Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOD COPS: NEW MOTTO GRACES POLICE CARS
I wonder how different the posts would be in this thread if the sticker were a Rainbow
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-23-2015, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wonder how different the posts would be in this thread if the sticker were a Rainbow

Same to me.  Its silly and unnecessary.  What message would that even be?  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-23-2015, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wonder how different the posts would be in this thread if the sticker were a Rainbow

Personally, I would still be against that for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. But, how different would your posts be if it were a rainbow sticker?
(07-23-2015, 09:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: Same to me.  Its silly and unnecessary.  What message would that even be?  

Exactly.
(07-23-2015, 10:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Personally, I would still be against that for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. But, how different would your posts be if it were a rainbow sticker?

I would be against the message they were conveying; sort of like I was the rainbow White House. Were you OK with the Rainbow White House?

I'd have the same issue if their logo was a rainbow and their motto said:  Bigots, Christians, People who think being gay is a choice YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Because to me the thing seems like they are bragging about profiling.  They're warning non-believers, or people who believe in something else they they are coming for them, or something...the whole thing is vague and goofy and I don't see it having any real life effect  Why didn't they warn people who believe in god but still break American laws?  The whole thing is just stupid. People who believe in god get arrested all time, I just think they have a lot of nerve to act like people who don't believe in their particular brand of hokum should fear the law.

I sort of reminds me of the notion some people have that it is implausible for someone who doesn't believe in hell to actually NOT go around murdering and raping people. Funny, I can not be a monster even though I'm pretty sure when I die I'm not going to have to spend an eternity in Lucifer's rec room...guess I'm insane!
(07-24-2015, 11:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd have the same issue if their logo was a rainbow and their motto said:  Bigots, Christians, People who think being gay is a choice YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Because to me the thing seems like they are bragging about profiling.  They're warning non-believers, or people who believe in something else they they are coming for them, or something...the whole thing is vague and goofy and I don't see it having any real life effect  Why didn't they warn people who believe in god but still break American laws?  The whole thing is just stupid.  People who believe in god get arrested all time, I just think they have a lot of nerve to act like people who don't believe in their particular brand of hokum should fear the law.

I sort of reminds me of the notion some people have that it is implausible for someone who doesn't believe in hell to actually NOT go around murdering and raping people.  Funny, I can not be a monster even though I'm pretty sure when I die I'm not going to have to spend an eternity in Lucifer's rec room...guess I'm insane!

Are we sure they put that on the picture and not the author, or are you just having fun?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-24-2015, 11:36 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Are we sure they put that on the picture and not the author, or are you just having fun?

I'm going a bit overboard, but other pictures on that provided article show mention of the Christian Bible on the department's website and also mention the policemen being sent by God (their capitalization, not mine) to combat evil.  So, even though "in god we trust" is a general term they are making a point to cite Christian doctrine and capitalize and specify which god, which undoes the generalities I'd want to see in a government agency.

As for that quote, I'm not sure who put that on there, nor where the photo is from but I haven't seen anything to dissuade my belief that the department would denounce it.  Honestly, if they have an issue with it then they should politely ask for it to be removed and for external people to kindly not assign them what I see to be rather tasteless motives.
(07-23-2015, 08:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The latest Gallup poll (2011) shows that over 9 out of every 10 Americans believe in God. The latest Harris poll has it around 8 of 10.

Folks that frequent this forum most likely find that hard to believe and many here are mad that this is a fact of the citizenry of the United States. That fact that 1 or 2 out of every 10 Americans does not believe in God does not make it wrong for this elected force to place these stickers on their cars. No matter how mad it makes them.

If there is bias shown by this Police force; then you and others may have a point. Until then you're just the little boy crying Wolf.

The percentage of people who believe in God has ZERO to do with it.  But thanks for giving the perfect example of why connecting God to law enforcement is a bad idea.  It gives a strong impression that these cops are just like you and feel that enforcing the law based on their God's will is just and fair because their God is the majority God in America. Why would you puy "In God We Trust" on your police cars if you are going to defy the will of that God?

