Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Chatbox
(08-18-2015, 02:49 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I couldn't agree more. I never really liked the Game Day threads. Too cumbersome to keep up with. That's why I enjoy participating on Twitter during games (across all sports). Instant interaction via brief comments.

The chatbox is an idea I've always loved. I really enjoyed using it at the Bengals World boards during its run. We couldn't implement it at the official site due to the older version of the software we were using, but it had the potential for being a nightmare to moderate anyway due to the type of things some were more likely to do on the official boards as a means of "attacking" the organization. That clearly shouldn't be a problem here. I was pretty eager to use it during the preseason game, but I'm still such a newb. Once the regular season starts, I should hopefully have my 50 posts & see how balancing Twitter & this chatbox goes. Well done, moderators.

Going into it, I wasn't sure what to make of the chatbox option. However, after actually participating in it, and seeing how others interacted...I think I'm a fan, and as others have mentioned, including you...it is much easier to keep up with. Another positive is that it auto-refreshes, so there's not the constant page loads/refreshing clicks on the server.

I'm not sure though, if we should get rid of the gameday threads altogether. Maybe they can still serve a purpose for those who are new enough that they can't use the chat, or for those that may not like using the chat. I guess we'll see how it goes during the next 3 pre-season games and then make a decision.

BTW, you're in luck for the next game. After last week's game, I got a few PM's from members that wanted to participate...but hadn't posted enough yet. For this week, the post requirement will be 25. This should allow more people to be active in the chat, while still requiring that they've done some posting before hand. Then, we'll sort of be able to gauge which number seems to work better. 

That's really why I wanted to test it during the pre-season...to work out the kinks, see what works well and figure out what could be problematic.
Reply/Quote
So, a couple of quick notes for this Monday's live game chat...

For this game, any member with at least 25 posts will be able to participate.
The chat will be open from 7pm till midnight.
The Game Day thread will be available for those that can't, or don't wish to use the chat.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 04:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So, a couple of quick notes for this Monday's live game chat...

The Game Day thread will be available for those that can't, or don't wish to use the chat.

Good call, on 25 posts requirement.  Should limit trolling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 04:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So, a couple of quick notes for this Monday's live game chat...

So... I have until monday to triple the amount of posts I have made in 3 months... this will be difficult.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 10:27 AM)CoCoNuT Wrote: So... I have until monday to triple the amount of posts I have made in 3 months... this will be difficult.

Get on it dude.

Cannot believe some cannot get their post count up. Rolleyes Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 01:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Get on it dude.

Cannot believe some cannot get their post count up. Rolleyes Ninja

I just don't have the desire like I used to...  Mellow
Reply/Quote

Thanks for keeping the gameday thread, too. I was at the game Friday night so I didn't log on to try it out. Probably not the only regular in that situation. If the chat box is that insanely good, then I will look forward to using it Monday night when I can participate. If it goes away, though, I will miss the gameday thread.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 10:27 AM)CoCoNuT Wrote: So... I have until monday to triple the amount of posts I have made in 3 months... this will be difficult.

....and you did it by Friday afternoon.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 03:59 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: ....and you did it by Friday afternoon.

I had a lot of help and support.
Special thanks to me, myself, and Irene for inspiration for the inner schizo in us all.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 04:45 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: I had a lot of help and support.
Special thanks to me, myself, and Irene for inspiration for the inner schizo in us all.

We knew you could do it.   Clapping
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of the chat box tbh.

1. I don't like excluding anyone from being able to talk about the game in progress and could easily see it putting newbies off the boards. Especially fans of the other team here to talk smack/offer their opinions on the game.

2. As a Brit, I won't be staying up until 4am on a Tuesday morning to watch a preseason game and unless the chat box gets a full log posted there will be no way to read everyone's thoughts the next day.

3. Last week, the chat box was doing weird things on my tablet where it repeated comments over and over instead of scrolling backwards properly. This made it impossible to see anything other than the last minute's comments.

4. I don't have 25 posts anyway.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 05:04 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Not a fan of the chat box tbh.

Not everyone will be. The Game Day thread will still be available for those that can't or don't want to use the chat.

Quote:1. I don't like excluding anyone from being able to talk about the game in progress and could easily see it putting newbies off the boards. Especially fans of the other team here to talk smack/offer their opinions on the game.

It's not they we're trying to exclude anyone. By requiring a minimum post count, we eliminate the possibility of people signing up just to troll the chat, and also ensure that those who use the chat have contributed to the board with at  least some posting. 

Quote:2. As a Brit, I won't be staying up until 4am on a Tuesday morning to watch a preseason game and unless the chat box gets a full log posted there will be no way to read everyone's thoughts the next day.

I'm glad you brought this up. Once the live chat is closed at midnight, I will leave the box up thru Tuesday evening, so everyone has a chance to read thru the archives.

Quote:3. Last week, the chat box was doing weird things on my tablet where it repeated comments over and over instead of scrolling backwards properly. This made it impossible to see anything other than the last minute's comments.

I asked for feedback last week during the chat...and it seemed to be working well on iPhone and Android devices. We'll try to get a better feel for that this week and see if anyone is having issues...and if so, what types.

Quote:4. I don't have 25 posts anyway.

There's only one solution to that!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 05:04 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Not a fan of the chat box tbh.

1. I don't like excluding anyone from being able to talk about the game in progress and could easily see it putting newbies off the boards. Especially fans of the other team here to talk smack/offer their opinions on the game.

Good. 

I'll get flamed for this, but I have never liked that opposing fans, members of this board or not, are permitted in a Bengals game day chat.  It's like you're trying to watch the game with your buddies who are Bengals' fans and this obnoxious Steeler fan at the bar keeps walking over to give you shit, and his team isn't even playing the Bengals.

Always thought gameday chat should be for Bengals fans only.  My .02.  Flame away.   
Reply/Quote
I loved the gameday chat last night....thanks for lowering the posts to 25. I think the setup is perfect as it is, the chat and gameday both open, with a min. post requirement for the chat. Keep up the great work ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Loved the gameday chat, too. Added a whole new element to the game. Yes, the passing of the gameday thread is a little sad, but I look at it like the passing of the old board: on to better things.
Reply/Quote
Is the chatbox still 25 posts minimum tonight?
Reply/Quote
GO BENGALS !!! Dancing Dancing Dancing
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 07:19 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Good. 

I'll get flamed for this, but I have never liked that opposing fans, members of this board or not, are permitted in a Bengals game day chat.  It's like you're trying to watch the game with your buddies who are Bengals' fans and this obnoxious Steeler fan at the bar keeps walking over to give you shit, and his team isn't even playing the Bengals.

Always thought gameday chat should be for Bengals fans only.  My .02.  Flame away.   

95% of our fans are more obnoxious and unbearable than rival team's fans during game day threads. Fact. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 05:19 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: 95% of our fans are more obnoxious and unbearable than rival team's fans during game day threads. Fact. 

And twice on Prime Time games.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 05:02 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Is the chatbox still 25 posts minimum tonight?

Yes.
Reply/Quote