Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 1: The Hero Club and the Goat Club
(09-11-2016, 05:30 PM)SFmajor Wrote: I'll give the D-Line a little slack.  Fitz was releasing the ball very quickly and Geno was getting doubled team all day.

It does seem the defense held when needed most, i.e. 13 points given up in 4 red zone trips.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How is Nuge not a Hero

If he didn't miss the previous FG his last attempt may not have even been needed. If we lose this game he would be getting destroyed right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:44 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I agree that of course the Bengals OL made mistakes but it was more of the Jets DL playing out of their minds, then the Bengals OL falling asleep.

The main culprits were Center and RG. Bodine was incredibly bad and constantly missed his assignment and also got driven back consistently. In turn, that led to Zeitler trying to cover too much ground and having problems. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hero
Dalton
AJ
Hunt
Nuge

Goat
Entire offense line
Whitworth and Boling were studs.

Ogbuehi was far from bad.

Zeitler and Bodine were crap.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Zeitler is not making a good case for himself to get a DeCastro-type payday.

Bodine is ***** trash. Actually broke off of a tackle to go upfield, resulting in a sack. Consistently pushed backwards and even dropped to the ground at times. Get a new center, PLEASE.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Don;t leave out the rest of line.. it was much more than Bodine and Zeitler today... 

This.

Also a lot of the rushing yards was on the LBs.  Not saying our D-line played well against the run, but there were a lot of yards gained when our D-line stuffed the hole and the RBs bounced outside or cut back into wide open space.
Reply/Quote
I forgot about it but the FG before halftime was definitely huge. Awesome ST play.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Whitworth and Boling were studs.

No they were not.  They may not have sucked as bad on pass pro, but they were not doing anything much for the run game.  Bodine looked good on Hill's TD, but that was about it.

And there was pressure from all parts of the line.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:45 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Iloka for laying wood. Don't give a shit if he gets flagged. They'll think twice.

Dude can flat out hit. Glad we resigned him.

Reply/Quote
Goats....some poor tackling on ST.

That is something the Bengals have been good at for years. Don't want to see them slip in that area.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:54 PM)Sweetness Wrote: If he didn't miss the previous FG his last attempt may not have even been needed. If we lose this game he would be getting destroyed right now.

True, but with most kickers beyond 45 yards is a risky proposition. I'll take 1 of 2 from that distance.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Also a lot of the rushing yards was on the LBs.  Not saying our D-line played well against the run, but there were a lot of yards gained when our D-line stuffed the hole and the RBs bounced outside or cut back into wide open space.

Did Rey Mauluga get hurt? Checked the box score and he didn't have a single tackle. I don't remember hearing anything about him getting hurt but I may have missed it. 
Reply/Quote
Marvin shouldn't have went for the FG in the first place.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin shouldn't have went for the FG in the first place.

The 52 yarder?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Also a lot of the rushing yards was on the LBs. 

Our LBs were non-existent in the run stopping game. Ray M. consistently got steered whichever way the OL wanted to take him. Dansby missed many tackles. And I don't even know where Vinny Rey was.

Lafell more than made up for MLJs production....4 catches for 90+ yds....even with a bad hand. He is a good pick up.

Dalton got the job done despite an OL that gave him little time and gave up 7 sacks. He was amazing at getting rid of the ball. He knew where he wanted to go with it pre snap, and got it there most times. Very good at IDing the matchups.

For the folks who were down on Hunt and Nugent....that is why I have more faith in the coaches decision than the fans knee jerk reactions.

AJ Green was phenomenal today. He not only set up his own camp on revis island, but took it over and kicked revis off.

Our DL depth problems showed. Without a good rotation, our guys were getting gassed as they had to stay in for too many snaps.

But overall it was a good win. Good teams win in spite of themselves on bad days. Overcoming a slow opening performance on the road against a very good D was the type of game that gets you to the playoffs again.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Goats....some poor tackling on ST.

That is something the Bengals have been good at for years.  Don't want to see them slip in that area.

I was shocked to see that.  We've just come to expect them to be great.  They do have some new guys.  Is Peerman that good?

Also, that returner was inhuman.  It took four or five guys to bring him down and he didn't look that big.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Dansby showed up more than any of our other old half retired vet lb free agent signings of years past. Good to see him contribute even though some of his tackles were catching Forte from behind. He was still active and looked at home in the D.

I've given Lafell a hard time but he had a heck of a game.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dalton actually went 20-23-290-1-0 (133.2 rating) over the last 3 quarters. With all that pressure and no run game, it was unbelievable really.

I'd also add:

Marvin Lewis: Good use of timeouts, which is something he gets ripped for.
Brandon LaFell: He's been ripped to shreds all offseason and went 4-91-0. Great first game.
DreKirk: Another guy who gets ripped. Made some good plays. Helped hold a great pass attack to 189 yards. Marshall caught 3 balls for 33 yards on 8 targets.
Dunlap: Had a couple nice pass blocks. That's one thing the d-line did right.

Gave up a TD, gave up a PI that set up 1st and goal for a TD, and missed a couple tackles. Not sure I would be singing Dre's praises.

- - - - - - -
As for the rest of the list, other additions....

Hero:
-Hunt legitimately surprised me, though. Didn't think he had that kind of game in him. Hope he has more coming. I've been harsh on the guy (deservedly so), but I need to recognize when he does well.

Goat:

-Shawn Williams was absolutely TERRIBLE. Take how bad Bodine was for the O and that's how bad Williams was for the D. Had to be half a dozen+ missed tackles, and an INT that hit him right in the hands that he dropped. I didn't think he'd be a proper replacement for Nelson, but I didn't expect that bad of a showing.

-Whoever decided to run the ball twice in a row for a loss coming out of the 2 minute warning. Not sure if that was Ken, or a Marvin directive. Just know it was awful. Short quick passes got you there and you abandon them for runs for losses and you're not even in proper field goal range yet.

-Whoever thought they needed to manufacture touches for James Wright. It led to a -8 yard reverse. James Wright isn't a guy you manufacture touches for.

(I almost want to give Dansby an honorable mention in the Goat section.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: -Whoever decided to run the ball twice in a row for a loss coming out of the 2 minute warning. Not sure if that was Ken, or a Marvin directive. Just know it was awful. Short quick passes got you there and you abandon them for runs for losses and you're not even in proper field goal range yet.

Jets were sitting on the quick outside pass by then.  I have no problem with those calls.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jets were sitting on the quick outside pass by then.  I have no problem with those calls.

I wouldn't have minded them if they were on the 30 or whatnot, but they weren't even in proper FG range when they did it. It's also the second time that really got to me. Did it once, it didn't work. Lets try again!

As if we didn't know Bodine was going to get blown up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote