Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GalleyLag or LollyGag?
So Mrs. Dog and I were talking tonight and the context of the story leads her to say "GalleyLag." So, I corrected her (hate it when I do that). I said, "You mean Lollygag?" She said, "No. GalleyLag!"  Hilarious

But this is where it get's interesting. Her Father was in the Army during Vietnam era, and when he came home he said GalleyLag (I'm thinking a mess hall in the Navy should be considered and would be someone hanging around to long in there, I should listen closely). But I was in the Army as well, and I never heard the term GalleyLag until today. I'm 51yrs old? So when I wanted to show proof it was LollyGag, all I had was this? Not very supportive.

So then, I go to the Merriam-Webster, and Lollygag is in there: "to spend time doing things that are not useful or serious : to fool around and waste time."

But when I look at GalleyLag, I get this: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.

Has anyone heard of Galleylag? I find this very interesting for some reason.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Have always heard of lollygag but never the other.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
My Uncle, who served in the Navy in the Korean war, used to call my cousins Galley Lags when they would dally at doing their assigned chores.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My Uncle, who served in the Navy in the Korean war, used to call my cousins Galley Lags when they would dally at doing their assigned chores.

I figured it had to be a Navy term. Kind of a vise-versa. Clever to say the least. He must have had Navy friends and it rubbed off I'm thinking, or his father might have been in the Navy and grew up with it.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 09:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I figured it had to be a Navy term. Kind of a vise-versa. Clever to say the least. He must have had Navy friends and it rubbed off I'm thinking, or his father might have been in the Navy and grew up with it.

Must be an older saying. Conferred with my friend who was in navy and he had never heard it before.

Except for the "galley" which obviously is the Ness hall.

May have been a slang word other branches called navy men too. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Actually, not sure this makes a difference, but he was in during Korean War and not Vietnam.

Reply/Quote
I was in the Navy and I've never heard of galleylag.

Scallywag has Navy/seafaring roots.
Reply/Quote
I served in the Black Hats division, an old clan back in the early days of Call of Duty, and not once did I hear of galleylag.

But upon using the ancient art of the googling, a bunch of India stuff popped up.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Bull Durham says lollygag so lollygag it is.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Harley, just tell your wife she's wrong, and spend another night in the dog house.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 09:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But when I look at GalleyLag, I get this: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.

Pull this up for her on your comp. Call her in and have her read it. Then say "what now beyotch!". She'll love you for it and your bond will be closer than ever.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 09:28 AM)Beaker Wrote: Pull this up for her on your comp. Call her in and have her read it. Then say "what now beyotch!". She'll love you for it and your bond will be closer than ever.

Already did Ninja

Reply/Quote
Galleylag is incorrect, and she knows it.

But I think I understand WHY she is using it instead.

Let's face it, if she were to say lolleygag to you, your response would be "so you want to gag on my lolly?" Pervert

I can't say I can blame her for trying to cut you off at the pass Cool
Reply/Quote
My wife will argue with me if I tell her the sky is blue. Sometimes you just gotta pick your battles.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:17 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: My wife will argue with me if I tell her the sky is blue.  Sometimes you just gotta pick your battles.

So true!! "Hey baby, you look nice today!   So now I'm fat??"....
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 04:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So true!! "Hey baby, you look nice today!   So now I'm fat??"....

Hilarious

Let’s also not forget:

Baby, your beautiful - response “ no I’m not, you just want sex.”

Baby, I love your boobies - response “ no you don’t, they”re too _______.”

Baby, I love your smile. Response “no you don’t, you just want approval.”

Baby, I love your laugh. Response “that’s because your naked.” Mellow

Reply/Quote
Or the dreaded.....

wife- I want the truth. Do these pants make my butt look big?

Guys, seriously, how the F are we supposed to respond? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Or the dreaded.....

wife- I want the truth. Do these pants make my butt look big?

Guys, seriously, how the F are we supposed to respond? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Actually, a walk away while faintly speaking “shit, I forgot something!” Then grabbing keys and leaving abruptly works well.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Or the dreaded.....

wife-  I want the truth.  Do these pants make my butt look big?

Guys, seriously, how the F are we supposed to respond?  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

"No, your ass does it by itself"

Then duck!
Reply/Quote
One other reference (in a forum)  for gallylag, but it's probably lose slang. I knew an old Navy cook who trained me in jobcorps back in the 70s who probably used the term a time or two.. old Roy Kilchellen.. Tough old geezer with a heart of gold..  He once made us clean the kitchen and when he couldn't find any dirt with his white glove he went outside and got a bucket of dirt, threw it all around the kitchen and told us to clean up the mess . We did and got steaks for dinner while everyone else had hash..  He was about 5' nothing but tough as nails and fight with the biggest guys there.. Da good old days .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote