Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardner Minshew
Anybody else see Minshew as a viable backup to JB beyond the suspect candidates for backup QB that we have trotted out in the last few years. Seems affordable and is certainly someone who could come cheaply in light of the weird Tebow dynamic.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 01:19 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Anybody else see Minshew as a viable backup to JB beyond the suspect candidates for backup QB that we have trotted out in the last few years.  Seems affordable and is certainly someone who could come cheaply in light of the weird Tebow dynamic.

Allen had a good game...

but i am all for a Vet with starting experience Behind burrow.

Tebow is a TE not a QB this time around and not likely to be on the final roster.
Reply/Quote
I would gladly trade the equivalent of whatever it was we gave up to move up for Finley for Minshew.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 08:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Allen had a good game...

but i am all for a Vet with starting experience Behind burrow.

Tebow is a TE  not a QB this time around  and not likely to be on the final roster.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tebow cut in camp, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him actually develop into an NFL TE. He's still put together like a tank, is a tremendous athlete, and has a desire to play. I would suspect he has worked with TE coaches prior to this signing instead of just embarrassing himself. His workout evidently went well enough Urban Meyer was willing to take the criticism for signing him. Everyone said he couldn't play QB in the NFL as well, yet there he was in the playoffs beating the Steelers, throwing for 316 yds. and 31.6 yds. per completion. He may succeed or may fall on his face, but it's going to be interesting to watch. Tebow was kept out of the league for a reason, and it wasn't his ability at QB. He may not have been starter material, but he was better than a whole slew of backups.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 10:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me to see Tebow cut in camp, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him actually develop into an NFL TE. He's still put together like a tank, is a tremendous athlete, and has a desire to play. I would suspect he has worked with TE coaches prior to this signing instead of just embarrassing himself. His workout evidently went well enough Urban Meyer was willing to take the criticism for signing him. Everyone said he couldn't play QB in the NFL as well, yet there he was in the playoffs beating the Steelers, throwing for 316 yds. and 31.6 yds. per completion. He may succeed or may fall on his face, but it's going to be interesting to watch. Tebow was kept out of the league for a reason, and it wasn't his ability at QB. He may not have been starter material, but he was better than a whole slew of backups.

i guess you can call him a TE but i always thought he be a prefect Fullback..  As the dude can (or could run) with the ball really well.    

He was not a Starting level QB   with his throwing ability   He was out due the circus that followed him which wasnt worth the distraction for a backup
Reply/Quote
I don't claim to have much knowledge of our backup QB's but my guess would be Minshew is better. Bring him in.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would gladly take Minshew as a backup in a heartbeat. I honestly think he's a better QB than a couple starters out there (Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Taysom Hill, Jalen Hurts, and Sam Darnold at the very least).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Did he get cut?

I'm struggling to understand why the Jags would want to get rid of him (cut or trade). He's only due 900k this year and is probably the best bargain QB in the entire NFL.

Plus, a lot of teams like having a backup with real starting experience, especially when they're paired with a rookie
Reply/Quote
I like Minshew, funny guy that can play in the NFL unlike our other backups we have had lately. I like Allen a bit after that 1
good game but after him our QB room is really bare. All for it, bring in another Stache, we lost Gio.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 02:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would gladly take Minshew as a backup in a heartbeat. I honestly think he's a better QB than a couple starters out there (Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Taysom Hill, Jalen Hurts, and Sam Darnold at the very least).

Bro I’m from Washington state. So I have all the bias and reason to love minshew however I live now in Jacksonville and I’ve seen every snap of Gardner and although I love the guy he’s is no starter and sure I’ll grant him back up duties but I’d still wanna improve my back up qv. Imo the bar is set with Fitzpatrick. Gardner imho is in now way shape or form even close to fitzy
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 08:22 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Bro I’m from Washington state.  So I have all the bias and reason to love minshew however I live now in Jacksonville and I’ve seen every snap of Gardner and although I love the guy he’s is no starter and sure I’ll grant him back up duties but I’d still wanna improve my back up qv.  Imo the bar is set with Fitzpatrick.  Gardner imho is in now way shape or form even close to fitzy

Think the problem with Fitz is it seems like when he's actually the starter, he stinks. If he usurps the starting QB mid-season or gets put in partway through a game, he's magic.

Besides all that, Fitzpatrick isn't available or in this theoretical, so not sure why he is brought in as "the bar". I just said he's better than a couple of the starting QBs out there, because there's a couple bad ones out there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think the problem with Fitz is it seems like when he's actually the starter, he stinks. If he usurps the starting QB mid-season or gets put in partway through a game, he's magic.

