Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G - Ronald Leary
(02-17-2017, 04:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zeitler is the Top ranked Guard in free agency.

Westerman hasn't played a single down as a starting Guard. If you think there won't be a falloff...

As far as paying a Guard $10+ million a year...it's not like the Bengals are going to shift that money to another Top Tier free agent.

It amazes me how fans won't spend money on Player A...because it's too much. Well DeCastro is a comparable player to Zeitler and the Steelers game him that much. It's how much top Guards cost.

Sure the Bengals have a clean salary cap. But they also haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years. We're supposed to be following the Steelers model. The gave a Guard $10+ million a year.

Of course not. They'll likely re-sign LaFell and Peko with most of the money saved from Zeitler and pocket the rest for "upcoming free agents in 2018".
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 04:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zeitler is the Top ranked Guard in free agency.

Westerman hasn't played a single down as a starting Guard. If you think there won't be a falloff...

As far as paying a Guard $10+ million a year...it's not like the Bengals are going to shift that money to another Top Tier free agent.

It amazes me how fans won't spend money on Player A...because it's too much. Well DeCastro is a comparable player to Zeitler and the Steelers game him that much. It's how much top Guards cost.

Sure the Bengals have a clean salary cap. But they also haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years. We're supposed to be following the Steelers model. The gave a Guard $10+ million a year.

That's just it.  The bengals never seem to divert money elsewhere.  There's no outside the box thinking here.  The type of thinking that is if we cut mauluga we save x dollars and combined with zeitlers money gets us player y.  Mikey b is too loyal on contracts.  It's why he was never caving to Carson Palmer, not that he should have.  Or asked Leon hall to take a pay cut towards the end of his career, which he should have.  It's still all about the bottom line here. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 06:39 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That's just it.  The bengals never seem to divert money elsewhere.  There's no outside the box thinking here.  The type of thinking that is if we cut mauluga we save x dollars and combined with zeitlers money gets us player y.  Mikey b is too loyal on contracts.  It's why he was never caving to Carson Palmer, not that he should have.  Or asked Leon hall to take a pay cut towards the end of his career, which he should have.  It's still all about the bottom line here. 

Exactly. People who want to not pay Zeitler $10 million and start Westerman are essentially saying 'Pay that money to yourself Mike Brown.'

It's not like the Bengals are going to use that money on Alshon Jeffery.

You'll hear PR that signing Whitworth and Kirkpatrick and the rookie class with the extra draft picks ate up all the cap. The reality is they could cut players that aren't performing and the cap generally goes up each year.

Plus, the rollover cap money can be used to offset some of it if used creatively.

The Steelers and Patriots use the cap creatively and people always say they'll have cap issues...but they rarely do as they restructure contracts frequently.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd like to bring Wisienewski in at Center. He's been above average everywhere he goes...but never ends up sticking. He'd be an immediate upgrade to Bodine.

Good one, this would free up the draft and you have an experienced Center in the NFL instead of a rookie.

This is a weak FA class for Center but Wisnewski would be a great pick up for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 05:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good one, this would free up the draft and you have an experienced Center in the NFL instead of a rookie.

This is a weak FA class for Center but Wisnewski would be a great pick up for the Bengals.

I don't think he'll break the bank either. He played for about $1.5 million last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 05:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think he'll break the bank either. He played for about $1.5 million last year.

Wow, i am liking this more and more Pistons. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote