Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP committee passes resolution to cancel Republican primary
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/republican-party-passes-resolution-cancel-gop-primary-due-trumps-effective-presidency/#.XEkKezuiOg4.twitter

Quote:The Republican National Committee’s resolutions group passed a resolution effectively canceling the GOP primary in 2020.

“RNC Resolutions Committee just voted unanimously to “undivided support” for Trump and his “effective presidency,” clearing way for passage before full GOP governing body on Friday,” tweeted Associated Press reporter Zeke Miller.

Quote:[Image: uvXc_cII_normal.jpg]
[/url]Zeke Miller

@ZekeJMiller

RNC Resolutions Committee just voted unanimously to “undivided support” for Trump and his “effective presidency," clearing way for passage before full GOP governing body on Friday.

4:53 PM - Jan 23, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

867 people are talking about this

[url=https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1088193014889992192]

The Resolution Committee bill must pass through the full RNC to be adopted by the party. Presumably, the act would not stop any other Republicans from running, but the RNC would refuse to endorse the opponent.

Trump is not doing well in polls. While his GOP support has been unwavering, the rest of the country blames him for the government shutdown. As it stands today, every possible Democratic challenger would beat him in the general election.

Seems completely fair and the best way to eliminate any challenges.  I'm sure there will be no complaints.  Can't "fix" a primary if there aren't any primaries.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The party of voter suppression finds the most effective way to suppress votes: cancel the election!
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I guess you learned something. Wrong party tho.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Just as I condemned the DNC selling out to Hillary in 2016 I condemn the RNC planning to do the same in 2020.

But what can we do; they're a private organization.

I hope it spawns a legit 3rd party, but I doubt it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

As long as we have one more option than North Korea I will declare our democracy sound.
(01-23-2019, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just as I condemned the DNC selling out to Hillary in 2016 I condone the RNC planning to do the same in 2020.

[Image: freud.jpg]

Ninja

It's a joke.

I (think) I know what you meant.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-23-2019, 10:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: freud.jpg]

Ninja

It's a joke.

I (think) I know what you meant.   Smirk

Good catch. I meant condemn. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-23-2019, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope it spawns a legit 3rd party, but I doubt it.

That would be ideal. Both parties are dragging this country down.

(01-23-2019, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just as I condemned the DNC selling out to Hillary in 2016 I condone the RNC planning to do the same in 2020.

I think what people will be scared of is creating a sizeable schism in the GOP, which would just hand things over to the Democrats. A popular GOP establishment type could do just that, but they won't because they would fear the long-term effects.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-23-2019, 10:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think what people will be scared of is creating a sizeable schism in the GOP, which would just hand things over to the Democrats. A popular GOP establishment type could do just that, but they won't because they would fear the long-term effects.

Or maybe they realize turning on Trump -- who has been doing some of the things the GOP has been running on, but never really intended to do -- would be bad overall for the party. It might be better for them to lock him in, let him run and, lose or win, get back to business as usual of promising things and then saying the promise is unfulfilled because of the other party. That's pretty well been McConnell's answer on everything, which is hard to do (or not do to be more accurate) when the POTUS is over there saying 'Hey, let's do _______!'
Maybe the full RNC will decide this is really stupid and just terrible optics but I’m not holding my breath.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I understand what they are trying to do, but I am surprised they did not wait a while longer to see if the Mueller report would damage Trump.
(01-24-2019, 08:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I understand what they are trying to do, but I am surprised they did not wait a while longer to see if the Mueller report would damage Trump.

I hope if their sole candidate is removed from office they can reverse it, or some people may lose their jobs. LOL  Would be pretty awesome for a third party though.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-25-2019, 10:06 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I hope if their sole candidate is removed from office they can reverse it, or some people may lose their jobs. LOL  Would be pretty awesome for a third party though.

They can do whatever they want, really. Like bfine said, like I said about the DNC in 2016, these are private organizations and how they choose their nominees is their business.

(01-25-2019, 10:34 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: They can do whatever they want, really. Like bfine said, like I said about the DNC in 2016, these are private organizations and how they choose their nominees is their business.

I was half kidding, but if you don't have someone prepared to run a year from now and all of a sudden you don't have a candidate you are in a world of hurt.  Pence is now your candidate by default I would imagine.  Can whatever money Trump has raised be moved to Pence? Can people just give their money to another candidate or to the Party to redistribute?  Is it equally Pence's because they run on the same ticket?

(01-25-2019, 10:54 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I was half kidding, but if you don't have someone prepared to run a year from now and all of a sudden you don't have a candidate you are in a world of hurt.  Pence is now your candidate by default I would imagine.  Can whatever money Trump has raised be moved to Pence?  Can people just give their money to another candidate or to the Party to redistribute?  Is it equally Pence's because they run on the same ticket?

My county executive, one of the leading nominees for governor in our state, died in his sleep in the middle of the campaign last May at the age of 60. His running mate was not able to use any of the money he had raised (the most of any of the Democratic candidates) and had to start from scratch. 

The MD Board of Elections said that it had to be given to charities or the party. His wife ended up creating scholarships with it. It's possible to have given it back to donors, but that's a hard process to figure out (who gets how much?). Any money you gave to a campaign is no longer yours to direct. 

So assuming MD law is similar to federal, the Trump campaign could give money to the National Party but Pence would start fresh. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I would have been shocked if someone would have really ran against him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22