Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gennett/Wood what can we expect ?
Can Alex Wood and Scooter Gennett really make that big a difference in the 2nd half ? I just don't know ?

I'm hoping Wood can come in and fairly quickly get on track we need him to return to his former self and fast ! Let's face it Disco and Mahle are both shaping up to be 5th at best 4th place starters. We need a true top 3 guy to step in there and start getting some wins. Yes I know we're in the top in pitching this season but we need to start taking it easy on that bullpen if there's any chance this team has at a wildcard ?

I'm like Gramps, I'm just not so sure Scooter is gonna be that big a shot in the arm.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 12:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Can Alex Wood and Scooter Gennett really make that big a difference in the 2nd half ? I just don't know ?

I'm hoping Wood can come in and fairly quickly get on track we need him to return to his former self and fast ! Let's face it Disco and Mahle are both shaping up to be 5th at best 4th place starters. We need a true top 3 guy to step in there and start getting some wins. Yes I know we're in the top in pitching this season but we need to start taking it easy on that bullpen if there's any chance this team has at a wildcard ?

I'm like Gramps, I'm just not so sure Scooter is gonna be that big a shot in the arm.

Gennett for sure.  But where do the Red's play Dietrich?  I think Disco is the odd man out.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
We have not really missed Scooter because of Dietrich.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have not really missed Scooter because of Dietrich.

That .229 batting average is awesome.. I wish everyone could accomplish that.. If he was hitting .250 all season he'd have at least 60 RBI's..  Sorry Fred.. Scooter's bat has been missed a LOT..  Hello....310 BA and 92 RBI's? We didn't miss him? Well OK then.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 05:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: That .229 batting average is awesome.. I wish everyone could accomplish that.. If he was hitting .250 all season he'd have at least 60 RBI's..  Sorry Fred.. Scooter's bat has been missed a LOT..  Hello....310 BA and 92 RBI's? We didn't miss him? Well OK then.. 

Deitrich has a higher on base percentage than Scooter had last year (.358 to .357) and his slugging percentage is close to 100 points higher (.583 to .490).  

This year Dietrich is averaging an RBI every 4.4 at bats and a run scored every 4.9.  Last year Scooter averaged an RBI every 6.3 at bats and a run every 6.8.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 05:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: That .229 batting average is awesome.. I wish everyone could accomplish that.. If he was hitting .250 all season he'd have at least 60 RBI's..  Sorry Fred.. Scooter's bat has been missed a LOT..  Hello....310 BA and 92 RBI's? We didn't miss him? Well OK then.. 

Isn't Dietrich leading team with HR?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Wood with another setback! Early August is now looking like his earliest return. I said before that I wouldn’t be surprised if he missed the year, it could happen! The guy was hurt when he was traded here. Has anyone else on here had or known someone with back issues? His career could be over, that’s just too unstable to predict a comeback time or even a comeback. He’s had enough issues with it for close to a whole year now.
Reply/Quote
He's still hitting now below .229. Any way you want to slice it a .229 batting average is not as good as .310. There's more to the game than JUST homeruns folks.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 11:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Wood with another setback! Early August is now looking like his earliest return. I said before that I wouldn’t be surprised if he missed the year, it could happen! The guy was hurt when he was traded here. Has anyone else on here had or known someone with back issues? His career could be over, that’s just too unstable to predict a comeback time or even a comeback. He’s had enough issues with it for close to a whole year now.

Damn !!  Cry
Reply/Quote
Oh c'mon. Wood is only dinged. Don't lose hope now. As every kid from Pittsburgh to St Louis knows dinged in Cincinnati only means his arms and legs have been completely severed from his torso.. Nothing to be alarmed about..
I propose the word dinged be completely stricken and banned from any and all Cincinnati sports talk.  

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 02:18 AM)grampahol Wrote: He's still hitting now below .229. Any way you want to slice it a .229 batting average is not as good as .310. There's more to the game than JUST homeruns folks.. 

I still say Dietrich's production was better than Scooter's last year, BUT*.  .  .  

Notice anything interesting about Derek's numbers this year?

March, April, June....... .171 avg, 6 HR
May........................... .340 avg, 12 HR

Then there is the fact that Dietrich is 30 this year and had almost 2000 major league at bats over 6 seasons before joining the Reds.  He had never hit more than 16 HR in any season and averaged one every 31 at bats compared to one evey ten at bats so far this year.

So while I want to give Dietrich credit for filling in for Scooter I think his first half production was just a flash in the pants.  Hope Gennett comes back 100% real quick.

* Yeah, I like big "buts", I can not lie.  
Reply/Quote