Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Wreckers
Its an obvious need for this team to find a game wrecker on the D line, Edge prefered. Question is who? I see some mocks with them taking Nolan Smith but then seeing Steelers grabbing him in other mocks and adding to thier already deep pass roster on rushers ...or maybe they go out and sign a FA or via trade?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 11:41 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Its an obvious need for this team to find a game wrecker on the D line, Edge prefered. Question is who? I see some mocks with them taking Nolan Smith but then seeing Steelers grabbing him in other mocks and adding to thier already deep pass roster on rushers ...or maybe they go out and sign a FA or via trade?

Inside preferred.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/vKggIhwPaeM

Will McDonald is a specialized speed rusher that has caught my interest. He was really good at the Senior Bowl in drills and I expect his momentum to continue at the combine. He will continue to test well.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, the need is for an inside pass rusher. We have a pretty good set of edges - Trey, Sam, Ossai.

We really don't have that interior guy like Geno used to be.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 04:27 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Inside preferred.

Kancey and Mazi Smith immediate come to mind as inside pass rushers.

Then I would suggest Roy, Byron Young and Pickens. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 11:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Kancey and Mazi Smith immediate come to mind as inside pass rushers.

Then I would suggest Roy, Byron Young and Pickens. 

Karl Brooks in the 3rd/4th Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 12:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Karl Brooks in the 3rd/4th Wink

My issue with Brooks is competition.  Bowling Green plays some pretty awful teams.  The 2 teams that were real programs UCLA and Miss State, BG was destroyed in each and Brooks had one assisted tackle over both games.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 12:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: My issue with Brooks is competition.  Bowling Green plays some pretty awful teams.  The 2 teams that were real programs UCLA and Miss State, BG was destroyed in each and Brooks had one assisted tackle over both games.

While I agree with production, you can't teach motor and tenacity.

Also had a great Senior Bowl week and game (albeit one week's worth of competition).

For someone in the mid-rounds, that's fine with me.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 10:51 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: While I agree with production, you can't teach motor and tenacity.

Also had a great Senior Bowl week and game (albeit one week's worth of competition).

I love this guy.  And it would allow us to get some other players in 1 and 2 - hopefully offensive linemen.

Some are calling this a weak draft, but I think there will be a number of players throughout we could benefit from getting.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 10:51 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: While I agree with production, you can't teach motor and tenacity.

This guy played with a lot fire too....

[Image: p15066_p_v10_ac.jpg]
LOL

I just hate that in the biggest moments he did absolutely nothing.  Had I not looked at those games I would feel the same way.  He did have a good senior week.  I think I have several others I like more, but depending on how far he falls the better he looks.

Reply/Quote
Karl Brooks was embarrassing power 5 IOL with his hand counters at the senior bowl. He played out of position in college and needs alot of run technique work especially if he's going to move to IDL... but I'm holding on hope that Lukas Van Ness or Bryan Breesee Falls to 28 lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP sentiment. Imagine Lou getting to add a Micah Parsons like talent to the defense. Hendrickson and Hubbard are great, but they aren't on the game wrecker level (arbitrary words, I know).
Reply/Quote
So I see most have gave up on Zachary Carter. I haven't yet, but I sure wouldn't mind a true 3-tech game wrecker in the
mid rounds. Mazi Smith like Casaer said might be that guy. True that Karl Brooks had a great senior bowl and our coaches
seem to really take notice of senior bowl play.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So I see most have gave up on Zachary Carter. I haven't yet, but I sure wouldn't mind a true 3-tech game wrecker in the
mid rounds. Mazi Smith like Casaer said might be that guy. True that Karl Brooks had a great senior bowl and our coaches
seem to really take notice of senior bowl play.

Dude is that all around force in the middle, that teams in the AFCN are looking for.  He will command a double team, weather in run defense or rushing the passer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dude is that all around force in the middle, that teams in the AFCN are looking for.  He will command a double team, weather in run defense or rushing the passer.

All true, Mazi be the dude I want if we are going for a 3-tech. He is the definition of Game Wrecker on the inside.

Like you said, can also play the run and free up others.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 05:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Karl Brooks was embarrassing power 5 IOL with his hand counters at the senior bowl. He played out of position in college and needs alot of run technique work especially if he's going to move to IDL... but I'm holding on hope that Lukas Van Ness or Bryan Breesee Falls to 28 lol.

Will Bresee ever live up to the hype?  His production says he is maybe a 3rd rounder, but the kid has such incredible traits... he has definitely experienced some bad times the past couple of seasons.

Reply/Quote
I guess we met with Toledo's DL Desjuan Johnson at the Shrine Bowl.
Reply/Quote
Go where the value lies.

But we have ALL 10 DL guys back this year. And I believe 8/10 through 2024. While upgrading Gunter, Tufele, or even Carter wouod be fine, I think we have more pressing needs (OT, TE, S, CB, WR depth, and maybe LB deoending on FA). Now, depending on how that shakes out, that list could be a lot shorter.

We play 4 a four man front most times, so the DE needs to be able to set the edge. The OLB types won't play every down. Gotta have HUGE impact to burn a first on a guy who is situational. Kancey MIGHT be worth it. I like Van Ness or Tuipulotu or Keion White better because of the versatility. Don't like Mazi as much, the gun conviction is a red flag. Still I'd want a better handle on OT and TE before making a luxury pick.

Our offense is what is costing us titles. Not the D.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed if they took BJ Ojulari in round 1.  Dorian Williams is a later round guy who is kind of intriguing as a hybrid LB/edge type of project.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 08:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Go where the value lies.

But we have ALL 10 DL guys back this year. And I believe 8/10 through 2024. While upgrading Gunter, Tufele, or even Carter wouod be fine, I think we have more pressing needs (OT, TE, S, CB, WR depth, and maybe LB deoending on FA). Now, depending on how that shakes out, that list could be a lot shorter.

We play 4 a four man front most times, so the DE needs to be able to set the edge. The OLB types won't play every down. Gotta have HUGE impact to burn a first on a guy who is situational. Kancey MIGHT be worth it. I like Van Ness or Tuipulotu or Keion White better because of the versatility. Don't like Mazi as much, the gun conviction is a red flag.  Still  I'd want a better handle on OT and TE before making a luxury pick.

Our offense is what is costing us titles. Not the D.

I don't hate upgrading depth, but I think Tufele and Carter showed enough to get them some credit going into camp.  Tufele was pretty terrific when Reader missed games, and Carter started to look the part at the end of the season.  They're young, cheap guys that have some experience in the system, and that's somewhat valuable.
Reply/Quote