Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game planning behind this broken ass offensive line...
(02-15-2022, 05:14 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: The rams adjusted the bengals didn’t. They overloaded one side. Bengals kept their shot gun offense.
Screens or stretch run cutbacks to the unloaded side could have gotten huge gains. This isn’t rocket science. Very bizarre coaching by Taylor/Callahan. Their youth and inexperience showed badly. It’s like they just expected burrows ability to keep bailing them out

The TE screen would have been a big gainer.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The TE screen would have been a big gainer.

I wonder how healthy CJ really was watching some of the game back. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I would agree with that.

The point remains then. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:17 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Kinda makes you wonder if we are good because of Zac Taylor or just in spite of him?  He did call a strange game at the Super Bowl.  I did like Mixon's TD toss though.

I'd be nice if he'd just let Brian call the plays for 1 game, just to see how we do.

For 2.5 seasons I watched this staff get outclassed in nearly every game. Then, around the Ravens game, Lou started to come up with great schemes. On offense, we'd struggle for half of the game then come out looking like a different team.

It's hard to say. I don't think you win 3 playoff games with inept coaches. But our offense wasn't good in the playoffs. The team made timely plays alot. The kind of stuff that's hard to replicate.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: I've explained this in a couple threads post game, we were fine first half, second half the Rams went to a 5 man front (a bear front in most cases) second half. If any of you are OSU fans you will remember this as what VA Tech used to beat them years back. They also started adding more stunts which also created more chaos in the second half. Frankly, coming into the game many thought they'd go bear front and we'd be toast, when they didn't in the first half it was kind of shocking. There was no real scheme adjustment to make for that because in that situation you have to have guys who can win their one on one matchups and we were outgunned.

This game was more of a case of the Rams being too cute early then our lack of adjustments late. You can say Mixon run more and so on, but in that front we were in trouble no matter what because you can basically offer no help. Even a Max Protect is almost useless because you can go to their overload look with 5 man front which means your interior is STILL going to be stuck one on one.

Why can't you put a running back or fullback back with Joe and basically have him chip the interior guy/s? Sell the running back out to just block at that point? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The point remains then. 

Yes. They didn't adjust. They didn't run. Didn't screen pass. Didn't quick throw as much.

Felt like when we took the lead, we had no idea what to do.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why can't you put a running back or fullback back with Joe and basically have him chip the interior guy/s? Sell the running back out to just block at that point? 

Because with everyone one on one that means the other 4 have to win their one on one outside of who you help. We did have an extra man in a ton the second half and at times they completely cut free rushers but too many guys were losing one on one matchups. When teams are in more natural 4 man fronts you have one double to start then you have a back to pick up first man in. Even in four man front with blitzers the lineman can kiss of one guy to help then pick up a rusher, but with 5 guys covered there is no help at all. Usually between the double and the back you can control the interior rush, but in the 5 man front if two guys inside win you are screwed....more than one guy was winning most the second half. The other wrinkle they started bringing was the MLB blitz which would essentially rob the HB leaving no help, with still 5 back to cover 4.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why can't you put a running back or fullback back with Joe and basically have him chip the interior guy/s? Sell the running back out to just block at that point? 

Or Sample. But yes!

I saw Mixons pass blocking score...it was bad.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because with everyone one on one that means the other 4 have to win their one on one outside of who you help. We did have an extra man in a ton the second half and at times they completely cut free rushers but too many guys were losing one on one matchups. When teams are in more natural 4 man fronts you have one double to start then you have a back to pick up first man in. Even in four man front with blitzers the lineman can kiss of one guy to help then pick up a rusher, but with 5 guys covered there is no help at all. Usually between the double and the back you can control the interior rush, but in the 5 man front if two guys inside win you are screwed....more than one guy was winning most the second half. The other wrinkle they started bringing was the MLB blitz which would essentially rob the HB leaving no help, with still 5 back to cover 4.

Yeah we had an 18% pass block win rate. That means 82% of the time their rusher beat our lineman in under 2.5 seconds.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah we had an 18% pass block win rate. That means 82% of the time their rusher beat our lineman in under 2.5 seconds.

Right the whole line got abused, it is a misassumption to think it was just Donald working us over. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The double teaming with Hopkins worked. At the end of the 2nd half, the Rams overloaded a side and put a guy over center so Hopkins couldn't double.

We had no counter for that.

Sadly you can’t expect Hakeem Adeniji to block a quality defensive lineman in the NFL one on one.
Reply/Quote
The reality is that if you could just take a garbage OL and move the ball on an elite D by doing generic crap like roll outs and screen passes every team in the league would do it. People act like if we ran a screen to Mixon for no gain(because this team is terrible at them) that Aaron Donald is just going wander aimlessly around the LoS wide eyed and slack jawed for the rest of the series.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The double teaming with Hopkins worked. At the end of the 2nd half, the Rams overloaded a side and put a guy over center so Hopkins couldn't double.

We had no counter for that.

I can be somewhat simplistic in my football thinking, but can't you just run away from the overload?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I can be somewhat simplistic in my football thinking, but can't you just run away from the overload?  

That's what I thought too. I guess the Rams put 5 guys on the line and dropped 1 out too.
Reply/Quote
This is what had me upset the most. As bad as the line played we could've won this game if we just did a few things differently in my opinion. You just never know when you'll make it back and we let it slip thru our fingers. Taylor was a part of this run and he's grown on me but this is the negative side of Taylor and this loss is on him.
Reply/Quote
I was talking to a lifelong Bengal fan a few days before the game. He said that this two week preparation will say more about Zac's coaching than anything thus far. It did. Zac was bad. I love how he, along with Burrow and others, have changed the culture of this club. He also seems like a really good guy. But his coaching, quite honestly, just kinda sucks.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:36 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is what had me upset the most. As bad as the line played we could've won this game if we just did a few things differently in my opinion. You just never know when you'll make it back and we let it slip thru our fingers. Taylor was a part of this run and he's grown on me but this is the negative side of Taylor and this loss is on him.

Yes. Like maybe if we ran more. Instead we threw 70%.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:37 PM)Science Friction Wrote: was talking to a lifelong Bengal fan a few days before the game. He said that this two preparation will say more about Zac's coaching  than anything thus far. It did. Zac was bad.  I love how he, along with Burrow and others have changed the culture. He also seems like a really good guy. But his coaching, quite honestly, just kinda sucks.

You can be a good head coach and not great as a play caller or some other facet.  I would get the best person I can for everything.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:37 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I was talking to a lifelong Bengal fan a few days before the game. He said that this two week preparation will say more about Zac's coaching  than anything thus far. It did. Zac was bad.  I love how he, along with Burrow and others, have changed the culture of this club. He also seems like a really good guy. But his coaching, quite honestly, just kinda sucks.

He was outcoached for 2.5 years nearly every game...the around the bye this year things improved. Let's hope the continue to grow.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You can be a good head coach and not great as a play caller or some other facet.  I would get the best person I can for everything.  

Yes. Playcalling and gameplanning are the issue.
Reply/Quote