Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay NY Journalist dumps Democratic Party
I have first hand seen many vicious attacks (Facebook, mind you) by the LGBTQ community (and...yes, I understand a few bad eggs do not represent everyone), on anyone with a different view.
It just seems that tolerance isn't acceptable, anymore.
If you do not subscribe to their beliefs, you are the enemy.
Now, of course, Conservatives do the same.
However, liberals just seem more shocking, as they were recently pushing tolerance.
I just wish people would realize that they cannot change minds with arguments and insults.

http://nyp.st/2kdGjb2
(02-26-2017, 11:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I have first hand seen many vicious attacks (Facebook, mind you) by the LGBTQ community (and...yes, I understand a few bad eggs do not represent everyone), on anyone with a different view.
However, liberals just seem more shocking, as they were recently pushing tolerance.
I just wish people would realize that they cannot change minds with arguments and insults.

Haven't read you article yet but you bring up an interesting point:

Does "pushing tolerance" mean you can't say anything bad about someone?

For example:  I support gay marriage.  What two, consenting, adults do is none of my business unless they are doing it in the middle of a public place IMHO.

But do I become intolerant if I tell someone who is ANTI gay marriage that they are wrong because their reasons come from a religion that I don't ascribe to?

I say that someone lied over and over and has been proven to have lied over and over am I being intolerant of people who refuse to tell or believe the truth?

If I call my ex-brother in law who is the image of the stereotypical redneck a redneck am I being intolerant of him or just observant?  Because he will tell you he is a redneck and proud of it.

And does this carry the same weight as a Republican running as the party of family values while having an affair  Or voting against gay issues while secretly being gay?

Interesting.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-26-2017, 11:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I have first hand seen many vicious attacks (Facebook, mind you) by the LGBTQ community (and...yes, I understand a few bad eggs do not represent everyone), on anyone with a different view.

I think the Nation is slowly learning what we have known on this board for some time. The left is only tolerant of those that agree with their beliefs. I posted a similar link where the left attacked Rory McIlroy because he played a round of golf with the President when asked. Or the African American lady that was going to sing at the inauguration. She was shammed so violently on social media that she withdrew. There are countless others.

My hope is that one day the only true minority is those motivated by hate. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-26-2017, 12:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Haven't read you article yet but you bring up an interesting point:

Does "pushing tolerance" mean you can't say anything bad about someone?

For example:  I support gay marriage.  What two, consenting, adults do is none of my business unless they are doing it in the middle of a public place IMHO.

But do I become intolerant if I tell someone who is ANTI gay marriage that they are wrong because their reasons come from a religion that I don't ascribe to?

I say that someone lied over and over and has been proven to have lied over and over am I being intolerant of people who refuse to tell or believe the truth?

If I call my ex-brother in law who is the image of the stereotypical redneck a redneck am I being intolerant of him or just observant?  Because he will tell you he is a redneck and proud of it.

And does this carry the same weight as a Republican running as the party of family values while having an affair  Or voting against gay issues while secretly being gay?

Interesting.

I don't know that telling someone they are "wrong" is the right approach.
I'd be more inclined to say "I do not agree with you".
If you tell someone they're wrong, they'll double-down on their position.
You cannot change hearts and minds like that.
I think the same goes for saying bad things.
Proper wording goes a long way.

I agree with your opinion on gay marriage/relationships and concerning your examples of Republican hypocrisy.
(02-26-2017, 12:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My hope is that one day the only true minority is those motivated by hate. 

That's a beautiful statement.
(02-26-2017, 12:28 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I don't know that telling someone they are "wrong" is the right approach.
I'd be more inclined to say "I do not agree with you".
If you tell someone they're wrong, they'll double-down on their position.
You cannot change hearts and minds like that.
I think the same goes for saying bad things.
Proper wording goes a long way.

I agree with your opinion on gay marriage/relationships and concerning your examples of Republican hypocrisy.

When my wife went back to college to get her degree three years after we were married my biggest fear was her taking her math credits because it involved my teaching her math and her crying when I would say she was wrong.  I kept asking if there was a nicer way to say she was getting the answers incorrect but saying she was right wasn't going to help her get it right.

I don't just "disagree" that every adult citizen deserves the right to marry the other adult of their choice....I think the other side is wrong.

And I'm sure they aren't going to change their minds...but they are still wrong.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-26-2017, 08:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: When my wife went back to college to get her degree three years after we were married my biggest fear was her taking her math credits because it involved my teaching her math and her crying when I would say she was wrong.  I kept asking if there was a nicer way to say she was getting the answers incorrect but saying she was right wasn't going to help her get it right.

I don't just "disagree" that every adult citizen deserves the right to marry the other adult of their choice....I think the other side is wrong.

And I'm sure they aren't going to change their minds...but they are still wrong.

You are more than entitled to your opinion and I understand your position.
My perspective is only slightly different.
I will not tell you are wrong.

Btw... I taking the bold out of context and showing your wife.
Ninja