Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
GOP rallies around Trump 9/11 lie
This thread is a lesson on fact checking before posting. If it sounds absurd, it's probably fake.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-30-2019, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Um no. You've been conned again. A regular occurance unfortunately.

Luckily there is social media and they are doing a number to this lie being spread about the hero/first responder Trump you guys are busy pushing today.

(07-30-2019, 03:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: No, they are too busy trying to sell us on the heroics of Trump on 9/11, that nobody caught on camera.

Not even 9/11 is sacred to them. They are willing to rewrite 9/11 history to help boost Trump.

I think someone needs a change of tin foil.

Show me where Trump himself said he was a first respondent down there rescuing people?

Post some links to back up your comments as well.
(07-30-2019, 04:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think someone needs a change of tin foil.

Show me where Trump himself said he was a first respondent down there rescuing people?

Post some links to back up your comments as well.

JJ's comment is certainly an exaggeration of Trump's claims, but I find it telling that you're more focused on that exaggeration than the outright unsubstantiated claim (which is one of many unsubstantiated claims) that the president made to gain some sort of personal recognition out of our nation's biggest tragedy, which is far more troubling than JJ's dunk on your attempted defense of Trump.

This is one of those things where every American should be celebrating the bill, criticizing those who stood in its way, and also criticizing anyone who seeks to make the tragedy about themselves.

(07-30-2019, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Um no. You've been conned again. A regular occurance unfortunately.

Luckily there is social media and they are doing a number to this lie being spread about the hero/first responder Trump you guys are busy pushing today.

Damn. I really should get more into social media so I'm not always conned. I made the mistake of going by the words that came out of his mouth. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-30-2019, 04:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: JJ's comment is certainly an exaggeration of Trump's claims, but I find it telling that you're more focused on that exaggeration than the outright unsubstantiated claim (which is one of many unsubstantiated claims) that the president made to gain some sort of personal recognition out of our nation's biggest tragedy, which is far more troubling than JJ's dunk on your attempted defense of Trump.

This is one of those things where every American should be celebrating the bill, criticizing those who stood in its way, and also criticizing anyone who seeks to make the tragedy about themselves.

I am celebrating the bill and I find it troubling that you are the first one besides me to mention it at all in this thread.

But We are too busy shooting down JJ's over exaggerations that were never said. Trump isn't making this about himself. He made it clear he was down there on the ground like all other NY'ers but not a 1st Respondent. He's from NY, so of course he's going to say a little something. Many people on here get hung up on Trumps words. it's really confusing, we get into arguments on here about what was literally said. Literally, Trump has not claimed that he was a first respondent or a Hero saving people. That's it. JJ seems to think otherwise. So if you want to defend JJ's comments then feel free, otherwise he's the one making the outrageous claim that I am stating wasn't made. You should be more perturbed at him for distracting the topic from the actual Bill that was passed just cause he hates Trump.

Look at my very first post in here, first sentence:
"Do you think it's a good thing that he signed the 9/11 Bill?"

I think the bill is great and vastly over due. This is something that should have already been done on Obama's watch.

PS Huge irony, for once Trump is being defended for something he didn't say rather than something he did...
(07-30-2019, 05:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I am celebrating the bill and I find it troubling that you are the first one besides me to mention it at all in this thread.

But We are too busy shooting down JJ's over exaggerations that were never said. Trump isn't making this about himself. He made it clear he was down there on the ground like all other NY'ers but not a 1st Respondent. He's from NY, so of course he's going to say a little something.

I'm going to stop you right there. He absolutely started to make it about himself when he said that. He's a narcissist. Even his defenders can admit that. Making things about himself is what he does. His wealth was gained by putting his name on things others made or selling his name for things others made.

Quote:Many people on here get hung up on Trumps words. it's really confusing, we get into arguments on here about what was literally said. Literally, Trump has not claimed that he was a first respondent or a Hero saving people. That's it. JJ seems to think otherwise. So if you want to defend JJ's comments then feel free, otherwise he's the one making the outrageous claim that I am stating wasn't made. You should be more perturbed at him for distracting the topic from the actual Bill that was passed just cause he hates Trump.

People get hung on on his words because he's the President. At some point, people need to acknowledge the weight that office puts on the worst things he tweets or says. That said, JJ's exaggeration isn't far from the claim made by Trump, which, compounded with his other 9/11 claims, is troubling and worth talking about. As is the fact that people seemingly believed a fake quote and used it to defend him.

Quote:Look at my very first post in here, first sentence:
"Do you think it's a good thing that he signed the 9/11 Bill?"

I think the bill is great and vastly over due. This is something that should have already been done on Obama's watch.

PS Huge irony, for once Trump is being defended for something he didn't say rather than something he did...

It should be noted that twice under Obama it was passed/funded, with the 2015 law going until 2090. It died in 2006 and barely passed in 2010 after Republicans vowed to filibuster it over the cost and desire for extending Bush tax cuts. This most recent version increased funding and the timeline given the increased demand for funding.

(07-30-2019, 06:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm going to stop you right there. He absolutely started to make it about himself when he said that. He's a narcissist. Even his defenders can admit that. Making things about himself is what he does. His wealth was gained by putting his name on things others made or selling his name for things others made.

I'm just gonna stop you right there. It's the media making it about something that Trump didn't say. There was nothing political or politically charged about what he said. He kept the focus on the first respondents. He's talking about how he was there and he saw them and inferring how brave they were, he also said he wasn't one. I don't really see how that's making it all about Trump. Hillary would've said the same thing and none of us would've cared. Except your side would be bragging it up. She was there on the 2nd day with them saw them, but wasn't a 1st responder herself.

"I was down there also, but I'm not considering myself a first responder," Trump said. "But I was down there. I spent a lot of time down there with you."

So pick your battles, this one isn't worth it. There's plenty of other things Trump literally says that you can attack.

I didn't see you mention the 9/11 bill that Obama Vetoed?
(07-30-2019, 06:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm just gonna stop you right there. It's the media making it about something that Trump didn't say. There was nothing political or politically charged about what he said. He kept the focus on the first respondents. He's talking about how he was there and he saw them and inferring how brave they were, he also said he wasn't one. I don't really see how that's making it all about Trump. Hillary would've said the same thing and none of us would've cared. Except your side would be bragging it up. She was there on the 2nd day with them saw them, but wasn't a 1st responder herself.

"I was down there also, but I'm not considering myself a first responder," Trump said. "But I was down there. I spent a lot of time down there with you."

So pick your battles, this one isn't worth it. There's plenty of other things Trump literally says that you can attack.

I didn't see you mention the 9/11 bill that Obama Vetoed?

I'm with you; I don't think Trump wanted to make it about him. In this instance he was willing to take a backseat to the first responders, but he wanted to make sure folks knew he was in the car. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Any public figure would do the same. 

(07-30-2019, 06:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm just gonna stop you right there. It's the media making it about something that Trump didn't say. There was nothing political or politically charged about what he said. He kept the focus on the first respondents. He's talking about how he was there and he saw them and inferring how brave they were, he also said he wasn't one. I don't really see how that's making it all about Trump. Hillary would've said the same thing and none of us would've cared. Except your side would be bragging it up. She was there on the 2nd day with them saw them, but wasn't a 1st responder herself.

I'm not sure what Hillary has to do with any of this, I'll just say that if you honestly believe his unsubstantiated claim wasn't meant to promote himself in any way, I can understand how he appeals to you. I hope you are able to take a second look at his comments alongside his other troubling 9/11 comments, and try to see how they fit into his pattern of self promotion.

Quote:I didn't see you mention the 9/11 bill that Obama Vetoed?

The one where he vetoed a bill that would have allowed US citizens to sue other nations that weren't considered state sponsors of terrorism, arguing it was shortsighted in that it would open up the US and our diplomats to retaliatory responses? I didn't realize it was relevant to a discussion on the first responder fund. 

(07-30-2019, 07:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The one where he vetoed a bill that would have allowed US citizens to sue other nations that weren't considered state sponsors of terrorism, arguing it was shortsighted in that it would open up the US and our diplomats to retaliatory responses? I didn't realize it was relevant to a discussion on the first responder fund. 

You didn't see how Obama vetoing a Bill about 9/11 survivor funding was relevant to a discussion about 9/11 survivor funding?

[Image: 67451431_3520551331289153_83727824757383...e=5DDF327E]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-30-2019, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Luckily there is social media and they are doing a number to this lie being spread about the hero/first responder Trump you guys are busy pushing today.

Luckily? Because social media is so reliable, accurate and informative?
(07-31-2019, 11:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 67451431_3520551331289153_83727824757383...e=5DDF327E]

Give it up,
One of your favorite sources has already informed us where Trump was on 9/11.

You posting meme's claiming otherwise isn't going to change reality.
(07-31-2019, 12:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Give it up,
One of your favorite sources has already informed us where Trump was on 9/11.

You posting meme's claiming otherwise isn't going to change reality.

Yep. Bragging about his tallest building in NYC.

then someone saw him walking down the street sometime later.

What a hero! Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-31-2019, 12:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yep. Bragging about his tallest building in NYC.

then someone saw him walking down the street sometime later.

What a hero! Ninja

Did Trump himself claim anything different? No? So then he's not lying for a change?
(07-30-2019, 04:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: JJ's comment is certainly an exaggeration of Trump's claims, but I find it telling that you're more focused on that exaggeration than the outright unsubstantiated claim (which is one of many unsubstantiated claims) that the president made to gain some sort of personal recognition out of our nation's biggest tragedy, which is far more troubling than JJ's dunk on your attempted defense of Trump.

Really? Because this thread started with the over-exaggeration, which btw OP still hasn't admitted to, but considering the source that's not surprising. 

Maybe people are getting tired of the constant over-exaggerations just being brushed off. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(07-31-2019, 12:56 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Really? Because this thread started with the over-exaggeration, which btw OP still hasn't admitted to, but considering the source that's not surprising. 

I responded to that and I'm not sure if he realized it when he made the post, but he also that people are defending Trump using the quote which is true. Hopefully he will respond

Quote:Maybe people are getting tired of the constant over-exaggerations just being brushed off. 

Likewise many people are getting tired of the constant outright lying just being brushed off. So which is worse? The outright lie or the exaggeration? Arguably we can say both need to be condemned, and my point remains that taking issue with an exaggeration while defending  a lie is a bad look.