Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno Atkins on trading block?
(03-09-2021, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With MIA trading for Isaiah Wilson, it gives more indication they are leaning toward taking pass catcher at 3.
Chase is considered by most as the best WR in the draft, so it could be likely that Chase is taken at 3.
If NYJ doesn't take a QB or trade back, they likely take Sewell or pass catcher.
So if both Sewell and Chase are gone, who do you take? 
Trade back. Even if Atlanta takes a QB, that would leave two of Fields/Wilson/Lance available.  Let the QB hungry teams fight it out.

This has worked out well for me in PFF mock drafts.  :-)
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:14 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Trade back. Even if Atlanta takes a QB, that would leave two of Fields/Wilson/Lance available.  Let the QB hungry teams fight it out.

I am completely on board with trading back, but you cannot guarantee a trade will occur. The Bengals may ask for more compensation than other teams are willing to give.

So if we assume a trade back does not happen and both Sewell and Chase are gone, who do you take at 5?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:14 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Trade back. Even if Atlanta takes a QB, that would leave two of Fields/Wilson/Lance available.  Let the QB hungry teams fight it out.

We are In a terrible position to trade back.  We are sandwiched in between two teams that are $15 mil and $25 mil over the cap and will have to cut a bunch of players just to get under the cap.  They will be desperate to trade back for picks just to fill out their depth charts.  On top of that, everyone knows we aren't going QB.  The Eagles have said they aren't going QB.  Detroit just traded for Goff, so they aren't going QB.  If we even get any offers, Atlanta and Philly are going to drive the asking price down.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am completely on board with trading back, but you cannot guarantee a trade will occur. The Bengals may ask for more compensation than other teams are willing to give.

So if we assume a trade back does not happen and both Sewell and Chase are gone, who do you take at 5?

I would be perfectly happy with Pitts in that scenario.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: We are In a terrible position to trade back.  We are sandwiched in between two teams that are $15 mil and $25 mil over the cap and will have to cut a bunch of players just to get under the cap.  They will be desperate to trade back for picks just to fill out their depth charts.  On top of that, everyone knows we aren't going QB.  The Eagles have said they aren't going QB.  Detroit just traded for Goff, so they aren't going QB.  If we even get any offers, Atlanta and Philly are going to drive the asking price down.  

Good points all around. According to some here trading back is just automatically the best case scenario. And that’s obviously not always true.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: We are In a terrible position to trade back.  We are sandwiched in between two teams that are $15 mil and $25 mil over the cap and will have to cut a bunch of players just to get under the cap.  They will be desperate to trade back for picks just to fill out their depth charts.  On top of that, everyone knows we aren't going QB.  The Eagles have said they aren't going QB.  Detroit just traded for Goff, so they aren't going QB.  If we even get any offers, Atlanta and Philly are going to drive the asking price down.  

But, but...it works so well in the simulators!  I traded with Denver, got Slater, plus their next two first rounders.

I still think that someone would be in love with one of those QB's and make us a viable offer.  

If we have to pick at 5 with Chase and Sewell off the board, I'd lean toward one of the Alabama receivers and hope for a starting tackle in the second.  We couldn't be unlucky twice, could we?
Reply/Quote
If we convince any team to give anything up for Atkins, that would be a huge feather in the FO's cap.
Reply/Quote
Well if they can get something for Geno, that would be better than just cutting him but we cannot wait around it is about a
week away from FA and we need dough for OL and DL. I would cut Geno and bring in Sheldon Rankins or another 3-tech
that is younger with upside rather than waiting on some possible trade.

Same way we have to look at the Zeit situation. No reason to trade for him when we can most likely just wait until the
Giants cut him and bring him back for around 6 mil a year for a couple seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With MIA trading for Isaiah Wilson, it gives more indication they are leaning toward taking pass catcher at 3.
Chase is considered by most as the best WR in the draft, so it could be likely that Chase is taken at 3.
If NYJ doesn't take a QB or trade back, they likely take Sewell or pass catcher.
So if both Sewell and Chase are gone, who do you take? 

Pitts

But some folks are thinking the Dolphins will take Smith to hook him back up with Tua, who knows ?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pitts

But some folks are thinking the Dolphins will take Smith to hook him back up with Tua, who knows ?

Yeah, if both Sewell and Chase are gone, I take Pitts or trade back and get one of the other OT's or hopefully Pitts falls to us.

Adding another pick is the best way to go IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am completely on board with trading back, but you cannot guarantee a trade will occur. The Bengals may ask for more compensation than other teams are willing to give.

Farley 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So if we assume a trade back does not happen and both Sewell and Chase are gone, who do you take at 5?

If Sewell and Chase are gone, that pretty much means Smith and Pitts are there. No lose situation. I'm against trading back.  These are 4 future franchise players. My wish list in order  1) Sewell 2) Chase 3) Pitts 4) Smith.
Reply/Quote

How do you figure we are in a terrible spot when all the actual experts say we are in a great spot?? Makes no sense...

Lawrence is going first, this is a given.

Jets - Sewell, Chase, QB all on the table

Miami - Sewell, Chase, Smith all on the table

Atlanta - Needs to consider a QB to replace the aging Matt Ryan also linked to Pitts and Parsons.

If Justin Fields falls to 5, there will be teams that need a QB that want to move up and get one. Doesn't matter that Philly doesn't need one and they know we don't need one as there will be multiple teams competing with each other to get on the board as soon as they can to get their QB.

If happens literally all the time. Jets moved to 3 to get Darnold, when Indy didn't need a QB and the next pick was Cleveland who had Baker.

Buffalo moved up to 7 to take Josh Allen trading with the Bucs and jumping in front of Chicago who had just taken Trubisky the year before.

Speaking of Trubisky, the Bears moved up 1 spot, flipping with the 49ers to go from 3 to 2 so that San Fran wouldn't trade with anyone else and Chicago could take the guy they wanted.

I want to see Chase and Pitts both off the board by 5. This means we either do the smart thing and take Sewell or do the other smart thing and trade back since there would still be 2 of the top QBs sitting on the board. This makes teams like Carolina, San Fran, New England, and Washington all wanting to get up there first to take their guy.

Also, Detroit literally has had it written about them that they are not satisfied with Goff.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2021/03/10/lions-goff-2021-qb-market/

He is being viewed as a short term solution, so saying Detroit is not going QB is just flat out wrong.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Teams will look at age (33), production (1 tackle), injuries and price. Add those up and a trade ain't happenin'. This is essentially the same situation as the Pistons and Blake Griffin...which led to a contract buyout.

A big pay cut is the only way we should keep him, and I'm a big Geno fan. You just have to be objective here. The odds of him fully rebounding aren't great, and you have to do what's best for the team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 04:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Teams will look at age (33), production (1 tackle), injuries and price. Add those up and a trade ain't happenin'. This is essentially  the same situation as the Pistons and Blake Griffin...which led to a contract buyout.

A big pay cut is the only way we should keep him, and I'm a big Geno fan. You just have to be objective here. The odds of him fully rebounding aren't great, and you have to do what's best for the team.

Yep, same here.  I've already decided to remember him as he was, rather than the caricature that they forced out there last season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I didn't want them to do it at the time... But wow should we have traded Geno and Dunlap at the trade deadline 1.5 years ago. Could have gotten great value. Hindsight is 20 20 I guess.
Reply/Quote
I think they are doing Geno dirty if they plan on releasing him now that the money is drying up. Why can't they get the treatment of our vets right during their final days as Bengals? They should have cut him if they weren't planning on keeping him. Cutting him after everyone adds key pieces to their roster is the wrong approach to a solid Bengal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Well maybe they aren't cutting him.....
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: I would be perfectly happy with Pitts in that scenario.

Pitts would be an extreme luxury and would love that pick. BUT I think people are slighting Rashawn Slater. There are several scouts that have Slater ranked ahead of Sewell believe it or not, so if Sewel isn't there why not take Slater?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think they are doing Geno dirty if they plan on releasing him now that the money is drying up. Why can't they get the treatment of our vets right during their final days as Bengals? They should have cut him if they weren't planning on keeping him. Cutting him after everyone adds key pieces to their roster is the wrong approach to a solid Bengal.

Bengals don't like to move on from a player until they bring in their replacement.
So either they haven't found his replacement yet or are planning to keep him (at least) another season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote