Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game day eats.
I'll post a pic of my Cincinnati chili soon, but I also made Flautas and my wife made Cheesecake and Chocolate Mousse, as I mentioned in the other thread.

I'll post pics later on of everything. Second time making Skyline's recipe (save for the method of cooking the meat; stupid and pointless extra work, for meat that doesn't taste as good nor is it as tender) and it came out better, but a touch too spicy (for my wife; for me it was bomb).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 08:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Learned something new today about leftover mashed potatoes. Guess a lot of people fry them in oil. Maybe you can add some leftover fried mashed potato patties to your breakfast?

Mix in a raw egg to make them stick together.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Massive amounts of chicken strips/fingers.  The fun is making up with as many different sauces.  Here are a couple I have came up with.

To get the kids to not complain about eating at the table I started doing "dip chicken" night. Basically it's just chicken (fried, grilled, whatever) chopped up bite size and bite size vegetables. Then 5-6 different sauces in the center of the table. Yum sauce, teriyaki, soy, something hot, sweet and sour, honey mustard.

Good way to spend some time together.

(02-03-2019, 08:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Learned something new today about leftover mashed potatoes. Guess a lot of people fry them in oil. Maybe you can add some leftover fried mashed potato patties to your breakfast?

I grew up eating potato cakes. I usually make mine by taking the potatoes, adding an egg or two, some garlic and salt, cheddar or Parmesan cheese. Add some chopped up ham or bacon bits. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 12:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nothing too fancy, around here.  In the crock, chili-cheese nacho dip with a little habanero sauce cooked in.  In the mini crock, cocktail sausages with bbq sauce.  On the platter, summer sausage, cheeses and crackers. (we have a local grocery store deli that has some fantastic varieties of summer sausage)  The obligatory chips and salsa, and I've got a couple dozen Caribbean jerk wings on pre-order from out favorite pub.

All that, along with an ample supply of alcohol should have me feeling like a water balloon, come time for work in the morning.   ThumbsUp

Man, we must have had the same idea....lol.  I did a chili cheese nacho dip with diced maters and green chiles, and we had wings, but were honey BBQ for the kiddies.  Wife made a cheese ball with green onions and dried beef, got a couple pounds of shrimp for shrimp cocktail.  Nothin fancy this year.

(02-03-2019, 02:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I'm making Mississippi Pot Roast in the slow cookers as the main dish. Started them this morning and it already smells great. Sides will be mashed potatoes with gravy, asparagus, applesauce, dinner rolls and Caesar salad.  For appetizers shrimp cocktail and cantaloupe wrapped with prosciutto.  Snacks during the game chips and salsa, cheese and crackers and a vegetable tray.  For desert I have apple pie with vanilla ice cream and a chocolate flan.  Beverages, margaritas, a large assortment of beer, and for the designated drivers sparkling cider.  

Monday breakfast for the guests that crash at my place, bacon, eggs, corned beef hash, toast, fruit salad, an assortment of fruit juice, Bloody Marys and mimosas.

I made that for the first time last weekend.  Damn that stuff is good! :andy:

My grandmother made "tater cakes" all of the time.  Love them, but rarely eat potatoes anymore.

(02-04-2019, 01:31 AM)samhain Wrote:
Mississppi Pot Roast is a can't miss option.  It's impossible for it not to turn out awesome.   

My dinner tonight was marinated sirloin burritos with white queso, pintos, chili lime rice, salsa rojo, and some veggies.  Pretty dang good. 

It really is.  I have been missing out all of these years, but I won't anymore!  I have found a couple of other pot roast recipes I am going to try soon.

(02-04-2019, 03:33 PM)Benton Wrote: To get the kids to not complain about eating at the table I started doing "dip chicken" night. Basically it's just chicken (fried, grilled, whatever) chopped up bite size and bite size vegetables. Then 5-6 different sauces in the center of the table. Yum sauce, teriyaki, soy, something hot, sweet and sour, honey mustard.

Good way to spend some time together.

I grew up eating potato cakes. I usually make mine by taking the potatoes, adding an egg or two, some garlic and salt, cheddar or Parmesan cheese. Add some chopped up ham or bacon bits. 

Same here.....but never with those ingredients.  That sounds delicious.  The next time we make them, I am going to try that out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Didn't get a chance to try it this time around but thanks for the idea.  Will give it a go next time.

(02-04-2019, 01:31 AM)samhain Wrote: Mississppi Pot Roast is a can't miss option.  It's impossible for it not to turn out awesome. 

Yep, and it very easy to make.  I use unsalted butter though as it can be a bit salty with normal butter. I'm thinking next time I might try it with a beef brisket instead of chuck roast and maybe add a few cloves of garlic as well.

Reading over this thread it seems everyone here had some great meals.  I hope everyone enjoyed it and had fun during the Super Bowl.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 04:57 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Didn't get a chance to try it this time around but thanks for the idea.  Will give it a go next time.

Yep, and it very easy to make.  I use unsalted butter though as it can be a bit salty with normal butter.  I'm thinking next time I might try it with a beef brisket instead of chuck roast and maybe add a few cloves of garlic as well.

Reading over this thread it seems everyone here had some great meals.  I hope everyone enjoyed it and had fun during the Super Bowl.

I added garlic and Montreal steak seasoning to mine on a hunch. I really thought it added nicely to the recipe.  I agree, unsalted butter next time, and a tad more pepper. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Irish pancakes!! They are the best!!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 03:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man, we must have had the same idea....lol.  I did a chili cheese nacho dip with diced maters and green chiles, and we had wings, but were honey BBQ for the kiddies.  Wife made a cheese ball with green onions and dried beef, got a couple pounds of shrimp for shrimp cocktail.  Nothin fancy this year.

I made that for the first time last weekend.  Damn that stuff is good! :andy:

My grandmother made "tater cakes" all of the time.  Love them, but rarely eat potatoes anymore.

It really is.  I have been missing out all of these years, but I won't anymore!  I have found a couple of other pot roast recipes I am going to try soon.

Same here.....but never with those ingredients.  That sounds delicious.  The next time we make them, I am going to try that out.

You lost me with the maters!!! I will eat everything but tomatoes.....
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 05:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I added garlic and Montreal steak seasoning to mine on a hunch. I really thought it added nicely to the recipe.  I agree, unsalted butter next time, and a tad more pepper. 

I was thinking Montreal seasoning would be a nice addition as well but I'm not a great cook so didn't want to stray off tried and true recipe that has served me well.  I have cooked flank steak marinated in Montreal seasoning and enjoyed it.   I bet if the roast was marinated in Montreal for a few hours and then about a quarter of the ranch and au jus gravy mix it would be tasty.  All those seasonings have a ton of salt so after marinating in Montreal using less of the other should help. 

I'll have to give it a try next time.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Wife wanted to try a recipe last weekend so I made it. This weekend we made again because it’s just darn good. It’s a corn tomato salad. I was skeptical at first, but dang it was delicious.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/fresh-corn-tomato-salad-recipe-2103476

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wife wanted to try a recipe last weekend so I made it. This weekend we made again because it’s just darn good. It’s a corn tomato salad. I was skeptical at first, but dang it was delicious.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/fresh-corn-tomato-salad-recipe-2103476

That sounds REAL good.  That is a lot of basil.

I make a fresh corn, black bean, and tomato salad that I like a lot.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 08:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That sounds REAL good.  That is a lot of basil.

I make a fresh corn, black bean, and tomato salad that I like a lot.

I didn’t put that much basil in. I put about 1/4 cup to where it really made the dish look more picturesque. Turned out great. Plus, 1.5 cups sounded like overkill.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wife wanted to try a recipe last weekend so I made it. This weekend we made again because it’s just darn good. It’s a corn tomato salad. I was skeptical at first, but dang it was delicious.

Just tried this today and it was delicious.  I did not use near as much basil.  I ate it as soon as I made it.  I bet it will taste even better after sitting in the fridge a while.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just tried this today and it was delicious.  I did not use near as much basil.  I ate it as soon as I made it.  I bet it will taste even better after sitting in the fridge a while.

Yes it will, trust me. ThumbsUp

And today I am grilling marinated chicken breast (in the rain) with macaroni salad, corn on the cob and baked means for my wife. Unfortunately she’s at the school working today, but will be a nice treat when she gets home.

Reply/Quote
Man this looks so delicious. I may make these tonight and let them rest in the fridge overnight.

Reply/Quote