Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP rep introduces resolution to ban Dem party over support of slavery/Confederacy
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508759-gops-gohmert-introduces-resolution-that-would-ban-the-democratic-party

The flawed logic in this is that the party itself did not support the Confederacy and it also ignores the complicated party politics at the time, including the Northern and Southern Democrat split, Douglas' dominance over Breckinridge in Democratic support, and Democrats only being 8 votes in the minority of the House between 63 and 65.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:03 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508759-gops-gohmert-introduces-resolution-that-would-ban-the-democratic-party

The flawed logic in this is that the party itself did not support the Confederacy and it also ignores the complicated party politics at the time, including the Northern and Southern Democrat split, Douglas' dominance over Breckinridge in Democratic support, and Democrats only being 8 votes in the minority of the House between 63 and 65.

Luckily there is nothing else important going on!   Ninja

Seriously though do these guy really believe the BS they spew or are they just that dumb?  Maybe both?
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Ban democrats for supporting it then and ban republicans for supporting it now. Let's get this knocked out before Monday.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:03 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508759-gops-gohmert-introduces-resolution-that-would-ban-the-democratic-party

Since when has cancel culture ever cared about nuance?  
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Since when has cancel culture ever cared about nuance?  

Depends on what you're characterizing as "cancel culture". One could argue that nuance is what allows us to recognize that Columbus was not someone to be idolized rather than declaring that he, like many other figures, should be celebrated because it's history. Same with criticism of Confederate monuments and understanding the context of their role as Lost Cause propaganda. That itself is nuance. Though I understand what you meant with your dig at "cancel culture". 

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Depends on what you're characterizing as "cancel culture". One could argue that nuance is what allows us to recognize that Columbus was not someone to be idolized rather than declaring that he, like many other figures, should be celebrated because it's history. Though I understand what you meant with your dig at "cancel culture". 

Indeed.  I think this is a GOP attempt to hoist the Dems "by their own petard".  Whether anyone thinks it's successful in that regard will almost certainly be dependent on their political leanings.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Indeed.  I think this is a GOP attempt to hoist the Dems "by their own petard".  Whether anyone thinks it's successful in that regard will almost certainly be dependent on their political leanings.

To the bolded, unfortunately. The few who try to argue the merits will probably rely on "they parties switched views in 19XX (random ass year)", which is 1) a bad argument when you can just mention the complexities of party politics in the 1860's 2) because it also depends on drawing a connection to a party today and their history.

That and it's a reductionist analysis that isn't entirely accurate and misses the... nuances.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Indeed.  I think this is a GOP attempt to hoist the Dems "by their own petard".  Whether anyone thinks it's successful in that regard will almost certainly be dependent on their political leanings.

George Wallace was an Independent, so there goes that party.  I guess everyone is a republican now.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: George Wallace was an Independent, so there goes that party.  I guess everyone is a republican now.

Yup.  This was a very canny move by the GOP, they eliminate all their opponents in one fell swoop.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yup.  This was a very canny move by the GOP, they eliminate all their opponents in one fell swoop.

So this is how it feels to be a republican, eh?  I gotta admit...I'm suddenly ashamed I own so many Elton John albums.
Reply/Quote
Oooooo, I've got an even better idea. They should introduce a measure to have reparations paid to the ancestors of slaves with the money coming from the DNC coffers! Hopefully someone important in the GOP is reading this! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So this is how it feels to be a republican, eh?  I gotta admit...I'm suddenly ashamed I own so many Elton John albums.

You should, he sucks.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You should, he sucks.  Smirk

Well, I mean some of his 80s stuff is pretty bad and the Lion King era was schmaltz, but he was a god in the 70s.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I mean some of his 80s stuff is pretty bad and the Lion King era was schmaltz, but he was a god in the 70s.

I'm just tweeking you.  I'm not a fan, but his old stuff is objectively good.  It's crazy that he literally can't write lyrics.  To be that good a singer/songwriter and not be able to write lyrics is odd.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm just tweeking you.  I'm not a fan, but his old stuff is objectively good.  It's crazy that he literally can't write lyrics.  To be that good a singer/songwriter and not be able to write lyrics is odd.

Hey, it's part of knowing what you can do and what you can't, I guess.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind the Democratic Party be forced to rename themselves. They have nothing to do with their past anyway.
Reply/Quote
What about the current President who is so supportive of the Confederacy?  Is he out too?

At least today's Democrats have stopped supporting the Confederacy.  Trump is the one who welcomes the flag of those treasonous traitors at his rallies.  Trump is the one fighting against our own military to preserve the vestiges of the Confederacy in today's armed forces.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 03:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm just tweeking you.  I'm not a fan, but his old stuff is objectively good.  It's crazy that he literally can't write lyrics.  To be that good a singer/songwriter and not be able to write lyrics is odd.

Ozzy is the same way. He's only written very few lyrics in 50 years. His talent is melodies and fitting the words to fit the music. 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
Silly GOP, at least try to get the name banned for supporting the KKK and legalized segregation for almost 100 years after the Civil War.

Ninja

I recommend the new name should be the Libressive Party.

Ninja
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote