Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genetic editing in humans
(03-20-2016, 05:10 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I am more about protecting the researchers and the research until it is ready for common use rather than preventing them from doing their thing.

Exactly. Research is a good thing. Thorough testing and investigation until results are well known is essential to advancement.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2016, 07:36 PM)Beaker Wrote: Exactly. Research is a good thing. Thorough testing and investigation until results are well known is essential to advancement.

I agree with this.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2016, 09:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is what threw me because I did not understand the difference.

Me either.

I've grown jaded because the incentives in "science" are no longer to be right, but to be trusted.   You get published, you get tenure.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 03:12 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Me either.

I've grown jaded because the incentives in "science" are no longer to be right, but to be trusted.   You get published, you get tenure.

But everything they publish is peer reviewed.  They could feed us a load of garbage, but they can't do that to their peers.

plus with medical advances like this there are big dollars at stake.  That also works to seed out the BS.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Since 2012 scientists have been using a tool called CRISPR-Cas9 to find and correct mutations in genes that can cause disease. Some call it a medical miracle that will eliminate genetic diseases like sickle cell anemia, Alzheimer's, and even some cancers. Others call it a science fiction nightmare waiting to happen.

All of the research had been on animals until last year when Chinese scientists reported that they had experimented on human embryos. There was a call for a world wide moratorium on human gene editing, but in February a group of scientist in the UK announced they were going forward with research on human embryos. All embryos will be destroyed within days, so there is still no plan to allow altered human genes to enter the reproductive pool, but everyone knows it is the first step in that direction.

Apparently if an adult has his genes altered to treat a disease the alteration is not passed on to his offspring (not sure how this works), but if the genes are altered in the embryo stage the change is permanent and will be passed on to future generations.

To me this is more than just a fear of a "slippery slope". What I consider a "slippery slope" is looking for unintended or exaggerated consequences from a policy. But in this case it is clear that the only possible goal of these experiments is the ultimate editing of human genes at the embryo level.

At this time I am not against the research, but this is a very very dangerous road to start down.

BTW I thought about posting this in the P&R forum, but it is toxic over there right now. So let's try to keep the discussions reasonable and not turn into an abortion debate or something like that.

with how dumb the gerenal population is getting something has to be done... And apparently fixing the schools hasnt helped.
Reply/Quote
In the news today:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-removed-hiv-dna-from-human-immune-cells-using-new-gene-editing-technique

Quote:Scientists have removed HIV from human immune cells using a new gene-editing technique

Using the much-touted CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing method, scientists have demonstrated how they can edit HIV out of human immune cell DNA, and in doing so, can prevent the reinfection of unedited cells too.

If you haven’t heard of the CRISPR/Cas9 gene-editing technique before, get ready to hear a whole lot more about it in 2016, because it’s set to revolutionise how we investigate and treat the root causes of genetic disease. It allows scientists to narrow in on a specific gene, and cut-and-paste parts of the DNA to change its function.

CRISPR/Cas9 is what researchers in the UK have recently gotten approval to use on human embryos so they can figure out how to improve IVF success rates and reduce miscarriages, and it’s what Chinese scientists were caught using in 2015 to tweak human embryos on the down-low.

Earlier this year, scientists started using CRISPR/Cas9 to successfully treat a genetic disease - Duchenne muscular dystrophy - in living mammals for the first time, and now it’s showing real potential as a possible treatment for HIV in the future.

The technique works by guiding 'scissor-like' proteins to targeted sections of DNA within a cell, and then prompting them to alter or 'edit' them in some way. CRISPR refers to a specific repeating sequence of DNA extracted from a prokaryote - a single-celled organism such as bacteria - which pairs up with an RNA-guided enzyme called Cas9.

So basically, if you want to edit the DNA of a virus within a human cell, you need a bacterium to go in, encounter the virus, and produce a strand of RNA that’s identical to the sequence of the virtual DNA.

This 'guide RNA' will then latch onto the Cas9 enzyme, and together they’ll search for the matching virus. Once they locate it, the Cas9 gets to cutting and destroying it.

Using this technique, researchers from Temple University managed to eliminate HIV-1 DNA from T cell genomes in human lab cultures, and when these cells were later exposed to the virus, they were protected from reinfection.

"The findings are important on multiple levels," says lead researcher Kamel Khalili. "They demonstrate the effectiveness of our gene editing system in eliminating HIV from the DNA of CD4 T-cells and, by introducing mutations into the viral genome, permanently inactivating its replication."

"Further," he adds, "they show that the system can protect cells from reinfection and that the technology is safe for the cells, with no toxic effects."

While gene-editing techniques have been trialled before when it comes to HIV, this is the first time that scientists have figure out how to prevent further infections, which is crucial to the success of a treatment that offers better protection than our current antiretroviral drugs. Once you stop taking these drugs, the HIV starts overloading the T-cells again.

"Antiretroviral drugs are very good at controlling HIV infection," says Khalili. "But patients on antiretroviral therapy who stop taking the drugs suffer a rapid rebound in HIV replication."

There’s still a lot more work to be done in getting this technique ready for something more advanced than human cells in a petri dish - particularly when it comes to perfect accuracy for the 'cutting' process - but it’s an exciting first step.

The results have been published in Scientific Reports.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote