Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Barnidge
(05-14-2017, 06:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You really only think that with all of his experience, Barnidge would only be slightly better than Uzomah?  I'm going to have to disagree with you.  Uzomah may have better physical tools to work with, but Barnidge is a polished player who both knows how to get open, and catches the ball well.  He would be an ideal pickup to step in, should Eifert continue to struggle with injuries.

Both our backups have more upside , they are not ready at all to walk away from these two draft picks.. Barnidge also will be too high of a asking price.. a team like Baltimore or a few others will have more pressing need at TE than we do.... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 03:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Both our backups have more upside , they are not ready at all to walk away from these two draft picks.. Barnidge also will be too high of a asking price.. a team like Baltimore or a few others will have more pressing need at TE than we do.... 

Those backups may have more potential upside, but how much were they able to produce in Eifert's absence?  Not much. 

I'm not advocating that the Bengals give Barnidge starter money, or even any money for that matter.  I'm just pointing out that having a polished veteran TE on the team might not be a bad idea, as both Uzomah and Kroft are most definitely still in "developmental" stage of their careers. .

Now, there is another answer already on the team.  Ryan Hewitt.  If they go back to a more prolific use of Hewitt as the H-back, both as a blocker and as a receiver, it would certainly give more plays to the offense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 04:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those backups may have more potential upside, but how much were they able to produce in Eifert's absence?  Not much. 

I'm not advocating that the Bengals give Barnidge starter money, or even any money for that matter.  I'm just pointing out that having a polished veteran TE on the team might not be a bad idea, as both Uzomah and Kroft are most definitely still in "developmental" stage of their careers. .

Now, there is another answer already on the team.  Ryan Hewitt.  If they go back to a more prolific use of Hewitt as the H-back, both as a blocker and as a receiver, it would certainly give more plays to the offense.

We are not going to just cut those draft picks.. we are not going to carry 4 TEs, and we will lose one of them... Kroft got hurt.. Uzomah showed improvement... we struggled on offense yes. but still not enough time or tape to say these two will not improve and do just fine.  

We are good at TE over losing one, paying Barnidge etc..   as i stated before, Barnidge did nothing for 5 years, you have to give talent time if you feel there is talent there.. i believe our TE's have that talent.. they will help us this year.. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 03:10 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: After the Browns drafted Njoku, they'll be cutting Gary Barndige. I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a look. He's a solid receiver and would provide depth if we don't want to draft a tight end.

I love it on paper, but I hope we go more spread and use all our WR's.  If your name isn't Eifert, play the fast guys in my opinion.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 12:19 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I love it on paper, but I hope we go more spread and use all our WR's.  If your name isn't Eifert, play the fast guys in my opinion.

totally agree this will actually help our line.. spread them out.. gives them less rushers at the line.. quick passing.. and at times deep threat... I believe TE will less of a feature for us.. outside of Eifert
Reply/Quote
I'm a bit shocked to see this guy hasn't been signed yet here in the first week of pre-season. Maybe he is praying some #1 TE gets hurt I guess.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 08:43 PM)RobotWillie Wrote: I'm a bit shocked to see this guy hasn't been signed yet here in the first week of pre-season. Maybe he is praying some #1 TE gets hurt I guess.

At his age, he's likely not going to take the pounding for a low ball deal.  If he's going to play, he wants starter money.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yes, the same sort of deal Kaepernick is in I guess you would say, but I'd also say GB has less of an ego and less of a stigma attached. But that doesn't mean he still doesn't want his money and a starter spot.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 08:47 PM)RobotWillie Wrote: Yes, the same sort of deal Kaepernick is in I guess you would say, but I'd also say GB has less of an ego and less of a stigma attached. But that doesn't mean he still doesn't want his money and a starter spot.

Kaepernick is a whole other Deal

Barnage is older

Keapernick has a lot of bad baggage (in addition to just not being very good at all)
Reply/Quote
He'll most likely find his way to Baltimore. I don't blame him for not wanting to go through the brutality of TC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 03:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: He'll most likely find his way to Baltimore. I don't blame him for not wanting to go through the brutality of TC.

Last I saw him he was working on becoming a Pro Wrestler with Deangelo Williams..
Reply/Quote