Whites are the majority in this country, but I don't think that makes it okay to put "White Power" stickers on police cars.
(07-23-2015, 08:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The latest Gallup poll (2011) shows that over 9 out of every 10 Americans believe in God. The latest Harris poll has it around 8 of 10.

Right, but God doesn't mean people believe in the Christian god aligned with this police force.  Besides, if belief in a god were enough to unite mankind then Christians and Muslims would be best pals.
(07-24-2015, 11:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The percentage of people who believe in God has ZERO to do with it.  But thanks for giving the perfect example of why connecting God to law enforcement is a bad idea.  It gives a strong impression that these cops are just like you and feel that enforcing the law based on their God's will is just and fair because their God is the majority God in America.  Why would you puy "In God We Trust" on your police cars if you are going to defy the will of that God?

Whites are the majority in this country, but I don't think that makes it okay to put "White Power" stickers on police cars.

Because the believer has a personal relationship (trust) with God. Unlike you, I can only speak about my inference of the message. I had a bible in the in the radio rack of my vehicle in Afghanistan and a .50 cal machine gun mounted on top. My trust with God was that he would understand what was in my heart as I was carrying out my assigned duties and perhaps look over me as I trusted him.

Those that are afraid of the possibility of God may see this message as a threat (look how nervous it has Nately); however, those inside the vehicle most likely see this message as a same measure of comfort as they place their lives on the line everyday. Nowhere are they saying they are enforcing the law based on God's Law and to make the correlation speaks of phobia.

I have no idea what has rooted your mentality so deeply in racism (guilt?); but you might want to have it looked at.

(07-24-2015, 11:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd have the same issue if their logo was a rainbow and their motto said:  Bigots, Christians, People who think being gay is a choice YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

..and I would be against the sticker if it included: Non-Believers and homosexuals YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

but that's not what it says. It does show that some will be offended by anything that mentions faith.

(07-23-2015, 09:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Other than their identifying and contact information, there is zero need for anything else to be on the cruiser...regardless of what it may be.

Truth.
Nobody that has stated they are against this message has given their views on the Rainbow White House.

(07-24-2015, 12:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ..and I would be against the sticker if it included: Non-Believers and homosexuals YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

but that's not what it says. It does show that some will be offended by anything that mentions faith.

I'm not offended, I just think it's stupid.  Also, if it says god and the department puts Christian doctrine on its site then mentions the following:

in·fi·del
noun:

1. 1.
    a person who does not believe in religion or who adheres to a religion other than one's own.
    "they wanted to secure the Holy Places from the infidel"

adjective
  1. 1.
    adhering to a religion other than one's own.
    "the infidel foe"

a·pos·tate

noun
noun: apostate; plural noun: apostates
  1. 1.
    a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.
    synonyms:
    dissenter, defector, deserter, traitor, backslider, turncoat; More
    nonconformist;
    [url=https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&biw=858&bih=671&q=define+follower&sa=X&ved=0CCkQ_SowAGoVChMIm7S6vo_0xgIVDTWICh2qvg5j][/url]
adjective
adjective
  1. 1.
    abandoning a religious or political belief or principle.
blaspheme®

verb (used with object), blasphemed, blaspheming.
1. to speak impiously or irreverently of (God or sacred things).
2.  to speak evil of; slander; abuse.

verb  
3. to speak irreverently of God or sacred things; utter impieties.

So, to me it's not so much mentioning faith, but mentioning a specific faith and then telling people who don't adhere to said faith to be on guard.  This isn't about me being offended so much a pointing out that "in god we trust" is supposed to be a lot more generic than this particular department is making it.
(07-24-2015, 12:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nobody that has stated they are against this message has given their views on the Rainbow White House.

There is not rainbow on the White House.

There was a temporary display that celebrated the granting of equal rights for all people.  That is pretty much the opposite of celebrating one god and excluding everyone else's beliefs.

I would love it if police put stickers on their cars that said "Equal Rights for All People".
(07-24-2015, 12:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nobody that has stated they are against this message has given their views on the Rainbow White House.

I thought that was overreaching and hokey as well, but I realize you probably want me to be for one and against the other don't you? I'll at least defend the rainbow white house by stating that the only reason it seemed like a religious case is because religious folks choose to interpret it as such.

If the rainbow white house said "Take THIS stupid religious people!" then you'd have a point.
(07-24-2015, 12:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not offended, I just think it's stupid.  Also, if it says god and the department puts Christian doctrine on its site then mentions the following:

in·fi·del
noun:

1. 1.
    a person who does not believe in religion or who adheres to a religion other than one's own.
    "they wanted to secure the Holy Places from the infidel"

adjective
  1. 1.
    adhering to a religion other than one's own.
    "the infidel foe"

a·pos·tate

noun
noun: apostate; plural noun: apostates

1. 1.
    a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.
    synonyms:
    dissenter, defector, deserter, traitor, backslider, turncoat; More
    nonconformist;
    [url=https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&biw=858&bih=671&q=define+follower&sa=X&ved=0CCkQ_SowAGoVChMIm7S6vo_0xgIVDTWICh2qvg5j][/url]
adjective
adjective

1. 1.
    abandoning a religious or political belief or principle.
blaspheme®

verb (used with object), blasphemed, blaspheming.
1. to speak impiously or irreverently of (God or sacred things).
2.  to speak evil of; slander; abuse.

verb  
3. to speak irreverently of God or sacred things; utter impieties.

So, to me it's not so much mentioning faith, but mentioning a specific faith and then telling people who don't adhere to said faith to be on guard.  This isn't about me being offended so much a pointing out that "in god we trust" is supposed to be a lot more generic than this particular department is making it.
I went to the department's website and did not see all that. Given I didn't search to hard looking.

http://www.stonecountymosheriff.com

I did however see their Mission Statement on the homepage:

Quote:Welcome to Stone County
Quote:The mission of the Stone County Sheriff’s Office is to enforce the law, preserve the peace and establish good order in our county and to provide a safe and secure environment for our citizens.
We acknowledge that in a representative democracy, the sheriff, his deputies and staff are accountable to the very people of the county.  These people are citizens who elect the sheriff and reside in the county. As such, we treat each and every one of them with respect and apply the law equally to all, regardless of the situation.
As citizens ourselves, we do not defer to the people nor dictate to them. Rather, we look upon them as partners in the active pursuit of peace and public safety, and we assist them and they us.
We are custodians of the peoples’ trust. As such, we owe the people our unconditional honesty, our courage, our compassion, and a deep respect for their rights and their property, both individual and collective. Do we have a higher obligation to fairness and justice than the ordinary citizen? Yes, we do.
The citizens of Stone County must always be able to depend on us, in any circumstance, however difficult. They have every right to expect not just a passive presence, but wisdom, temperance, character, competence of a high order and service above and beyond the call of duty, and we cannot disappoint them.
Ours is more than a job. It’s a calling. It’s a privilege. We are among the few Americans whose work encourages honor and inspire respect on a daily basis.
May we always appreciate the opportunity we’ve been given.

(07-24-2015, 01:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I went to the department's website and did not see all that. Given I didn't search to hard looking.

http://www.stonecountymosheriff.com

I did however see their Mission Statement on the homepage:

I was looking at a part of the website cited by the original article.  Maybe they changed it, maybe it was photoshopped, who knows.  I don't think these folks are out there hunting down atheists, I just think they are presenting themselves in a manner worthy of an eye-roll.
(07-24-2015, 12:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If the rainbow white house said "Take THIS stupid religious people!" then you'd have a point.

...and if the sticker said "Take THIS stupid non-believers" then you'd have a point.

It is 4 words "In God We Trust..." same thing that is on every piece of currency made in America. Can we suggest money is only made for believers?