Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garett Bolles may be on trading block?
The former All-Pro went down with a season ending broken leg in the 5th game of the season, but has otherwise been an excellent player for the Broncos. It is rumored that the Broncos may be looking to make some moves to recover some draft capitol. His contract isn't outrageous by today's standards, and he could very well be the answer the Bengals are looking for at Tackle.

I would offer the #28 pick for Bolles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/broncos-mulling-big-name-trade-to-recoup-draft-picks-cap-room/ar-AA17uRPV?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4c60f014cd27474bacc61533eee757ab

Quote:Overall, it has to be considered a successful offseason thus far for the Denver Broncos. Landing Sean Payton, even if they had to pay trade costs to make that deal happen, was absolutely massive for a franchise that, frankly, needs a lot of work after last season.

But the Payton trade coupled with the Russell Wilson trade and subsequent extension from last offseason have put the Broncos in a tough spot in two key areas. First, they are extremely low on draft capital. Secondly, they are not in the greatest position with the salary cap, especially given they have a roster that needs a great deal of work.

They might have an answer to that.

Appearing on KOA Colorado, NFL insider Benjamin Allbright noted that the Broncos could be looking to trade a former first-round pick, offensive tackle Garett Bolles.

Now, it's worth noting that Zac Stevens of DNVR refuted this a bit, saying that Denver had not had any talks about trading Bolles. However, Allbright then clearly responded without tagging in saying that people were wrapped up in semantics and that there could well be internal discussions still.

No matter the case, trading Bolles is an idea that's out there right now and would make some sense. For starters, the Broncos would recoup $9.823 million in cap room, effectively doubling the space they should have going into the offseason.

More importantly, though, Denver doesn't have a pick until the third round of this year's draft due to their trading and doesn't have a first-round pick in next year's draft either. While they might not be able to get a first-rounder in return for Bolles, they would be able to at least somewhat replenish their draft capital.

All told, we'll have to see what materializes with Bolles and the Broncos on the trade market. It figures to be a wild trade season now that the Super Bowl has come and gone, and Denver may well have a part to play in it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 05:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The former All-Pro went down with a season ending broken leg in the 5th game of the season, but has otherwise been an excellent player for the Broncos.  It is rumored that the Broncos may be looking to make some moves to recover some draft capitol.  His contract isn't outrageous by today's standards, and he could very well be the answer the Bengals are looking for at Tackle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/broncos-mulling-big-name-trade-to-recoup-draft-picks-cap-room/ar-AA17uRPV?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4c60f014cd27474bacc61533eee757ab

No way i would give them our 1st, but i would think about our 3rd or 4th rounder.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 05:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The former All-Pro went down with a season ending broken leg in the 5th game of the season, but has otherwise been an excellent player for the Broncos.  It is rumored that the Broncos may be looking to make some moves to recover some draft capitol.  His contract isn't outrageous by today's standards, and he could very well be the answer the Bengals are looking for at Tackle.

I dont know if I would do that.  Guy is already 30 coming off a broken leg.. no doubt he is good but 14M this year and 16M good next year?  

I'm inclined to let Jonah play that LT he is getting the 12.6 anyway, let Carmen compete with him.  Draft Darnell Wright to play RT for at least 5 years.  

After this season we can decide if Jonah has taken a huge leap forward for a 2nd contract or if Carmen is the man or next years free agency market looks much bigger or draft another #1 for LT.

Reply/Quote
Salary dumping veteran contracts rarely yields huge returns in terms of draft capital. The most recent example of this is Amari Cooper from Dallas only netting a 5th round pick despite being a legitimate #1 receiver in the NFL.

Stephon Gilmore is another example, traded in 2021 for a 6th round pick after signing a 5 year 65M contract. Joe Schobert was traded for a 6th rounder as well, after he signed that mammoth 5 year 53M dollar contract (paying an off ball linebacker 10M AAV is rough unless they're a true star, which Schobert was not). Ereck Flowers reeled in a 7th round swap after signing a 3 yr 30M contract. Jurrell Casey was traded in 2020 for a 7th round pick after signing a 4 year 60.4M contract. Everson Griffen was traded for a 6th round pick in 2020 after signing a 4 year 58M contract.

Even Calais Campbell was only worth a 5th round pick in 2020 because his contract was 4year 60M.

Now, some of those players were cases where the team acquiring the player was taking a flier on a highly drafted/thought of player who was not performing up to their contract (like Ereck Flowers), but most of those were established starting players who their team just couldn't afford to pay the contract that they signed them to.

And that has a cost in terms of what you get back.

Bolles is 30 years old, has two fairly large cap hits in the next two seasons and is coming off of a season ending injury.

I'd offer them a 5th round pick for him, and I'd go up to a 3rd round pick if there is some competition for him. But I don't know if there would be at that price.
Reply/Quote
Bolles would be one of those "all in on this window" kinda moves fans always talk about. It could possibly be low risk too really we know he's a great LT and he will be on two 1 year deals for 14 and 16m respectively. It doesn't stop the team from drafting a tackle for the future and it gives the Bengals alot more choices this year and next year.

Problem is whats the draft compensation? I expect a team like the Bears to outbid the Bengals.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 10:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Bolles would be one of those "all in on this window" kinda moves fans always talk about. It could possibly be low risk too really we know he's a great LT and he will be on two 1 year deals for 14 and 16m respectively. It doesn't stop the team from drafting a tackle for the future and it gives the Bengals alot more choices this year and next year.

Problem is whats the draft compensation? I expect a team like the Bears to outbid the Bengals.

The 14M and 16M cap hits could also be an issue....

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont know if I would do that.  Guy is already 30 coming off a broken leg.. no doubt he is good but 14M this year and 16M good next year?  

I'm inclined to let Jonah play that LT he is getting the 12.6 anyway, let Carmen compete with him.  Draft Darnell Wright to play RT for at least 5 years.  

After this season we can decide if Jonah has taken a huge leap forward for a 2nd contract or if Carmen is the man or next years free agency market looks much bigger or draft another #1 for LT.

That age doesn't bother me, as many OL play well into their mid thirties.  It's not like he's supposed to be the 12 year solution, just a 2-3 bridge to the next true franchise LT.  His salary numbers are actually quite fair for a competitive LT in today's market.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 08:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That age doesn't bother me, as many OL play well into their mid thirties.  It's not like he's supposed to be the 12 year solution, just a 2-3 bridge to the next true franchise LT.  His salary numbers are actually quite fair for a competitive LT in today's market.

All true, but I try to see things via the "Bengals way", in that how they historically approach deals, including recent free agency.

Contracts for 30 and over are rare. 
Contracts for 30 and over and injured, are extremely rare.

We seem to be, or should be IMO, in cost savings mode, attempting to get more production than cost at every position, instead of fair market rates.

I think Mixon is the only player whose production obviously did not exceed his cost this season? Bates?

Reply/Quote
He has the coveted glass eater mentality, no escaping that when you watch him on the field. I lived in Colorado when they drafted him.

I wonder if he could be had for a 4th round pick.... a lower pick, not the 1st.
Reply/Quote

I think we could have him for a lot less than our 1st round pick Sunset. Vet at 30 years old,  he is All-Pro but coming off a broken 
leg, I think we could get him for our 3rd round pick and I would do it in a hearbeat. Nice thread, this is the position we need to 
address in Free Agency, the LT spot even though Carman started to play much better that doesn't mean he is the answer.

We can add a RT in the Draft at RT like Darnell Wright and we are set on the OL for years to come in front of Burrow. This would
be an all in move for the Super Bowl type of move and would absolutely love it.
Reply/Quote
IMHO I think the FO is going to roll with the Carman/Williams winner at LT, Volson, Karras, Cappa and a draft pick at RT until Collins is back. After the first 2-3 games the OL was not bad at all, remember KC did not have one sack in the regular season game. Injuries killed the line and i think that's what the FO will remember and think about. I would like a splash move to solidify the line, but i just don't see it happening.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we could have him for a lot less than our 1st round pick Sunset. Vet at 30 years old,  he is All-Pro but coming off a broken 
leg, I think we could get him for our 3rd round pick and I would do it in a hearbeat. Nice thread, this is the position we need to 
address in Free Agency, the LT spot even though Carman started to play much better
that doesn't mean he is the answer.

