Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GOP to Stop Border Patrol & ICE Paychecks
You’re welcome America. The GOPs problem solving prowess at work.

The government may shut down because the legislative branch of our government controlled by republicans can not do their job.

Guess who doesn’t get paid when the government shuts down?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2023/09/28/fact-sheet-impact-government-shutdown-dhs-workforce

Thank god we don’t have anybody worried about illegal immigration in this country.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:21 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You’re welcome America. The GOPs problem solving prowess at work.

The government may shut down because the legislative branch of our government controlled by republicans can not do their job.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2023/09/28/fact-sheet-impact-government-shutdown-dhs-workforce

Thank god we don’t have anybody worried about illegal immigration in this country.

The House approved a bill for DHS spending. And got more funding for a wall too
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:21 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You’re welcome America. The GOPs problem solving prowess at work.

Let's not forget that the representatives from the Democrat Party are always free to bend to compromise, as well..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget that the representatives from the Democrat Party are always free to bend to compromise, as well..

They did.  There is a bi-partisan agreement that McCarthy ® is afraid to bring to vote because a group of republicans will remove him from his position of speaker.  All he cares about is the title apparently, as he refuses to do the job.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: They did.  There is a bi-partisan agreement that McCarthy ® is afraid to bring to vote because a group of republicans will remove him from his position of speaker.  All he cares about is the title apparently, as he refuses to do the job.

Then I guess the onus is on him to get everyone on the same page.  It's not like the Freedom Caucus has enough votes to appoint one of their own as speaker.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget that the representatives from the Democrat Party are always free to bend to compromise, as well..

2 GOP Hardliners voted against and 2 Dems voted for it to pass it.

Why the Thumbs down Dino?
It's a good thing it got passed.
Unless ofc you are now upset you can't ***** about it
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Then I guess the onus is on him to get everyone on the same page.  It's not like the Freedom Caucus has enough votes to appoint one of their own as speaker.

They don't, but they can remove him and then tie it up forever because all THEY really care about is campaigning, raising money and doing whatever P01135609 tells them to do.

Quote:McCarthy also agreed to changes that will make it easier for his detractors to start proceedings to unseat him. Just one representative can call a vote to oust McCarthy; previously, half of House Republicans were needed. McCarthy had initially agreed to a five-vote threshold.

“This is one of the prices that was demanded by the holdout colleagues, so he really had no choice,” said Sarah Binder, professor of political science at George Washington University and senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. “McCarthy, elected as speaker, is always going to be on a short leash.”

Why did he do it?

For some, McCarthy’s wide-ranging concessions to the so-called “Never Kevin” faction reinforce the caricature of McCarthy as a careerist politician who cares more about the gavel than being an effective leader.

“At this point, he has made so many different compromises of values, principles, policies, that he just wants the gavel,” said Aaron Fritschner, deputy chief of staff for Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) and a frequent tweeter on House procedural issues.

For McCarthy, the speakership “has been seemingly his landmark political goal for himself, and he is as ambitious as the next politician,” Binder said. “Oftentimes, it is holding power and not necessarily what you are going to do with the power that makes a difference to these leaders.”

McCarthy has acknowledged that he had to do a lot to win his post. “I hope one thing’s clear after this week,” he said in his first speech as speaker early Saturday morning. “I never give up.”
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: 2 GOP Hardliners voted against and 2 Dems voted for it to pass it.

Wrong post.  Fixed it.

Have I complained?  You are the one who keeps saying the "dems" can do something.  I've simply explained that it's up to McCarthy to even allow a vote on the bi-partisan deal he already agreed to.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: 2 GOP Hardliners voted against and 2 Dems voted for it to pass it.

Only 2, out of how many??  C'mon Democrat Party, let's get a little compromise going here..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wrong post.  Fixed it.

Have I complained?  You are the one who keeps saying the "dems" can do something.  I've simply explained that it's up to McCarthy to even allow a vote on the bi-partisan deal he already agreed to.

