thanks. I didn't have it.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
I can’t even comprehend how these people think.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Nice lengthy detailed article on ITER. This is from CNN, and what I like about it is that everything is explained in Layman language. Happy reading!

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/05/world/iter-nuclear-fusion-climate-intl-cnnphotos/
Reply/Quote
Haven't we been "10 years away from fusion energy" for like 60 years now?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
When can I get one in my car?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 10:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: When can I get one in my car?

That would be the Back to the Future Flux Capacitor..  Stop by your local DeLorean dealership for fast, friendly installation at a price you can afford! 
(You gotta go ahead then back in time then forward again, but details, details, details.. What can ya do these days?)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
OH NOZE! China! (Time to pretend to panic everyone!)
https://youtu.be/oGE9MmG4zhk

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The first step has been made.

Energy GAINED from a nuclear fusion reaction.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/politics/nuclear-fusion-energy-us-scientists-climate/index.html

It is a long way from commercial application, but this was/is the first time ever that more energy was gained vs. used, and that is staggering.

Fusion isn't just about energy for us, but also it is the pathway to the stars.

Just thought I'd share.
Reply/Quote
I just saw this article on cnn (also see it posted above)…this is so fn cool and makes me hopeful.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 01:55 PM)Stewy Wrote: The first step has been made.

Energy GAINED from a nuclear fusion reaction.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/politics/nuclear-fusion-energy-us-scientists-climate/index.html

It is a long way from commercial application, but this was/is the first time ever that more energy was gained vs. used, and that is staggering.

Fusion isn't just about energy for us, but also it is the pathway to the stars.

Just thought I'd share.

Absolutely astonishing, thanks for posting. 
Reply/Quote
Now that is a big f’n deal
Reply/Quote
Kind of a red herring IMO.. It takes an ENORMOUS amount of energy to get there to produce fusion power and the Chinese have already done it or so they claim although I'm not to keen on believing a damned thing China says..Most everything they claim to have done has been through CGI fuckery.. 

Reply/Quote
It's cool they managed to get positive energy, but I laughed when I read the part that the gain was enough to boil 10 kettles of water. My mind immediately jumped to the fact that the best minds in the world spent decades of effort and tens of billions of dollars (or more?)... and they finally are getting near the ability of just a couple of pieces of split firewood.

Just made me chuckle when I realized that. Here's to hoping they continue to figure things out further.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2022, 05:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's cool they managed to get positive energy, but I laughed when I read the part that the gain was enough to boil 10 kettles of water. My mind immediately jumped to the fact that the best minds in the world spent decades of effort and tens of billions of dollars (or more?)... and they finally are getting near the ability of just a couple of pieces of split firewood.

Just made me chuckle when I realized that. Here's to hoping they continue to figure things out further.

As I have said in other Fusion discussions, practical application of fusion tech into our lives is likely more than 100 years away.

But this was a first step, and sooner than I expected TBH.  It is irrelevant how little energy net was gained because this was the first time there was any net AT ALL.  We move forward from here.

p.s. - In response to gramps - If the Chinese don't provide proof then their liars.
Reply/Quote