We can add a RT in the Draft at RT like Darnell Wright and we are set on the OL for years to come in front of Burrow. This would
be an all in move for the Super Bowl type of move and would absolutely love it.

Having multiple Tackles capable of playing should be the standard, as opposed to a luxury in football.  I think that too many are fixated on the idea of the offense potentially falling to pieces if Tee Higgins moves on to a max contract somewhere.  Just take a look at both teams that were in the Superbowl, both with very strong offensive lines.  In fact, the Chiefs even showed the blueprint on how to let your electric WR walk and still win the big one.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe if there's a way to work out a swap with Jonah Williams plus a later draft pick, maybe on Day 3.
Bolles has 2 years remaining whereas Jonah is in his last year.
They can negotiate the salary coverage so the Bengals don't get stiffed for Jonah's 5th year option plus Bolles' contract.
Williams might be more appealing for Broncos given he's only just turned 25 years old and they need to arguably rebuild to some extent.

With Carman (and/or potentially a draft pick) waiting in the wings, this might not be a terrible stopgap solution while development continues.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe if there's a way to work out a swap with Jonah Williams plus a later draft pick, maybe on Day 3.
They can negotiate the salary coverage so the Bengals don't get stiffed for Jonah's 5th year option plus Bolles' contract.
Williams might be more appealing for Broncos given he's only just turned 25 years old and they need to arguably rebuild to some extent.

With Carman (and/or potentially a draft pick) waiting in the wings, this might not be a terrible stopgap solution while development continues.

The entire premise of the Broncos moving Bolles for picks, is due to the fact that they don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year or next.  I initially said I would trade pick #28, as it is so late in the 1st round.  Perhaps pick #60 would be fair compensation.  Gives the Broncos a much needed day 2 pick, and the Bengals get a proven LT.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The entire premise of the Broncos moving Bolles for picks, is due to the fact that they don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year or next.  I initially said I would trade pick #28, as it is so late in the 1st round.  Perhaps pick #60 would be fair compensation.  Gives the Broncos a much needed day 2 pick, and the Bengals get a proven LT.

They still need to move Jonah Williams though.
They won't pay Jonah Williams' salary this year to ride the bench.

Now if you wanted to suggest letting Collins go once allowed and having Williams cover RT while Bolles covers LT, that might work.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They still need to move Jonah Williams though.

Now if you wanted to suggest letting Collins go once allowed and having Williams cover RT while Bolles covers LT, that might work.

Exactly something similar to that.  Do what you must, in order to get the best 5 on the field together.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having multiple Tackles capable of playing should be the standard, as opposed to a luxury in football.  I think that too many are fixated on the idea of the offense potentially falling to pieces if Tee Higgins moves on to a max contract somewhere.  Just take a look at both teams that were in the Superbowl, both with very strong offensive lines.  In fact, the Chiefs even showed the blueprint on how to let your electric WR walk and still win the big one.  

Hit the nail on the head Sunset. You know where I stand, I want the strongest trenches in the league. That is where games are won
and the Chiefs shown it once again. Need to go all in on the OL and not be happy with what we have except for the interior where we
look pretty damn solid for once. La'el and Jonah both coming off of injuries one that may be career ending makes an OT in FA essential
for us this Offseason and draft an OT early to compete at the very least. 

I guarantee if we get the OL fortified in front of Burrow, we will be better off than just bringing Tee back and we all love Tee.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They still need to move Jonah Williams though.

Considering he's never done that and would have to reset all his muscle memory, it's bold of us to assume it'll work well enough to risk $13M in cap space. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe if there's a way to work out a swap with Jonah Williams plus a later draft pick, maybe on Day 3.

Swapping Jonah wouldn't give them much salary cap relief.  If we are going "all in" find a way to get Tunsil and work Jonah into that deal.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:26 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Considering he's never done that and would have to reset all his muscle memory, it's bold of us to assume it'll work well enough to risk $13M in cap space. 

It's not bold of us to assume that Williams could just "do that", we're just fans of the team.  However, it would be bold of the team to just assume that Williams could just seamlessly adapt to doing his exact, practiced motion sequences in the opposite direction that he's typically been doing them.   Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote