Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno
(08-24-2021, 05:12 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Coaching matters a lot more when the player being coached actually tries.

What if the player "tries" for literally every coach he's ever had minus the unqualified one?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 05:12 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Coaching matters a lot more when the player being coached actually tries.

Funny how 90% of the players apparently were not trying for that coach.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2021, 08:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny how 90% of the players apparently were not trying for that coach.

Funny how a professional athlete signs a multi million dollar contract to play football and then decides to just go through the motions.  After pocketing the "signing bonus."

When a player gives less than full effort, whose responsibility is that?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2021, 10:06 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: When a player gives less than full effort, whose responsibility is that?

The main job of a coach is getting the most out of his players.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 07:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Agreed on the NFC Bengals, I mean Cardinals, and absolutely agree on the not the AFCN stance.  Unfortunately, I see him going to the Browns.  He gets the chance to stick it to this coaching staff twice a year on a contender that has a need at the inside of the defensive line.

Larry O is Better then Geno right now...so if anything, the Browns (and esp. Baker) should be scared shitless when we play . Geno no longer scares anybody. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2021, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The main job of a coach is getting the most out of his players.

I disagree.  The job of a coach is putting his players in position to succeed.  When an athlete chooses to pout on the bench, it's totally on him.  

There are two things we can always control and that are TOTALLY our choices -- effort and attitude.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2021, 08:17 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I disagree.  The job of a coach is putting his players in position to succeed.  When an athlete chooses to pout on the bench, it's totally on him.  

There are two things we can always control and that are TOTALLY our choices -- effort and attitude.  

If someone rapes my daughter it is my choice to get mad about it or not, but no one with a brain would blame me if I did.  You can't just say that it is impossible for a coach to be responsible for poor results.

Head Coaches Lewis and Carroll have long careers with winning records.  Dunlap produced at a very high level for both of them.  Zac Taylor has one of the worst head coaching records in NFL history.  At some point you have to realize that good players won't put up with incompetent coaches.
Reply/Quote
Dunlap didn't choose his coach. But he did choose to sign a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals. Which he failed to honor, pissing off many of his teammates who were busting their butts.

I'll say it again -- each of us is totally responsible for effort and attitude. Dunlap sucked at both.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 10:16 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I'll say it again -- each of us is totally responsible for effort and attitude.  Dunlap sucked at both.

Dunlap did what any of us would have done with coaches that were ruining our careers.

Dunlap has a long history of good attitude and effort under competent winning coaches.  Zac and Lou have a track record of complete incompetence.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 08:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap did what any of us would have done with coaches that were ruining our careers.

Dunlap has a long history of good attitude and effort under competent winning coaches.  Zac and Lou have a track record of complete incompetence.

We will agree to disagree.  I prefer players who don't quit.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2021, 07:45 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: We will agree to disagree.  I prefer players who don't quit.

So do you support Mike Brown over all the players he has driven to quit on the Bengals (Pickens, Johnson, Spikes, Dillon, Palmer, Chad, etc)?

I don't.  I prefer players who want to win.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 08:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap did what any of us would have done with coaches that were ruining our careers.

BS. A 100 million dollar Defensive End should be able to play in any system and perform. Just because he was asked to play in a system that did not fit his "one trick pony" niche, he put out zero effort. Sorry, I liked Dunlap right up until his last year here, at which point everyone should be able to see that he just quit on the team. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2021, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: BS. A 100 million dollar Defensive End should be able to play in any system and perform. Just because he was asked to play in a system that did not fit his "one trick pony" niche, he put out zero effort. Sorry, I liked Dunlap right up until his last year here, at which point everyone should be able to see that he just quit on the team. 

Amen
Reply/Quote

Even if one of us was Geno Atkins?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2021, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: he just quit on the team. 

The team quit on him.  Coaches did not want him but front office would not trade him so they benched him behind lesser players.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2021, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The team quit on him.  Coaches did not want him but front office would not trade him so they benched him behind lesser players.

Because he refused to put any effort into playing in the system. If you aren't trying, you deserve to be benched behind lessor players.
Reply/Quote
Terrible ending for what was a good career here. Over & done with now.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 12:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because he refused to put any effort into playing in the system. If you aren't trying, you deserve to be benched behind lessor players.

He was putting in just as much effort as all the other players. And his production was better.

Funny how the exact same people who claim "production trumps potential" are fine with benching Dunlap for players with less production.
Reply/Quote
Lol, I keep checking in to see if he signed somewhere and all I missed was bickering back and forth lol
Reply/Quote
Happy we traded Price for BJ Hill, reminds me of a much younger Geno in ways.
Reply/Quote