Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno Atkins and AJ Green HOF chances?
Geno currently ranks "only" 157th all-time in sacks with 52.0, but 99% of the players ahead of him were either 4-3 DE's or 3-4 rush LBs. He's already received 5 pro bowl nods and is a 2 time first team All-Pro. His resume is already among the greatest DT's of all-time, and he's only 29, so he has a few years to pad it. Fwiw, if Geno can notch only 20 more sacks for his career, he'd finish right around 80th all-time in sacks, with only a tiny handful of DTs having more.

AJ Green is actually further off than I thought. He's currently sitting at 481 catches, 7135 yards and 49 TDs. He'd likely needs to double up those numbers to get serious HOF consideration, and at 29 years old, I'd say that's possible but unlikely. He needs 271 catches and 3649 yards and 18 TDs to surpass Chad's franchise records, which he should be able to pull off. He does have 6 Pro Bowl nods already.

So do you guys think either has a realistic shot at the Hall? I would also mention Whit, but like Big Willie, he just didn't get the recognition he needed and deserved.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 01:12 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Geno currently ranks "only" 157th all-time in sacks with 52.0, but 99% of the players ahead of him were either 4-3 DE's or 3-4 rush LBs. He's already received 5 pro bowl nods and is a 2 time first team All-Pro. His resume is already among the greatest DT's of all-time, and he's only 29, so he has a few years to pad it. Fwiw, if Geno can notch only 20 more sacks for his career, he'd finish right around 80th all-time in sacks, with only a tiny handful of DTs having more.

AJ Green is actually further off than I thought. He's currently sitting at 481 catches, 7135 yards and 49 TDs. He'd likely needs to double up those numbers to get serious HOF consideration, and at 29 years old, I'd say that's possible but unlikely. He needs 271 catches and 3649 yards and 18 TDs to surpass Chad's franchise records, which he should be able to pull off. He does have 6 Pro Bowl nods already.

So do you guys think either has a realistic shot at the Hall? I would also mention Whit, but like Big Willie, he just didn't get the recognition he needed and deserved.

I like how you put that geno is "only" 29, but when it comes to aj you act like 29 is old.

Hof= popularity contest. I think Aj def gets in the hall if he keeps doing what hes doing. Hes a very popular player around the league and will have #s to back it up.

Geno is a top 3 DT of his generation, but isn't popular among the public. Id say he barely misses the hall.
Reply/Quote
I would love to see more Bengals in the HoF but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen if we don't win something meaningful. I mean, for crying out loud Kenny Anderson and Ken Riley should BOTH be in yet are not! Is there any other team as barren of HoFers as our Bengals? I'm with others in the thought that its all a popularity contest and unless we burst upon the scene with a SB win or two..I just don't see ANY Bengals players making the HoF as a Cincinnati Bengal regardless of the numbers they put up.

The sad reality of playing in a small market for a team that can't win a SB (the 80's) and can't win a playoff game (recent times). Whatever
Reply/Quote
I think AJ needs at least THREE solid, healthy seasons...and then he will be a full HoF contender. He has too many partial seasons, and its killing his statistics.

Last year I think he was on pace to have his best season, before getting healthy. He already had 100 targets in 10 games and 66 catches...If he can have a Larry Fitzgerald length career, he'll be fine.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
As long as these 2 can stay healthy until age 34 or 35, I think that they will both have the numbers and the pro bowls.
Reply/Quote
Unless they win a title then no. I think both would get in if it was just based on watching them play but the media is way to bias.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
There has to be post season success to be honest. That's a hard pill to swallow, but it's true.

Green and Atkins have HOF talent for sure. Green can rank in the top 20 in receiving yards if he has 6 more similar years as he already has. Which is possible.

Atkins has a chance to also move up the boards quickly. Sacks are viewed pretty highly when it comes to defensive line players. A defensive tackle that has 52 sacks is actually pretty good as is. There's already only a handful above him at DT.

But, again, it will come down to post season success. That's the hard truth
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
It's simple. All the Bengals have to do is win the super bowl every year from now till both are retired and dead from old age.
You guys just don't see how easy it is for Bengals players to get in the HOF. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd say AJ has a little better chance than Geno just because like you say AJ does get some national love.

But like others have said it's most likely going to take a couple deep playoff runs and a ring.
Reply/Quote
They have to at least get to the super bowl and probably win

This is why  Anderson and Reilly are not in Hall of Fame.

NFL is all about TV ratings, big markets and post season success.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 01:41 AM)Gohards Wrote: I like how you put that geno is "only" 29, but when it comes to aj you act like 29 is old.

Hof= popularity contest. I think Aj def gets in the hall if he keeps doing what hes doing. Hes a very popular player around the league and will have #s to back it up.

Geno is a top 3 DT of his generation, but isn't popular among the public. Id say he barely misses the hall.

I knew someone would say that. Geno is "only" 29 because his HOF credentials are already close. AJ Green being 29 is a problem because he has a long way to go. I thought I made that pretty clear. The popularity contest thing is why I think Geno possibly won't get it. If so, he will go down as one of the greatest players snubbed from the HOF. He's already probably the best player in the league that no one talks about. I know he gets Pro Bowl nods, but that's only thanks to fans checking the box for the player with the most sacks.

(05-16-2017, 02:06 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I think AJ needs at least THREE solid, healthy seasons...and then he will be a full HoF contender. He has too many partial seasons, and its killing his statistics.

Last year I think he was on pace to have his best season, before getting healthy. He already had 100 targets in 10 games and 66 catches...If he can have a Larry Fitzgerald length career, he'll be fine.

He was killing it last year, but part of the reason for the huge numbers was Eifert being out. Eifert is now healthy (knock on wood), plus we drafted more receivers. AJ's best season was 2013, when he set career highs in all 3 categories, going for 98-1426-11. Assuming he's healthy (which is tough to assume with him) and he were able to match his career highs for 3 straight years, that would bump him up to 775 catches, 11,413 yards and 82 TDs.

Those numbers are nearly identical to Chad's career numbers. AJ would be 32 at that point, at the age where receivers usually drop off a cliff at any moment. This not only shows how hard it is for a receiver to rack up enough yards for the HOF, it also shows how great Chad's career was that AJ would still need 3 career years to catch up to him.

Quote:Circleville Guy

As long as these 2 can stay healthy until s career totals. age 34 or 35, I think that they will both have the numbers and the pro bowls.

I think Geno is getting close and just needs to stay productive for 2-3 years to get consideration, if the HOF were being fair. I think AJ Green is a long shot, only because it's tough for receivers to make it. They need around 14000 yards and sometimes still have to wait.

DT's that play like Geno are far more rare than receivers that produce like AJ Green. As amazing as I think AJ is. If they have the longevity to play til they're 34-35, it would help their chances immensely.

(05-16-2017, 02:40 AM)J24 Wrote: Unless they win a title then no. I think both would get in if it was just based on watching them play but the media is way to bias.

Unfortunately I think you may be right. It seems like players have 1 strike against them just for being a Bengal. The fact that Ken Riley is 5th all-time in INT's and is the only player in the top 10 that's not in the HOF is amazingly ridiculous and inexcusable. Darren Sharper isn't in the HOF but I counted him because if not for the rape, he definitely was in. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Like you say Shake,

Being a Bengal = strike 1

No Ring = strike 2

Zero playoff success = you're out

If we assume (and hopefully) both have 3 or 4 more very productive seasons they'll be in the hunt statistically. But realistically they have to have a couple deep playoff runs for any consideration. And to have a real chance they need a ring, because they're Bengals.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green will be in the HoF without a doubt if his health keeps up and he continues at the same pace.

Geno probably should be but because he wasn't a high profile draft pick I wonder if his name will get shoved to the side. The HoF feels more like a popularity contest rather than based off merit at times.

Both could solidify their chances with some playoff wins and a ring.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 01:41 AM)Gohards Wrote: I like how you put that geno is "only" 29, but when it comes to aj you act like 29 is old.

I agree, the HOF just like the pro-bowl and all-pro selections are all about popularity. Geno is one of the best DT's of this generation and the only player in the NFL that can challenge him as the best is Aaron Donald. Green is also another guy who is among the best at his position. If Green had Brees, or Rodgers, or Turdburgler throwing to him he'd for sure already have a 2000 yard season and it's not a bash on Dalton as he's done damn well with Green, but I have a feeling unless we win a SB neither will get the respect they deserve to go into the HOF.
Reply/Quote
I think for Geno to get in it will require him to get close to Warren Sapp's 96.5 sacks.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:40 AM)J24 Wrote: Unless they win a title then no. I think both would get in if it was just based on watching them play but the media is way to bias.

This ^ 

If they continue doing what they're doing for several more years they "should" be in, but won't be unless they win a SB. Bengals won't get another HOFer until they win the big one. And like others have said, Geno's resume may be more deserving but AJ has a better shot imo because he's actually fairly popular among non Bengals fans and media
Reply/Quote
AJ Green needs to exceed 10,000 receiving yards to even be considered. It'd be better if he can pass Chad's 11,059 yard mark. Icing on the cake would be for him to be playing when the Bengals win a playoff game.
Given his age, he needs to achieve that by the end of his contract after the 2019 season, as he'd be 32 by that point.
If AJ can pass 10,000 yards by the end of his contract, I think the Bengals give him another 2-year contract to finish out his career and have a better shot at making the HOF.

I'll add too that if people discredit Dalton's accomplishments because he has AJ Green, those same critics should praise Green's accomplishments given he's had Dalton throwing to him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 11:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Like you say Shake,

Being a Bengal = strike 1

No Ring = strike 2

Zero playoff success = you're out

If we assume (and hopefully) both have 3 or 4 more very productive seasons they'll be in the hunt statistically. But realistically they have to have a couple deep playoff runs for any consideration. And to have a real chance they need a ring, because they're Bengals.

There's plenty of HOF'ers that don't have rings or much playoff success. That said, being Bengals, they probably need those things and then some.

(05-16-2017, 11:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think for Geno to get in it will require him to get close to Warren Sapp's 96.5 sacks.

There's only 3 DTs in history that are even close to that number. Plus Sapp extended his career some by moving to DE. 

I've always thought HOF consideration should come down to how dominant the player was in their prime, and Geno has been without question a top 2 DT over his career. Probably the best IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 12:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's only 3 DTs in history that are even close to that number. Plus Sapp extended his career some by moving to DE. 

I've always thought HOF consideration should come down to how dominant the player was in their prime, and Geno has been without question a top 2 DT over his career. Probably the best IMO.

I understand that, but when you look at "modern era" DT's  that is basically where he needs to be to be in HoF company. DT's in what many consider the modern era just aren't getting in as much.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: I understand that, but when you look at "modern era" DT's  that is basically where he needs to be to be in HoF company. DT's in what many consider the modern era just aren't getting in as much.

You're probably right, unfortunately. I just wish Geno (and maybe AJ Green) would get what they deserve. 
Reply/Quote