Oh he can only do so much when you have idiot hardliners in your group, it's not like he voted them in. 
And this never happens to the Dems right?  Ninja

It's about compromise all the way around and Biden wanted more than the original deal as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 12:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Only 2, out of how many??  C'mon Democrat Party, let's get a little compromise going here..

221 R
212 D
Reply/Quote

1. A bill was passed to fund building the wall and adding money for border security in the house. Will the Democratic controlled senate pass it?
2. The Biden government is giving orders to cut the wire and allow illegal immigrants to come into the US in massive numbers. so border control is currently not allowed to stop the flow of illegal immigrants.
3. Border agents will receive back pay if in fact no agreement is reached.
4. Why doesn't Joe Biden prioritize border agents as essential employees to avoid them not get paid if no budget is reached?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Why would they want to do that? Republicans want to cut everything except military spending. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 01:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: 1. A bill was passed to fund building the wall and adding money for border security in the house. Will the Democratic controlled senate pass it?
2. The Biden government is giving orders to cut the wire and allow illegal immigrants to come into the US in massive numbers. so border control is currently not allowed to stop the flow of illegal immigrants.
4. Why doesn't Joe Biden prioritize border agents as essential employees to avoid them not get paid if no budget is reached?

1. A bill was passed to fund building the wall and adding money for border security in the house. Will the Democratic controlled senate pass it?
No. Because it's stupid. 

Factually inaccurate. Let's just call it a lie. 

Probably because they have a union, if I had to guess. Unions protect workers. 

Congress determines who are "essential employees" in situations like this, not the President. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 01:15 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: 1. A bill was passed to fund building the wall and adding money for border security in the house. Will the Democratic controlled senate pass it?
No. Because it's stupid. 

Factually inaccurate. Let's just call it a lie. 

Probably because they have a union, if I had to guess. Unions protect workers. 

Congress determines who are "essential employees" in situations like this, not the President. 

1. It's not stupid if they aren't going to agree to anything else being done to curb illegal immigration.

2. Biden Administration declared the floating barbed wire as "illegal" and pushed it thru the courts in order to get it taken down.

3. Almost all Gov employees get back pay (union or no-union). 

4. yes and no, it's up to the individual agencies to determine who is essential. But the WH does have discretion over the way Agencies pick who is/isn't essential. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 01:12 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Why would they want to do that? Republicans want to cut everything except military spending. 

Everything needs to be reviewed and cuts made accordingly including the Military.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 01:12 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Why would they want to do that? Republicans want to cut everything except military spending. 

To keep the Government funded.  You know, for the good of America..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 02:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To keep the Government funded.  You know, for the good of America..

The worse Americans do the more likely they are to hand the white house back to the previous administration, which seems to be the top priority of the people dragging their feet.  Maybe I'm being overly cynical here, but the freedom caucus folks seem like the types who will set a fire so they can call the fire department and be lauded as heroes. 

It's predatory politics, and the weaker and more disadvantaged the prey is the more power you can exert.
Reply/Quote
I have been having this conversation with my fellow board members at a non-profit for which I am the treasurer: at a certain point it isn't about cutting expenses, but instead we need to raise revenues.

For over 20 years, and probably even longer, our tax revenues as a percentage of GDP has been significantly lower than our OECD peers. As in, 32nd out of 38 with Crimea, Turkey, Chile, Ireland, Colombia, and Mexico rounding out the bottom. We also rely much more heavily on personal income taxes for our revenue, but that's another discussion altogether.

But I know, this isn't the politically popular opinion. It's not as likely to get you elected to office as it is to pretend the American Dream is still alive and our Gini coefficient isn't in the toilet because we refuse to behave like the leaders of the free world we like to pretend we are.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 02:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To keep the Government funded.  You know, for the good of America..

Then cut the military spending back to Clinton days. You know, when gas was $.99 a gallon.
Reply/Quote