Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOD or BAD? NFL SHUTDOWN!
Do you really wanna risk this new QB lucking into 3-4 wins and ruining our pick?

The season ended when Burrow got hurt period

and i just have to show my respect to Burrow for being a rookie and becoming the rock of this team so fast. Dalton never had this level of respect. Ppl liked Andy but i never felt as if the team gathered around him as their emotional leader.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 12:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My biggest fear is this off-season will look a lot like last off-season; full of hope, lots of activity in free agency, and a decent draft. Unfortunately, none of this resulted in wins which to me is abject failure.   We have to examine why this particular off-season model failed. I think I have the answer.

Bad coaching.

Let’s take Joe Burrow out of this equation please. He is such a good player I believe he is completely immune to bad coaching even though he is still a victim of bad playcalling.  The rest of the team, however, needs to be up for examination. If you watch tape on Von Bell in New Orleans or Mackensie Alexander in Minnesota or even Billy Price at Ohio State or Jonah Williams at Alabama you see a different level of play before they got to Cincinnati.   For that matter, watch some tape on DJ Reader in Houston!

As soon as these fine players come to Cincinnati all the aggression, natural instinct, and athleticism seem to be coached out of them.  Going back even further, watch some tape on Cedric Ogbuehi at Texas A&M or Jake Fisher at Oregon. These guys could seriously play but in Cincinnati they greatly underachieved.

I dunno. I hated the Og pick. Bad hips and feetwork. I was good with Fischer, though, so ... lol. I think Bell and onah are doing ok, though.

Overall, personally, I think a lot of it has been drafting. We've taken some projects that we weren't able to coach up or that just busted (Og). We've shuffled our feet on some players that, I'm guessing, coaches didn't want drafted and didn't put them in positions to win (Lewis and Ross). Or repeatedly taking the same positions in the first three rounds and hoping something works out with areas of need later in the draft (LB). I don't know what the disconnect is, if it's bad scouting or a disconnect between drafting and coaches, but it seems like drafting the right people was our strength early under Marvin and the last 7-8  years has been a huge weakness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, it wouldn't bother me. I won't be watching any games anyway since Burrow is out, if I do it won't be any Bungels games unless they make it interesting and sign kapernick or something 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 09:30 PM)kurisu Wrote: Honestly, it wouldn't bother me. I won't be watching any games anyway since Burrow is out, if I do it won't be any Bungels games unless they make it interesting and sign kapernick or something 

So, are you just a fair weather fan, or just one looking to stir up nonsense?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not looking to stir anything up, just tired of the same old crap that comes with being a fan of this team.. its such a shame our #1 pick gets hurt the way he did.. my stomach churned over it. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Unfortunately, Mike Brown’s idea of change is far different than ours. His idea of change is putting 93 octane in the Chevy Lumina one day instead of his usual 87.

You're giving him too much credit. He'd upgrade the oil from buying Harbor Freight oil to buying it at Family Dollar..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 05:39 PM)Housh Wrote: Dalton never had this level of respect. Ppl liked Andy but i never felt as if the team gathered around him as their emotional leader.

You have no clue.

You just believe what you want to believe.
Reply/Quote
What in the hell is the NFL doing?

The Broncos literally don't have a QB for this weeks game. They even petitioned the league to allow them to use an assistant coach to play QB, a guy who played college ball like 10 years ago. The league, of course, said no. So now the Broncos are going into the game with their RB Royce Freeman taking over QB duites.

The Ravens have 31 cases of Covid/Injury as of today, and they're still scheduled to play Tuesday night.

The league is filled with name players who are out because of Covid.

Why not just shut everything down for a week? At least see if it helps. That shutdown of Monday and Tuesday isn't going to accomplish jack shit. Why not take a week off to reassess things, and move the playoffs back a week?

I don't know, it doesn't seem like they're doing enough here.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 05:44 PM)Benton Wrote:  I don't know what the disconnect is, if it's bad scouting or a disconnect between drafting and coaches, but it seems like drafting the right people was our strength early under Marvin and the last 7-8  years has been a huge weakness.

This.

We have still found a few decent players after the first round, but we have had an amazing string of shit first round picks.

Even the best teams are lucky to get 3 good starters out of a draft.  When you miss on your first round pick that makes it almost impossible.

And in 2015 we basically got nothing from our entire draft.  Uzomah is not bad, but not the type of player you want being the star of your draft.
Reply/Quote
Knowing that the incubation window is 14 days, it would have probably been wise to have two weeks between games vs just one.
If that meant shortening the season to 8 games, so be it.

With the way things are going, some teams are (way) more affected than others and it could end up being a big factor in how many wins and losses they get because of certain players being unable to play.