Besides all that, Fitzpatrick isn't available or in this theoretical, so not sure why he is brought in as "the bar". I just said he's better than a couple of the starting QBs out there, because there's a couple bad ones out there.

This.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think the problem with Fitz is it seems like when he's actually the starter, he stinks. If he usurps the starting QB mid-season or gets put in partway through a game, he's magic.

I can understand that. Honestly tho I just know now what minshew can and can’t do and I’d rather not. The guys a stud tho and minshew mania out here was fun but personally would rather stick with Allen
Reply/Quote
I don't think Minshew is going anywhere.

Tebow is only a TE by name. They're probably just going to use him in a set package of short yardage/goal line option plays. Wildcat stuff. He isn't going to be blocking DE's and going out on many routes.

He'll serve as an emergency QB, but he's not replacing Minshew as backup. Tebow will have his own special role.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Btw, just looking at his numbers, Minshew should be starting somewhere. Or at least competing to start.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think Minshew is going anywhere.

Tebow is only a TE by name. They're probably just going to use him in a set package of short yardage/goal line option plays. Wildcat stuff. He isn't going to be blocking DE's and going out on many routes.

He'll serve as an emergency QB, but he's not replacing Minshew as backup. Tebow will have his own special role.

I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear. Throughout the offseason, the Jags were reportedly moving on from Minshew. A a fringe starter, I think that a QB-needy team might give some draft capital for him. The draft came and went with no takers.

The Tebow dynamic I was referring to was centered Tebow’s “15” jersey. A consistent best-seller. Some of that has died down now that he has been issued “85”.

For my interest, it’s all about JB. He may or may not be truly 100% contact-ready Game 1. I’d rather take a cautious approach than rushing him back. With so many unknowns driving this roster, it’s wholly unrealistic to think this team hits the ground running. Maybe even irresponsible. With a big rookie class, few veterans from even 2018, newcomers galore, even guys who were here last year in injury shortened seasons (there are plenty) guys playing new positions, new kicker and punt returner, I’d hope ZT hasn’t been told to win at all costs or be fired. That would be ill advised. The long-term development takes precedence. We were slow to move on from Marvin. We haven’t just rebuilt, we have had a monster rebuild the likes are rarely seen.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 02:51 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear. Throughout the offseason, the Jags were reportedly moving on from Minshew. A a fringe starter, I think that a QB-needy team might give some draft capital for him. The draft came and went with no takers.

The Tebow dynamic I was referring to was centered Tebow’s “15” jersey. A consistent best-seller. Some of that has died down now that he has been issued “85”.

For my interest, it’s all about JB. He may or may not be truly 100% contact-ready Game 1. I’d rather take a cautious approach than rushing him back. With so many unknowns driving this roster, it’s wholly unrealistic to think this team hits the ground running. Maybe even irresponsible. With a big rookie class, few veterans from even 2018, newcomers galore, even guys who were here last year in injury shortened seasons (there are plenty) guys playing new positions, new kicker and punt returner, I’d hope ZT hasn’t been told to win at all costs or be fired. That would be ill advised. The long-term development takes precedence. We were slow to move on from Marvin. We haven’t just rebuilt, we have had a monster rebuild the likes are rarely seen.

I mean, if Minshew is available and has mentally accepted being a backup, I'd be all for trading a 6th for arguably the top backup in the league.

I know there was talk earlier in the offseason about the Jags trading Minshew, but I thought that ship had sailed? Who would be their #2 QB? Certainly not Tebow, I'd assume. But I guess I've heard of crazier things.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 12:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I mean, if Minshew is available and has mentally accepted being a backup, I'd be all for trading a 6th for arguably the top backup in the league.

I know there was talk earlier in the offseason about the Jags trading Minshew, but I thought that ship had sailed? Who would be their #2 QB? Certainly not Tebow, I'd assume. But I guess I've heard of crazier things.

finley is available for Jacksonville   
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 12:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: finley is available for Jacksonville   

You and I are available as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 12:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I mean, if Minshew is available and has mentally accepted being a backup, I'd be all for trading a 6th for arguably the top backup in the league.

I think that is why Jacksonville is looking to move on.  Minshew wants to be a starter.  Will he be a backup there?  He doesn't have a choice, as the coaches determine his roll.  But that doesn't mean he is not going to do everything he can to be the guy.  Some teams don't want that in the backup, and that is the rub...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote