Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GUNFIGHT author running for Gov. of Montana
MT has more guns per household than any state in the Union. And running for governor is an ex-gun manufacturer who has challenged the
industry's embedment in right-wing politics in his book: Gunfight: My Battle Against the Industry that Radicalized America.

This ought to be interesting; I'm guessing the money will be flowing to his opponent.

Democrat Ryan Busse launches 2024 campaign for governor
https://montanafreepress.org/2023/09/15/democrat-ryan-busse-launches-2024-campaign-for-governor/

Kalispell Democrat and former firearms industry executive Ryan Busse launched his 2024 gubernatorial campaign Thursday, taking aim at Republican Gov. Greg Gianforte in a guns, trucks and mounted-bucks heavy campaign video that features a classic Montana political ad motif: the candidate shooting at symbolic representations of policies they oppose. (See: Brian Schweitzer, at least twice, Matt Rosendale, others.)

The video shows the Busse family launching clay pigeons that read “20% Property Tax Increase,” “Anti-Choice,” “No River Access” — a reference to Gianforte’s 2009 lawsuit challenging a public easement on a river abutting his property — and “Defunding Public Schools” as Busse, occasionally grunting with disgust, blasts them with a shotgun.

It’s all emblematic of the kind of positioning Democrats in Montana have long employed in search of elected office — to be liberal, but in a plausibly conservative fashion. The third paragraph of the press release announcing his candidacy notes that Busse is a former Republican. In the final scene of the video, Busse launches a target that reads “Busse Can’t Shoot,” a statement his 15-year-old son, Badge, ballistically contradicts.
“They’re going to lie and say we can’t shoot,” Busse says.. . . 

He said Gianforte is part of a radical right-wing shift in the state in favor of a privileged class of wealthy landholders and in contravention of the supposed Montana values so often evoked during campaign season.

“My Montana is a place where hardworking people make a good living for themselves, raise their kids with equal opportunity,” Busse says in the launch video. “Unfortunately the Montana that I love, and that my kids have been raised in, is being threatened right now. It pisses me off that Greg Gianforte just wants to sell this state to his rich buddies and turn it into a playground so only they can afford to live and play here.”

Busse was an executive at gun manufacturer Kimber until 2020 — a year before he rose to national prominence with the publication of his memoir, “Gunfight: My Battle Against the Industry that Radicalized America,” which details how a Kansas boy who grew up around guns came to work in the industry he thought he loved, only to become disillusioned with successive mass shootings and the dovetailing of the gun industry with right-wing politics. He’s now a senior adviser to the gun violence prevention organization Giffords.

“I saw what happens when unquestioning radical loyalty takes over something that you care about, and how that can morph into really damaging things,” Busse said Thursday.

His sons, Badge and Lander, were among the plaintiffs in Montana’s landmark youth climate lawsuit.

Busse said voters are particularly animated about rising property taxes. The Republican supermajority this year failed the state by not rebalancing taxes between property classes as lawmakers had done in previous sessions, he said, and regressive income tax cuts aren’t helping.
“To be frank with you, the fix is not a hard fix,” he said.

He’s also upset about what he sees as a departure from science-based wildlife and lands management, which he said is eroding Montana’s recent tradition of aggressive wildlife conservation mixed with robust public access....

Busse is the only Democrat who has filed in the race. It’s assumed that Gov. Greg Gianforte will run for re-election, but he’s yet to confirm his intent to do so or file campaign paperwork for 2024. If he does run, he’ll face a primary challenge from freshman state Rep. Tanner Smith, R-Lakeside.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A link to the book Gunfight.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunfight-Against-Industry-Radicalized-America/dp/1541768736

A former firearms executive pulls back the curtain on America's multibillion-dollar gun industry, exposing how it fostered extremism and racism, radicalizing the nation and bringing cultural division to a boiling point.

As an avid hunter, outdoorsman, and conservationist–all things that the firearms industry was built on–Ryan Busse chased a childhood dream and built a successful career selling millions of firearms for one of America’s most popular gun companies.

But blinded by the promise of massive profits, the gun industry abandoned its self-imposed decency in favor of hardline conservatism and McCarthyesque internal policing, sowing irreparable division in our politics and society. That drove Busse to do something few other gun executives have done: he's ending his 30-year career in the industry to show us how and why we got here.

Gunfight is an insider’s call-out of a wild, secretive, and critically important industry. It shows us how America's gun industry shifted from prioritizing safety and ethics to one that is addicted to fear, conspiracy, intolerance, and secrecy. It recounts Busse's personal transformation and shows how authoritarianism spreads in the guise of freedom, how voicing one's conscience becomes an act of treason in a culture that demands sameness and loyalty. Gunfight offers a valuable perspective as the nation struggles to choose between armed violence or healing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote