Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GREAT Hobsin Article about Sam Wyche
I know Butch takes a lot of grief around here for his sometimes odd style and "homerisms", but I loved this article. Maybe it is because one of my all-time favorites, Sam Wyche, is featured extensively, but the content is incredible.

The part about a long TD to Trumpy being potentially the first time a TE had been split out wide...well, let's just say that is another thing the NFL should tip their hat to Mr. Brown for helping to create the game as it sits today.

I will be purchasing Sam's book as soon as swimming champs are over Tuesday (I volunteer a lot of time to coaching swimming and the season ends Tuesday and my life returns to somewhat normal). Can't wait.

I still hope and pray that Troy, Katie, and Marv would reach out to Sam to help the Bengals self-scout. Get him back in the game. Give him a little money. I think the man still has a hell of a lot to offer, and I almost got teary-eyed reading that he feels 20-30 years younger since the transplant. Maybe I just feel like if the Bengals win a ring this year, I would like him to be a part of it and get the ring that eluded him as coach.

Love you, Sam!

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-Podcast-Sam-recalls-first-Bengals-training-camp/282a098b-6371-499b-b1db-66d1489ed7d1
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sam's best line was the game at Riverfront where the fans were throwing snowballs. He got on the microphone and said "You don't live in Cleveland" or something like that. I laughed so hard.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:08 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Sam's best line was the game at Riverfront where the fans were throwing snowballs. He got on the microphone and said "You don't live in Cleveland" or something like that. I laughed so hard.

I remember hearing an interview where he was somewhat afraid of what Paul Brown would say to him afterward, and he said that he looked up in the owner's box and Paul was slapping his knee and laughing his butt off.  That's awesome.  Middle finger to the team that fired him. 
Reply/Quote

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 09:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know Butch takes a lot of grief around here for his sometimes odd style and "homerisms", but I loved this article.  Maybe it is because one of my all-time favorites, Sam Wyche, is featured extensively, but the content is incredible.

The part about a long TD to Trumpy being potentially the first time a TE had been split out wide...well, let's just say that is another thing the NFL should tip their hat to Mr. Brown for helping to create the game as it sits today.  

I will be purchasing Sam's book as soon as swimming champs are over Tuesday (I volunteer a lot of time to coaching swimming and the season ends Tuesday and my life returns to somewhat normal).  Can't wait.

I still hope and pray that Troy, Katie, and Marv would reach out to Sam to help the Bengals self-scout.  Get him back in the game.  Give him a little money.  I think the man still has a hell of a lot to offer, and I almost got teary-eyed reading that he feels 20-30 years younger since the transplant.  Maybe I just feel like if the Bengals win a ring this year, I would like him to be a part of it and get the ring that eluded him as coach.

Love you, Sam!  

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-Podcast-Sam-recalls-first-Bengals-training-camp/282a098b-6371-499b-b1db-66d1489ed7d1

Sam was my favorite coach.  I wish Marvn had that fire, but he doesn't.  
Reply/Quote
Great article by Butch, Paul Brown,and Sam Wyche are icons to the Bengals, as far as I'm concerned! Sam took the approach to football as "I'm here to play, and you better be ready". I watched the game in Cincy,where he scolded the fan's about Cleveland. When I first heard him say that I thought, "what the heck is he doing", I laughed and I thought, "that's Sam,being Sam". A protege of Bill Walsh, and the "no huddle" offense. Sam kinda revolutionized a new era in Bengals football.  A great man, whom I believe was ahead of his time when it came to football! Wish his health hadn't taken it's toll on him. But,at 72 years old he will still be considered, one of the best!
Reply/Quote
I truly believe if we had stuck with Sam, that 1st Super Bowl win would have come by now....
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I remember hearing an interview where he was somewhat afraid of what Paul Brown would say to him afterward, and he said that he looked up in the owner's box and Paul was slapping his knee and laughing his butt off.  That's awesome.  Middle finger to the team that fired him. 

THAT is good information that makes me happy.  Rep
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 09:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know Butch takes a lot of grief around here for his sometimes odd style and "homerisms", but I loved this article.  Maybe it is because one of my all-time favorites, Sam Wyche, is featured extensively, but the content is incredible.

I will be purchasing Sam's book as soon as swimming champs are over Tuesday (I volunteer a lot of time to coaching swimming and the season ends Tuesday and my life returns to somewhat normal).  Can't wait.

I still hope and pray that Troy, Katie, and Marv would reach out to Sam to help the Bengals self-scout.  Get him back in the game.  Give him a little money.  I think the man still has a hell of a lot to offer, and I almost got teary-eyed reading that he feels 20-30 years younger since the transplant.  Maybe I just feel like if the Bengals win a ring this year, I would like him to be a part of it and get the ring that eluded him as coach.

Love you, Sam!  

I appreciate your throwing Butch a well deserved bone.  He does a good job, and is a sincere homer.   I also acknowledge that he has not been afraid to take the team to task at times - of course, not as much as we do LOL.

And Wyche may be my all time favorite Bengal.   I loved his heart and his genius.  He might be wicky wacky at times, but he was a true innovator and a think outside the box type of guy.

I too would love to see him return as a QB consultant at least.

I have always felt that the team as barely acknowledged their former greats and should be more active in recruiting their involvement.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 12:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I truly believe if we had stuck with Sam, that 1st Super Bowl win would have come by now....

Agree with you.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 01:55 PM)3wt Wrote: I appreciate your throwing Butch a well deserved bone.  He does a good job, and is a sincere homer.   I also acknowledge that he has not been afraid to take the team to task at times - of course, not as much as we do LOL.

And Wyche may be my all time favorite Bengal.   I loved his heart and his genius.  He might be wicky wacky at times, but he was a true innovator and a think outside the box type of guy.

I have always felt that the team as barely acknowledged their former greats and should be more active in recruiting their involvement.

Dead on.  Like, maybe a Ring of Honor?  
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 01:55 PM)3wt Wrote: I appreciate your throwing Butch a well deserved bone.  He does a good job, and is a sincere homer.   I also acknowledge that he has not been afraid to take the team to task at times - of course, not as much as we do LOL.

I believe he and Andy could do great things.....and he has said as much.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 01:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: I believe he and Andy could do great things.....and he has said as much.

If only we were running things Wyche.

You be the GM.   I'll be the owner  Ninja
Reply/Quote
I loved his calling onside kick against the Oilers when up 45-0 in the fourth. To put it lightly he wanted to pummel Jerry Glanville who be believed was a scumbag (which events bore out).
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 03:49 AM)Joelist Wrote: I loved his calling onside kick against the Oilers when up 45-0 in the fourth. To put it lightly he wanted to pummel Jerry Glanville who be believed was a scumbag (which events bore out).

That had to have been one of the greatest moments in NFL history.  Pure hatred for an opponent.  

I don't think a better tribute could be played for Sam than to do a similar thing to the steelers.  On the day Sam is inducted in to the Bengal's "Jungle Legends":   A Hall of Fame within the stadium.  
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 03:51 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sam was my favorite coach.  I wish Marvn had that fire, but he doesn't.  

I like Wyche a lot, but Gregg will forever be my favorite coach! I think he just scared players in to playing their best with that snear he always had!!!
Hell, he makes Belicheck crusty demeanor look like child's play!
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That had to have been one of the greatest moments in NFL history.  Pure hatred for an opponent.  

I don't think a better tribute could be played for Sam than to do a similar thing to the steelers.  On the day Sam is inducted in to the Bengal's "Jungle Legends":   A Hall of Fame within the stadium.  

Remember he'd been warning people about Glanville and his dirty tactics for years. And subsequently the light got shed on it by other coaches as well. 
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 03:49 AM)Joelist Wrote: I loved his calling onside kick against the Oilers when up 45-0 in the fourth. To put it lightly he wanted to pummel Jerry Glanville who be believed was a scumbag (which events bore out).

One of my favorite games of all time, for all the right (or wrong depending on your view) reasons.  Tell you what, I'd love to see a 30 For 30 type special on those two.  I believe they have reconciled to some degree- don't know how close they are though.  Love him or hate him, Glanville was certainly a character, and I kinda miss him.  Wyche is my favorite coach of all time.  I'd love it if he was somehow involved with the franchise again.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 09:33 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: One of my favorite games of all time, for all the right (or wrong depending on your view) reasons.  Tell you what, I'd love to see a 30 For 30 type special on those two.  I believe they have reconciled to some degree- don't know how close they are though.  Love him or hate him, Glanville was certainly a character, and I kinda miss him.  Wyche is my favorite coach of all time.  I'd love it if he was somehow involved with the franchise again.

Yeah man, I loved watching those two go at it.  I don't see why anyone here hates Glanville after the way he got under Chuck Knoll's skin....lol....that was one of my favorite Glanville moments.  Gotta love a guy that left tickets for Elvis and went on to drive a NASCAR truck.  Two of a kind right there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote