Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno Atkins Not on the block
A little surprised how many in this thread think Geno will be on the team next year. To me it's a foregone conclusion that he's done and will be released in the offseason, and that the team just doesn't want to trade him feeling like the return won't justify the slight amount of help he can give us at a depleted position down the stretch of this year. I don't buy this "easing him in" garbage. Not when they sign a dude off the street who's playing massively more snaps.

I'd absolutely trade him if for no other reason than to clear cap room to roll over to next year. He's part of Marvin's core, not the core that will take us to playoff contention in the future. Cut ties asap. I know they won't do this, but I'd honestly rather than trade Geno for like a 7 and trade for Quinnen Williams. Build the new core now. And I say that as someone who's message board name sake is based on Geno. He's one of my favorite Bengals of all time.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Next year will be year #3 of the "re-build".

There is ZERO excuse for not being a playoff contender after three years of re-building.  If a head coach can't buid a contender in 3 years then he can't do it at all.

Since Atkins should still be a solid starter next year there is no reason to trade him away.  All that would do would create another hole to fill and we have no one on the roster to fill that hole.

Trading away solid starters with a replacement hurts re-building.  The only time to do that is in year one.  If you are creating new holes for year three then you don't know how to re-build.

Do you think this team will be a play off contender next year?  I don't.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Do you think this team will be a play off contender next year?  I don't.

That's the thing you have to ask yourself ? Is Geno or AJ going to be a part of the longer range plans ? 
if you can get a higher round pick out of either I say do it. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Do you think this team will be a play off contender next year?  I don't.

(10-30-2020, 06:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the thing you have to ask yourself ? Is Geno or AJ going to be a part of the longer range plans ? 
if you can get a higher round pick out of either I say do it. 

You guys are missing the point.

How many years do you give Zac to re-build this team?

If you honestly don't think we will be a contender next year then we need to get rid of Zac and let the next coach make the personnel moves.

No NFL team should give a new coach 4 years to re-build.  after four years the rookies from the first draft are ready to leave in free agency.  And there have been way to many examples of good coaches turning teams around in one or two years.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This team isn't in a play off window let alone a Super Bowl window.  By the time this team is poised to make a playoff run Geno will be near the end of his career.  Trade him now for what you can get to surround Burrow with a young nucleus. It's not like Anarumo is using him to the utmost of his ability and the Bengals will miss the play offs without him this year or the next.

That's not true at all they have a top 10 QB on a rookie deal. We are in the best window we have had and probably will have with Burrow as our QB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We need to move on from Geno and keep AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you honestly don't think we will be a contender next year then we need to get rid of Zac and let the next coach make the personnel moves.

This.

The idea that he still needs more time to rebuild is absurd.  
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:50 PM)J24 Wrote: That's not true at all they have a top 10 QB on a rookie deal. We are in the best window we have had and probably will have with Burrow as our QB.

Not this season or next. And not until they fix the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys are missing the point.

How many years do you give Zac to re-build this team?

If you honestly don't think we will be a contender next year then we need to get rid of Zac and let the next coach make the personnel moves.

No NFL team should give a new coach 4 years to re-build.  after four years the rookies from the first draft are ready to leave in free agency.  And there have been way to many examples of good coaches turning teams around in one or two years.

I'm not missing the point.  I would have fired Taylor after last season.  I haven't seen anything to change my mind.  I'd fire him after this season.  I think the chances of this front office firing him after this season are slim to none.  And if they do fire him then they're in year one with a new coach and what did you say about trading players in year one?
Reply/Quote
Huge mistake to not trade him. If someone is willing to take on that contract you do it and you don’t think twice. Regardless what the return is.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:07 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: A little surprised how many in this thread think Geno will be on the team next year. To me it's a foregone conclusion that he's done and will be released in the offseason, and that the team just doesn't want to trade him feeling like the return won't justify the slight amount of help he can give us at a depleted position down the stretch of this year. I don't buy this "easing him in" garbage. Not when they sign a dude off the street who's playing massively more snaps.

I'd absolutely trade him if for no other reason than to clear cap room to roll over to next year. He's part of Marvin's core, not the core that will take us to playoff contention in the future. Cut ties asap. I know they won't do this, but I'd honestly rather than trade Geno for like a 7 and trade for Quinnen Williams. Build the new core now. And I say that as someone who's message board name sake is based on Geno. He's one of my favorite Bengals of all time.

The rumor is that Geno's shoulder needs surgery, but he agreed to put it off until after the season and play limited snaps this year.  If that's the case, he can't pass a physical to facilitate a trade.  However, at this point, the best move would be for him to go under the knife now and get a jump on his rehab.  We're toast this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 09:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: The rumor is that Geno's shoulder needs surgery, but he agreed to put it off until after the season and play limited snaps this year.  If that's the case, he can't pass a physical to facilitate a trade.  However, at this point, the best move would be for him to go under the knife now and get a jump on his rehab.  We're toast this year.

Agree. Cut him open and fix it.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 07:22 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: We need to move on from Geno and keep AJ Green.

You have the names reversed. Green is the guy you let walk as that is a position where we have guys that are already stepping up. Why pay him big $ when there are needs in so many other places and there are already good, young WRs on the roster?
D line stinks so let’s see what Geno can do when healthy. I also think there are tons of really good WRs in the league but not too many good (he used to be great) DTs.
Reply/Quote
zac taking his good ole' time rebuiildin'. should be fired now, along with Lou, let someone else give Burrow a try.
Reply/Quote

Absolutely not. In my humble opinion the Bengals waited too long to move Geno Atkins for players and/or picks and with him underperforming this season his trade value is lower than ever.

Back to your question: If the Bengals do not return to playoff form I fear something even worse which is the loss of Joe Burrow after his rookie contract is over. Here’s the unfortunate truth: Joe is putting up excellent numbers on a horrible team and to any sports agent that’s just a resume enhancer when seeking a better team situation for their client.
Reply/Quote
Geno is under contract in 2022. If you guys want to win in 2022 then we need to keep Geno. Creating a new hole just sets the team backwards in re-building.

Of course this is assuming Geno can return to last years Pro Bowl form. Right now that is a big question. But last year at this time a lot of fns were saying that Dunlap was washed up, but over the second half of the season he played as good as any DE in the league.

The people who think we can just fill all of the holes with middle round draft picks and cheap free agents don't know how it works. Most 3rd round picks are not good NFL players, and the numbers go down the farther down in the draft. And cheap free agents that are good starters are pretty rare also.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 11:49 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: You have the names reversed. Green is the guy you let walk as that is a position where we have guys that are already stepping up. Why pay him big $ when there are needs in so many other places and there are already good, young WRs on the roster?
D line stinks so let’s see what Geno can do when healthy. I also think there are tons of really good WRs in the league but not too many good (he used to be great) DTs.

If AJ truly wants to remain next season, he’ll take a team friendly deal.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2020, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Geno is under contract in 2022. If you guys want to win in 2022 then we need to keep Geno. Creating a new hole just sets the team backwards in re-building.

Of course this is assuming Geno can return to last years Pro Bowl form. Right now that is a big question. But last year at this time a lot of fns were saying that Dunlap was washed up, but over the second half of the season he played as good as any DE in the league.

The people who think we can just fill all of the holes with middle round draft picks and cheap free agents don't know how it works. Most 3rd round picks are not good NFL players, and the numbers go down the farther down in the draft. And cheap free agents that are good starters are pretty rare also.

(F)red herring alert!

People? Plural? As in more than one person?

Literally, not one person believes that. People believe if you get something in return for an aging player near the end of their career instead of nothing you can use those extra picks to address team needs which frees other picks for other needs.

Or if you have 10 draft picks instead of 7 draft picks you can address more needs. You can also build a younger team for the future.

Lastly, you complain about 3rd round and later picks not being good. We know that, Fred. We also know Geno was a 4th round pick. So was Rudi Johnson. And Carl Lawson. And Marvin Jones was a 6th round pick. Not to mention the Bengals big FA acquisition was a former 5th round draft pick. Sam Hubbard was a 3rd round pick
Reply/Quote
Why are we expecting Geno Atkins to exceed expectations? he's on the other side of his career, he's injured, and he's underperformed the last couple years. We don't handle asset value very well, we don't make good trades, that's fine because most teams don't...but it also explains the position we've been in the last 30+ years. For instance, we won't get much for AJ at this point. It's hard to get trade prospects when he basically did nothing in 2 years and we had a new QB coming, maybe it wasn't predictable.

I don't always agree with cowherd, but if you're hovering in the middle you're not doing yourself any favors, either win the superbowl or be in last place to draft your changes.

Joe Burrow is our future, Geno Atkins and AJ are our past. We need to build for the future, we're not "close" to anything given last year's record and this year's.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2020, 07:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: (F)red herring alert!

People? Plural? As in more than one person?

Literally, not one person believes that. People believe if you get something in return for an aging player near the end of their career instead of nothing you can use those extra picks to address team needs which frees other picks for other needs.

Or if you have 10 draft picks instead of 7 draft picks you can address more needs. You can also build a younger team for the future.

Lastly, you complain about 3rd round and later picks not being good. We know that, Fred. We also know Geno was a 4th round pick. So was Rudi Johnson. And Carl Lawson. And Marvin Jones was a 6th round pick. Not to mention the Bengals big FA acquisition was a former 5th round draft pick. Sam Hubbard was a 3rd round pick

Exactly
Reply/Quote