If the season ends up being cut short, it might have an effect on next year's cap, which is already expected to go down by about $25 mill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:47 AM)samhain Wrote: I hope they shut it down because F Pittsburgh and F Big Ben.  I want them to get a season like the Reds had in the strike year where everything is humming along, then it all grinds to a screeching halt.

I hate big ben and the steelers too but a total shutdown would be bad.  
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 12:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Why not just shut everything down for a week?  At least see if it helps.  That shutdown of Monday and Tuesday isn't going to accomplish jack shit.  Why not take a week off to reassess things, and move the playoffs back a week?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

My theory is that they are afraid things are going to get much worse through December and they just want to get in as many games as they can before they have to shut down for good and cancel the rest of the season.
Reply/Quote
Now that Burrow is out, I say SHUT IT ALL DOWN. No NFL until next season. No Super Bowl for the stains, squeelers and ratbirds. Perfect.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 12:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What in the hell is the NFL doing?

The Broncos literally don't have a QB for this weeks game.  They even petitioned the league to allow them to use an assistant coach to play QB, a guy who played college ball like 10 years ago.  The league, of course, said no.  So now the Broncos are going into the game with their RB Royce Freeman taking over QB duites.

The Ravens have 31 cases of Covid/Injury as of today, and they're still scheduled to play Tuesday night.

Why not just shut everything down for a week?  At least see if it helps.  That shutdown of Monday and Tuesday isn't going to accomplish jack shit.  Why not take a week off to reassess things, and move the playoffs back a week?

Apparently this was because of precedent.

I read earlier that a request like that had happened before, and I believe it was Matt Nagy that the team wanted to put on the field.  It was deemed that it would violate roster rules, so they were not allowed to do it.

I think there was a rule created at the end of Dan Reeves playing career, when he was a coach/player for Dallas.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 01:59 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Apparently this was because of precedent.

I read earlier that a request like that had happened before, and I believe it was Matt Nagy that the team wanted to put on the field.  It was deemed that it would violate roster rules, so they were not allowed to do it.

I think there was a rule created at the end of Dan Reeves playing career, when he was a coach/player for Dallas.

... specially during COVID times..  Hilarious

The NFL is out of it's mind trying to follow the "normal" rules during a pandemic. They need to change to adapt if they want to finish the season, rather than turn it into a disaster.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:19 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This sucks, we definitely don’t want the season to end. We will lose a bunch of games and help our draft stock if we play the rest of the year. That means better players next year. Also better chances certain coaches stick around if they have another excuse

We are already drafting 3.. that's as low as we will get... All good brother. The season wont shutdown either. Way to much money involved.. Maybe some kind of shortened season or different playoff format, but there will be playoffs and a super bowl...
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 02:12 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: ... specially during COVID times..  Hilarious

The NFL is out of it's mind trying to follow the "normal" rules during a pandemic. They need to change to adapt if they want to finish the season, rather than turn it into a disaster.

Well, they did.

The COVID list is one change, the change to only 3 games on IR is another.  The ability to send a guy back to the PS without exposing them to waivers is another change related to the pandemic.

What everyone has to remember with the Broncos case is they failed to follow the protocols.

Driskel tested positive, so they went to contact tracing to determine who was at risk.  The remaining QBs wouldn't cooperate with either the league's contact tracers, or those from the NFLPA (maybe they are one and the same and chosen jointly by both organizations).

Why wouldn't they cooperate?  Because it was later unveiled that the QBs were neither wearing masks in meetings, nor social distancing from one another.  It was the players' responsibility to protect themselves and the team by following the protocols.  It was the team's responsibility to insure the players are in fact following the protocol, to protect their players, the team, and the other clubs of the league.

In other words, the Broncos have made their own bed by not adhering to the changes the league made in cooperation with the players association, and this is the first punishment they must face.  Undoubtedly there will be additional punishments in terms of fines, and perhaps even losing a draft pick.

All teams have lost a player or two here and there as a result of COVID, but the only ones to have whole position groups wiped out or mass positive tests have ALL been found to have violated the protocols.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 12:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What in the hell is the NFL doing?

The Broncos literally don't have a QB for this weeks game. They even petitioned the league to allow them to use an assistant coach to play QB, a guy who played college ball like 10 years ago. The league, of course, said no. So now the Broncos are going into the game with their RB Royce Freeman taking over QB duites.

Why not just shut everything down for a week? At least see if it helps. That shutdown of Monday and Tuesday isn't going to accomplish jack shit. Why not take a week off to reassess things, and move the playoffs back a week?

A player out for COVID should be treated like any other injured player. Next man up!
Reply/Quote