Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gameplan- Scouting the Jets
(09-05-2016, 10:29 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Whatever

so you question we did not play great against TE's last year ?? so you don;t think giving up just one TD and only around 4 catches a game and 42 YPG is a bad stat for a position that is getting more attention in the passing game in the NFL.

Another way to think about it if that was our starting TE, they would have had  around 64 catches for 672 yards and  only one TD for a season average.  I don;t think you would be very happy with that type of production from our starting TE.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if we'll see some of Jake Fisher as a TE in this game. It could make for what would be essentially an unbalanced line which could help against a Jets DL which is supposedly tough to run against.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 08:47 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I wonder if we'll see some of Jake Fisher as a TE in this game. It could make for what would be essentially an unbalanced line which could help against a Jets DL which is supposedly tough to run against.

I think you will see Fisher  as TE, we saw it some last year and I believe we will see it a bit more with T.E. out
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:48 AM)Tankvet Wrote: I'm curious how often we'll use gadget/trick plays, or (forgive me I'm a dummy) plays where the formation changes right before the snap.  I always love seeing a confused defense.  

I'd like to see us start off with a solid run game that allows us to see our new receivers' potential in action.  On defense I'm more worried about our corners than check downs.

Believe the Bengals will do a lot less of these trick plays under Zampese in lieu of when Hue was calling the shots.

Believe as well that you will get your wish and they will definitely try to establish the run as to alleviate pressure away from WR's. 

Do believe Dalton will take shot down field to keep them honest on one of the first few plays knowing Jets will be expecting us to try and establish run.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Jets have a heck of a defense. I hope people understand playing The Jets in their stadium is a hard game....The Jets had a top ranked defense last season....The Jets think Bengals defense is pretty tough also....This could be a defensive game. .....We will quickly find out how much we miss Jones, Sanu and injured Eifert on offense and how much we miss big play D backs Hall and Nelson. Can the younger players replace them is still a question going into this game. ......GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 08:47 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I wonder if we'll see some of Jake Fisher as a TE in this game. It could make for what would be essentially an unbalanced line which could help against a Jets DL which is supposedly tough to run against.

(09-07-2016, 09:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think you will see Fisher  as TE, we saw it some last year and I believe we will see it a bit more with T.E. out

I think that when Kroft and Eifert are bot healthy we will see a lot more 2 TE sets to help with the running game.
Reply/Quote
I'm nervous about this game and our pass defense. Pressure will be key. Fitzpatrick, Marshall, and Decker click better everytime they step onto the field. We need to hit Fitz early and often or this could be ugly for us.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 12:25 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: I'm nervous about this game and our pass defense.  Pressure will be key. Fitzpatrick, Marshall, and Decker click better everytime they step onto the field. We need to hit Fitz early and often or this could be ugly for us.
This will be a tough game on the road...I know we started 8-0 last season but they could easily start 0-3 this season....but not if they beat The Jets Sunday. ....Oh, I know, everybody will say we will crush the Jets, destroy the Steelers, clobber the Broncos. ....I hope they do, but I'm sure the players and coaches know these are 3 hard games to start a season with.  2 on the road and then Super Bowl winner in Cincy home opener. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: so you question we did not play great against TE's last year ?? so you don;t think giving up just one TD and only around 4 catches a game and 42 YPG is a bad stat for a position that is getting more attention in the passing game in the NFL.

Another way to think about it if that was our starting TE, they would have had  around 64 catches for 672 yards and  only one TD for a season average.  I don;t think you would be very happy with that type of production from our starting TE.

You did your math wrong bud...

1 TD and 42 yards a game equals to...

16 TDs & 672 yards... I'll take that production anyday.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:48 AM)Tankvet Wrote: I'm curious how often we'll use gadget/trick plays, or (forgive me I'm a dummy) plays where the formation changes right before the snap.  I always love seeing a confused defense.  

I'd like to see us start off with a solid run game that allows us to see our new receivers' potential in action.  On defense I'm more worried about our corners than check downs
Gruden was into the double tight ends and then Hue Jackson was into the weird O Lines of the QB behind just 3 linemen and putting linemen out with the WRs...I never saw these plays do much, by the way. I never saw them confuse anybody.....So Gruden runs his stuff in Washington DC and Hue will run his stuff in Cleveland. .....I'll take a guess on Zampese since his dad coached Air Coryell and this Zampese coached Rams Super Bowl of The Greatest Show On Turf of Kurt Warner and all those receivers and Marshall Faulk was called on to run but also be a receiver....The Zampese offense under dad and son is too many receiver options to cover....The dad had James Brooks in San Diego, and this son had Faulk in St Louis. .......LOOK FOR BERNARD, HILL, BURKHEAD or whoever is at RB to be expected to be a RB / WR.....If a RB can not catch, they can not play for Zampese. ....In preseason game 3 we saw pass catches for TD's by both Bernard and Hill.  That is Zampese football.   Line up with 5 receivers including the RB, and the QB must find and hit the open man, like a basketball game.  That is Zampese football. Dalton should never throw into double coverage in this offense, because that means Dalton isn't seeing the open receivers.....Dalton does roll out more than a Fouts or Kurt Warner, and that can be a problem if he rolls right and the open man is far left and Dalton doesn't see him or has to make a dangerous pass across court, or across field I should say. Those are hard pass plays. ...Zampese may not throw a whole new playbook at the team in first game, Gruden and Hue didn't.....IT CAN NO LONGER BE THE GRUDEN OR HUE OFFENSE. Bengals tried to run Wyche offense after he was fired, and it was a disaster. Zampese MUST run his own offense.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I haven't looked at the Stats, but I don't remember AJ doing too hot against Revis - I could see this game being a heavy defense run battle on both sides.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 01:49 PM)bengals73 Wrote: I haven't looked at the Stats, but I don't remember AJ doing too hot against Revis  - I could see this game being a heavy defense run battle on both sides.

Revis is not that same player he was back then.  A bunch of WRs lit up the Jets defense last year.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 12:10 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Counting on an aging vet and a rookie..... Yup it'll be an issue.

PacMan is an aging vet and he's our best corner.  Yup - he's an issue.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 12:08 PM)kevin Wrote: The Jets have a heck of a defense.  I hope people understand playing The Jets in their stadium is a hard game....The Jets had a top ranked defense last season....The Jets think Bengals defense is pretty tough also....This could be a defensive game. .....We will quickly find out how much we miss Jones, Sanu and injured Eifert on offense and how much we miss big play D backs Hall and Nelson.  Can the younger players replace them is still a question going into this game. ......GO BENGALS

Agree with this.  They are a good run stuffing defense.  We do poorly against such defenses.  I think we'll have to stretch the field successfully to loosen up the run.  With Revis that won't be all that easy.  Even if he is not the shut down guy he was he is a very tough corner.  If Boyd and Core can stretch the field it will open everything else up and we will win.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Revis is not that same player he was back then.  A bunch of WRs lit up the Jets defense last year.

Revis is declining and I think A.J. is still getting better.   It will be an interesting matchup to watch.  NY media says that even though Revis is not what he was earlier in his career he has looked really good in pre-season.
Reply/Quote
They will likely double up AJ especially with the all new corps behind him. As such, this will be a game where LaFell can show he is a good target and if he is just too rusty Tyler Boyd will need to step up and light it up. Having Kroft back at TE will be a help as while he does not have the same physical skills as Eifert he is a good receiver and blocker at TE.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:07 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Check downs and quick passes to TEs have been the demise of the of Bengals. With Burflict out, expect a lot of short passes for easy yardage over the middle. Maualuga and Dansby better be ready.

I always used to say if you want to beat the Bengals just throw it to whoever Maualuga was supposed to be watching over and over and you'll get down the field on us.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Kill em on the intermediate routes and run it down their throats interchangeably.  On D, play mostly cover 3 and make sure that Fitz has to throw into traffic if he wants to get any touchdowns.  
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 02:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Agree with this.  They are a good run stuffing defense.  We do poorly against such defenses.  I think we'll have to stretch the field successfully to loosen up the run.  With Revis that won't be all that easy.  Even if he is not the shut down guy he was he is a very tough corner.  If Boyd and Core can stretch the field it will open everything else up and we will win.

Just like preseason game 3.....Look for Zampese to try to have Bernard and Hill catch passes for big gains as he did when he coached Marshall Faulk with Kurt Warner in the Rams Super Bowl year. ....I do not think Bernard or Hill catching passes that went for touchdowns in preseason game 3 is a fluke.  That is very much how Zampese attacks defenses, the RBs must also be like WR's. ...If the Jets do bottle up our WR's and TE, then Bernard or Hill should be wide open for long gain pass catches. I think this is what we will see from Zampese as opposed to Gruden or Hue. Not the RB as a dump off pass, but the RB as big play receiver all season long. ...If you remember Marshall Faulk, then you know how Zampese will try to use Bernard or Hill or Burkhead the same way, as a fifth receiver that goes for big play yards on catches. Under Zampese the RB is not just a dump off pass, the RB is like a 5th WR now.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think this will be a good measuring stick for how prepared the Bengals are as a team because they are going to be playing against one of the premiere rbs in the game in Matt Forte. He is one of the best all around rbs period. If the Bengals can keep him contained and either shut down Eric Decker or Brandon Marshall then they will be in good shape. They need to get pressure on Ryan Fitzpatrick all day because the more he is rushed the better the chances of him turning the ball over increases. As far as offense goes, I think if they can get a steady rushing game it will be huge because with Leonard Williams and Muhammad Wilkerson on their defensive line it will be tough all day. Also, I Todd Bowles mentioned today that Darelle Revis will not be covering AJ all alone and that they plan to double team him. If that is true and not a smokescreen then this could be a huge day for Brandon LaFell or Tyler Boyd because someone is going to be open. Tyler Kroft could also be huge. However, I think the major factor overall will be how the offensive line protects Andy because if he is able to make solid throws and remain upright then he will have a legit shot of controlling the game and torching the defense. I think overall though with when and where the game is being played especially on 9/11 in NY, the game could go either way but I do believe the Bengals finally get a win in NY since the 1980s and start the season 1-0. Who Dey
Reply/Quote