Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENO SPEAKS!!!
So, for those of you who follow me on Twitter (or Paul) or listen to the podcast, you all know that trying to get Geno Atkins to talk to me has kind of become a thing the last two+ years. Well, he finally did (largely to avoid a fine).

It was oddly glorious in its terribleness.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/31/cincinnati-bengals-geno-atkins-speaks-first-time-nearly-two-years/619014001/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
lol why to avoid a fine? Are there media rules?!?!?! That's awesome if there are! lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Geno being Geno. And I wouldn't want him any other way. Thanks for posting, Jim. Good luck getting another interview with him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yes there are rules - every player in the league has to be available to the media and speak. That's why the whole Marshawn Lynch thing became, well, a thing, a few years ago.

Now, they can do whatever they want in that setting. They can actually talk, or just repeat a word or phrase for every answer. Doesn't really matter - it's just that they speak.

If they totally refuse, they can get a pretty big fine from the league for not doing it.

Some behind the scenes - we've been reluctant to go to the league. We could have in each of the last two years. But, we're not really like that locally. But this year, approaching the third regular season without the best player on the team talking, we kind of had to lean on him. So, this was the result.

It's meant to be funny. We don't want to hammer a guy for something he really doesn't want to do.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Many thanks Jim, for the insight.

Have a great time in Indy!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 11:00 AM)jowczarski Wrote: So, for those of you who follow me on Twitter (or Paul) or listen to the podcast, you all know that trying to get Geno Atkins to talk to me has kind of become a thing the last two+ years. Well, he finally did (largely to avoid a fine).

It was oddly glorious in its terribleness.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/31/cincinnati-bengals-geno-atkins-speaks-first-time-nearly-two-years/619014001/

That was Andrew Billings so you still have not interviewed Geno in my book.     Ninja
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting Jim,

Geno is just the type that could have a 10 sack game and he's not gonna boast in any way about it. "just doing my job"

Makes me love him even more !
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 03:19 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: That was Andrew Billings so you still have not interviewed Geno in my book.     Ninja

The video at the top is of the page is Billings, but the text below is his interview with Geno.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:31 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: The video at the top is of the page is Billings, but the text below is his interview with Geno.

Yes, I know, but without video proof, I am not buying it.  

Anyone can do this ..

Marlon23:  So Geno how is your family and Kids

Geno: Yes, Good.

Marlon23:  Do you like potatoes and cream cheese?

Geno: Yes and No

Marlon23:   Care to elaborate?

Geno:  No.

Marlon23:  Ok, well that about wraps it up with Geno

Marlon23:  Anything else you like to Add Mr. Geno

Geno:  No.   
Reply/Quote
Jim, in this instance and this instance only, I will waive my objections to participation trophies if you want to buy yourself one for that article.

You deserve it for even getting him to talk. Still remember him being just silent and messing with his hat for his Top 100 interview. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He gave an interview to some YouTuber a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifH6HBXXATo

I don't even think that the dude knew it was Atkins until he uploaded the video.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if this counts as speaking lol
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 02:02 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He gave an interview to some YouTuber a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifH6HBXXATo

I don't even think that the dude knew it was Atkins until he uploaded the video.
Geno was like hey quiet. lol cool guy. Just like no need to say this.. kinda didnt want him to know any different just wanting to be a dude like the rest of us.. just dudes.
Reply/Quote
@Marlon23 - That was Andrew Billings so you still have not interviewed Geno in my book.

You're not serious are you?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 10:51 AM)jowczarski Wrote: @Marlon23 - That was Andrew Billings so you still have not interviewed Geno in my book.

You're not serious are you?

That's gotta be a tough part of the job trying to talk to someone who doesnt want to speak. Hats off to both you and Geno. You got through it. LOL.

Reply/Quote