Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of our Center Position
Actually he struggles with Guards too. The only Guards he successfully developed are Zeitler, Steinbach and Boling. Big Z came out of a pro style program that is famous for delivering pro ready linemen and so did Steinbach. Our other good guard likewise came to us already properly coached up (Bobbie Williams). Note that Boling is the only low round pick at G or C he actually developed successfully.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Isn't Johnson supposedly a guy who they like and just resigned. maybe he gets more reps. Bodine has gotten a bit better than when he first came in. Hopefully all that coaching works out and he makes a leap this year. I'm excited to see how these guys play this year so we know who stays and who goes.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:31 PM)Okeana Wrote: Isn't Johnson supposedly a guy who they like and just resigned.  maybe he gets more reps.  Bodine has gotten a bit better than when he first came in.  Hopefully all that coaching works out and he makes a leap this year.  I'm excited to see how these guys play this year so we know who stays and who goes.

Bodine is still pretty awful.

The weird thing is last season they actually woke up briefly and benched Bodine for Johnson. And all of a sudden the OL looked decent and we rolled right down the field and scored a TD. Then of course they put Bodine back in and the ineptitude resumed...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually he struggles with Guards too. The only Guards he successfully developed are Zeitler, Steinbach and Boling. Big Z came out of a pro style program that is famous for delivering pro ready linemen and so did Steinbach. Our other good guard likewise came to us already properly coached up (Bobbie Williams). Note that Boling is the only low round pick at G or C he actually developed successfully.

Livings left here and got a starting contract in Dallas, he went from un drafted to decent starter. Mathis left here and went on to a very prosperous career in Philly, but I think the scheme change helped him a lot. In reality he has only had a couple years where he couldn't put a functioning guard out there.
Reply/Quote
Livings? Decent? He was a disaster at LG, and the Cowboys were laughed at for giving him a contract. And it turned out those laughing were on the ball because Livings stunk it up in Dallas and got benched, went on IR and was cut.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Livings? Decent? He was a disaster at LG, and the Cowboys were laughed at for giving him a contract. And it turned out those laughing were on the ball because Livings stunk it up in Dallas and got benched, went on IR and was cut.

He was inconsistent but a capable NFL O lineman, and he was an UDFA. I'd say going from UDFA to even a below average starting NFL lineman is doing something from a coaching stand point.
Reply/Quote
Agreed.

Some of our guys start because there just isn't anyone better here. Bodine as a 4th Round pick starting from Day 1 is an example. It's not like he beat out an incumbant Center who was average.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 10:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What is the future of the Center position?

I believe that Bodine is a free agent after this season? Do we keep him? (Before you say No...how do we replace him?)

We also drafted a developmental guy in the late rounds...but he had some injury issues and I don't think he'd be starting quality in a Year...

Thoughts?

hope i'm wrong, but he's our guy for a while.  For some unknown reason the love the dude.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:52 PM)Benton Wrote: I think they'll look for someone on practice squads to pick up and kick the tires. But most likely, it's Bodine going forward as we haven't drafted a replacement.

Marvin tends to push linemen in slow. Bodine was an exception based on need (Cook's injury degraded his playing). I'd think f he wanted someone to replace Bodine, they're already on the roster. I know some have commented maybe Westerman, but I think they really like him at guard.

Agreed about Westerman.  They feel pretty good about TJ Johnson if they are unable to sign Bodine for a realistic dollar amount. 

Word is the Browns are planning on offering him $9 million per year.   Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
According to Hobson, the Bengals are "all in" on Bodine and are grooming an array of current backups to replace him if he leaves in FA after this year.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/5/16/15641776/bengals-all-in-russell-bodine-grooming-replacements-2018
Quote: Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander is all in on Bodine and his backups, who could replace him if doesn’t re-sign after this season, are their own young guys. They’re developing guys like T.J. Johnson, whom they just gave a two-year extension, 2016 fifth-rounder Christian Westerman, promising second-year college free agent Alex Redmond, and injury-plagued Trey Hopkins. And, well, if Bodine doesn’t re-sign, overthecap.com says they’ll get a third-round compensatory pick for losing right guard Kevin Zeitler.

This leads me to believe that they are content with what they have at C, feel confident they can groom a quality replacement if anything happens to Bodine (although quality is subjective), and likely won't spend higher than a 3rd comp pick on a C in 2018 and that's only if Bodine leaves and the active backups in Johnson, Westerman, Redmond, and Hopkins haven't met their standards for C performance.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This franchise seems to have never valued the C position for the past 20 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 10:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What is the future of the Center position?

I believe that Bodine is a free agent after this season? Do we keep him? (Before you say No...how do we replace him?)

We also drafted a developmental guy in the late rounds...but he had some injury issues and I don't think he'd be starting quality in a Year...

Thoughts?

I think they let Bodine go hopefully and draft a Center next year with our 3rd round comp.

Deilman will compete with this guy. I just want a decent O-line coach is all.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think they let Bodine go hopefully and draft a Center next year with our 3rd round comp.

Deilman will compete with this guy. I just want a decent O-line coach is all.

People like you and I, along with several others on here, keep hoping that the Bengals will start taking the Center position seriously.  Perhaps one day, it will actually happen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People like you and I, along with several others on here, keep hoping that the Bengals will start taking the Center position seriously.  Perhaps one day, it will actually happen.

No doubt Sunset, it is one of the most important positions on the team contrary to the way the team handles it.

If we had a stud Center it would improve our team as a whole more than anything but coaching.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually he struggles with Guards too. The only Guards he successfully developed are Zeitler, Steinbach and Boling. Big Z came out of a pro style program that is famous for delivering pro ready linemen and so did Steinbach. Our other good guard likewise came to us already properly coached up (Bobbie Williams). Note that Boling is the only low round pick at G or C he actually developed successfully.

(05-01-2017, 04:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: Bodine is still pretty awful.

The weird thing is last season they actually woke up briefly and benched Bodine for Johnson. And all of a sudden the OL looked decent and we rolled right down the field and scored a TD. Then of course they put Bodine back in and the ineptitude resumed...

(05-01-2017, 04:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Livings? Decent? He was a disaster at LG, and the Cowboys were laughed at for giving him a contract. And it turned out those laughing were on the ball because Livings stunk it up in Dallas and got benched, went on IR and was cut.

Joelist nailed it. Spot on man.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: Bodine is still pretty awful.

They also gave Johnson the start at LG, late in the season, over the other young guys.  Then, they re-sign him in the offseason.  Perhaps he will be one of those developmental guys that actually develops into a polished player?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 09:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They also gave Johnson the start at LG, late in the season, over the other young guys.  Then, they re-sign him in the offseason.  Perhaps he will be one of those developmental guys that actually develops into a polished player?

I actually thought TJ looked very good at LG. Hard for me to believe he would be a good Center after sucking in the
Preseason all these years against 3rd and 4th stringers but maybe the light finally came on. That would be great. :andy:
Reply/Quote
Remember the offense of line plays as a unit. Bodine had the luxury of having big Z to help him out. It'll be interesting to see if he improves with Andre Smith on the Right Guard side.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 01:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Remember the offense of line plays as a unit.  Bodine had the luxury of having big Z to help him out.  It'll be interesting to see if he improves with Andre Smith on the Right Guard side.

Actually might. Andre has more power than Zeitler and is a much better run blocker. Andre just has to stay healthy as he
has been injured for a fair amount of this career. Boling being 100% should help Bodine a lot to the left of him unlike last
year when Boling was playing with a bum shoulder all year.
Reply/Quote

....and even though Boling was a low rounder, he was touted as one of the best, if not the best, guard prospects in his class.  He was also projected as high as the second round by draftniks that year.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote