Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno Atkins to IR
The Bengals finally do something they should have done months ago...they placed Geno on IR after he spent the season battling a shoulder injury.

I would anticipate news of his surgery to come next

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Shining example of FO/Coaching staff ineptitude.
Reply/Quote
Still waiting to hear WTF is wrong with Mixon too.

This FO is a joke.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
He shouldn’t have played a snap this season if his shoulder was that bad.

What’s his cap hit if they cut him, or cap savings?
Reply/Quote
LMAO this team I swear.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
So he essentially wasted a roster spot for majority of the season. Awesome job!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:32 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Still waiting to hear WTF is wrong with Mixon too.

This FO is a joke.

He injured his foot so most likely he has 

1) turf toe
2) fracture
3) planter fasciitis
4) shoes don'r fit

Does it really matter at this point? 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I wonder if he was playing because Tupou opted out, and there has been constant injuries at DT. Now that Bledsoe is back, they finally pulled him. If he gutted it out because of something like that, you gotta give the man some props.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: I wonder if he was playing because Tupou opted out, and there has been constant injuries at DT. Now that Bledsoe is back, they finally pulled him. If he gutted it out because of something like that, you gotta give the man some props.

I agree 100% Wyche on admiring Geno for the effort. 

But I still think it speaks volumes on the ineptness of this coaching staff. He's been a shell of himself all season, why waste a roster spot on a player that can't contribute ? Why did we waste a roster spot on Ryan Finley ? Why have we wasted a roster spot on two kickers all season ?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree 100% Wyche on admiring Geno for the effort. 

But I still think it speaks volumes on the ineptness of this coaching staff. He's been a shell of himself all season, why waste a roster spot on a player that can't contribute ? Why did we waste a roster spot on Ryan Finley ? Why have we wasted a roster spot on two kickers all season ?

The only defense I can think of is that COVID made acquisitions more difficult and so they tried to avoid as much roster change when possible.

Buuuuut they brought in plenty of guys during the season... so I don’t think it’s a viable excuse.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree 100% Wyche on admiring Geno for the effort. 

If  he was playing injured its one thing and it should have been properly dealt with early in season...
this makes me feel a little bad about some comments.....however I still feel its time to move on  to younger more athletic and dynamic 
Dline. I'm envious everytime I watch the Wash Football team D line play.....wow. 
Reply/Quote

I think the kicker deal was due to Covid....but don't quote me on that. I dunno about the other two....I also don't know how the money would work out if you IRd Atkins, then had to bring in someone to replace him. We've had Reader out almost all year, Glassgow never came back from his injury, Tupou out all year, Daniels missed a big chunk, Bledsoe.... I'm not sure we had enough bodies at any given time with cash to spare in order to put Geno on IR. Thinley should've just been cut. Allen came off the practice squad and outplayed him by miles.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:56 PM)kalibengal Wrote: If  he was playing injured its one thing and it should have been properly dealt with early in season...
this makes me feel a little bad about some comments.....however I still feel its time to move on  to younger more athletic and dynamic 
Dline. I'm envious everytime I watch the Wash Football team D line play.....wow. 

Lotta folks on here wanted Sweat when he came out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Lotta folks on here wanted Sweat when he came out.

I was really big on Jeffery Simmons and Montez Sweat coming out of Mississippi State. 

Sweat is long and explosive he gets up field fast and those long arms create great separation whe  shedding. Even though Jonah William's is playing well I'm still on the fence that they shouldnt have taken Sweat instead...lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: I wonder if he was playing because Tupou opted out, and there has been constant injuries at DT. Now that Bledsoe is back, they finally pulled him. If he gutted it out because of something like that, you gotta give the man some props.

That, or maybe Geno did not want to go to IR due to incentives, and wanted to reach a minimum game number. I can't find anything anywhere that talks about if a player who is still capable of playing can be forced to go on IR. I'm willing to bet the players union and their contracts have stipulations. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:33 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: What’s his cap hit if they cut him, or cap savings?

We save 9.6 million.

Fwiw, here's something that I think people don't realize when they look at dead cap on sites like Spotrac:

They'll see he carries 9.6 mil in dead cap in 2021, and 2.6 in 2022, and they assume we;ll be hit with both amounts if we cut bait now.  That's not true.  Those figues represent the amount if the player is cut that specific year.

The reason his dead cap is higher in 2021 is because we'd be taking on both years, and all of the dead cap in a single year.

So, if we cut bait now, it means we're free clear after 2021.  9.6 mil freed up in 2021, and 16.05 mil in 2022.  It would essentially cost us an addition 2.6 million dollars in dead cap to part ways in 2021 vs. 2022.

I probably just made this way more confusing that I needed to, but hopefully it somewhat makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
Dude never got a chance to play this season it's unfortunate that this is how his career in Cincy ends. Can't wait to see him sign somewhere else and tear it up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 01:30 PM)J24 Wrote: Dude never got a chance to play this season it's unfortunate that this is how his career in Cincy ends. Can't wait to see him sign somewhere else and tear it up.

Real Bengals fan right there......
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 01:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Real Bengals fan right there......

Lol I'm not allowed to root for guys once they leave? 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, cutting Geno after the season would pretty much pay for a Joe Thurney over the next two seasons.

We'd free up roughly 12.3 mil dollars in average cap space over 2021 and 2022. It's the biggest no brainer of no brainers. NO ONE pays Geno Atkins that much, ESPECIALLY when they owe DJ Reader 14.5 mil per over the next 3 seasons.

If this dude is back next season then there is something severely wrong with this organization.
Reply/Quote