Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno.....
(05-15-2018, 03:35 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Geno will need a few more productive years to even be even considered for HOF. Add in the anti-Bengals bias, and that still might not be enough for him to get to Canton. Put him in Pittsburgh or New York and he in on the first ballot.

He’s going regardless. He’s on pace to put up better tackles and sacks than Warren Sapp.
Reply/Quote
Geno lost his national respect once Aaron Donald came along. And that's crazy given that Donald can thank Geno for even going as high as he did. Geno broke the barrier and now the league has swept him under the rug. Donald is overrated. Bodine handled him pretty easily, and that should tell you all you need to know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 04:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He’s going regardless. He’s on pace to put up better tackles and sacks than Warren Sapp.

needs him one of them RINGS......  
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 05:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: needs him one of them RINGS......  

A fair comparison might be John Randle.  After 8 seasons Randle had 85.5 sacks and 176 combined tackles, Geno is currently sitting at 61 sacks and 290 combined tackles.

Geno may have taken a step back, after the knee injury.  However, if he remains healthy and plays as long as Randle did, his name would deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 04:19 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Vontaz and AJ have never been better than Geno. He is by far our best player and it is not even debatable.

Disagree that’s “it’s not even debatable.” Burfict is probably out because he’s just not on the field enough, but you can absolutely make a case AJ Green is the best player on the team.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A fair comparison might be John Randle.  After 8 seasons Randle had 85.5 sacks and 176 combined tackles, Geno is currently sitting at 61 sacks and 290 combined tackles.

Geno may have taken a step back, after the knee injury.  However, if he remains healthy and plays as long as Randle did, his name would deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

If the Bengals were shrewd they would’ve snatched a good DT to pair with Geno in the past few drafts. The guys at DT opposite Atkins have been underwhelming at best. Randle, for several years, was paired with Henry Thomas. The Bengals have never had a DT of Thomas’ caliber lining up next to Geno. The Bengals team building strategy under Mike and Marvin always seems to be to seek decent units at all positions, but never turning merely decent into dominating. After 15 years, the closest the Bengals have had to a dominating position unit was the O lines of Big Willie, Steinbach, Braham, Bobbie Williams, and Levi Jones, or possibly the WR trio of Chad, T.J., and Henry when eligible. That’s pretty much it. Never a dominant D line, never a dominant LB crew, never a dominant secondary, dominant running backs, etc.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 09:09 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: If the Bengals were shrewd they would’ve snatched a good DT to pair with Geno in the past few drafts.  The guys at DT opposite Atkins have been underwhelming at best. Randle, for several years, was paired with Henry Thomas.  The Bengals have never had a DT of Thomas’ caliber lining up next to Geno. The Bengals team building strategy under Mike and Marvin always seems to be to seek decent units at all positions, but never turning merely decent into dominating.  After 15 years, the closest the Bengals have had to a dominating position unit was the O lines of Big Willie, Steinbach, Braham, Bobbie Williams, and Levi Jones, or possibly the WR trio of Chad, T.J., and Henry when eligible.   That’s pretty much it.  Never a dominant D line, never a dominant LB crew, never a dominant secondary, dominant running backs, etc.

Beg your pardon?  The Dlines of '12 through '15 were pretty much stellar.

Edit: In fact they were so good, the Beastie Boys wrote a song predicting their arrival, 14 years in advance. I think they called it Intergalactic.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Something you can never really predict is young guys coming up from the college ranks and whether one or more will come along while any older players are still at it and knock them back a peg or two or if the older players are so great in their time nobody ever catches them.. 
By no means is this a knock on Geno, but it's tough to predict an up and comer.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 08:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Disagree that’s “it’s not even debatable.” Burfict is probably out because he’s just not on the field enough, but you can absolutely make a case AJ Green is the best player on the team.

Nope Geno is easily the 2nd best DT in the NFL while AJ is the 3rd best to 5th best WR in the game. Either way it doesn't matter because if we lose either we suck.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A fair comparison might be John Randle.  After 8 seasons Randle had 85.5 sacks and 176 combined tackles, Geno is currently sitting at 61 sacks and 290 combined tackles.

Think about this Tim Krumrie played 12 seasons, 10 as a starter....not nearly the sacks at 34.5 but had 1008 tackles...THINK about that 1008 tackles...Had one year of 152 tackles and another year of 113...as a NT...  Not even mentioned as a HOFer
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 10:49 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Nope Geno is easily the 2nd best DT in the NFL while AJ is the 3rd best to 5th best WR in the game. Either way it doesn't matter because if we lose either we suck.

That is a silly comparison...AJ Green until his injury 2 seasons ago was set to be the first WR to start his career off with 6 consecutive 1000 yard seasons in NFL History.   I love Geno but he has never done anything that is close to an NFL all time record...If he has then I am not sure what it is.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 03:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree with what you are saying here.....there might be two better players on his own team (Burfict and AJ Green, but AJ has slipped and Burfict is unreliable) 

Also, DTs just aren't sexy in terms of any player rankings.  The 9th best QB is probably on the list, but only one other DT? I don't know that to be true, but there aren't many. 

I have to disagree with you on this one. You can easily make the argument that Geno is the best DT in the NFL, and he's certainly top 2. He's also the only one on the team making a very good HOF case. 

You really can't say the same about AJ Green. He's certainly fallen behind Julio Jones, Antonio Brown and perhaps a few others. The magic number for WR's to get in the HOF seems to be 14,000 yards. AJ Green would need to play 5 more seasons at his current pace to (barely) hit that number. He's 30, so that doesn't seem likely. 

Burfict's presence lifts this team, but he doesn't really put up amazing stats. 

Really, I think we've grown a bit spoiled with Geno and are starting to take him for granted a bit. When he's not on that line, it's going to be a massive irreplaceable hole. They don't make many like Geno. There's only a small handful even remotely like him in the NFL. I think Green and Burfict would be easier to at least get similar production.

Just for example, we've almost always had 1100+ yard WR's in Cincy. We've had some good backers like Takeo, Simmons and (from a leadership standpoint) Dhani Jones. We've never had a DT like Geno.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Tbh, though...these top 100 lists are worthless. May as well pull names out of a hat.

Didn't they put Tebow on the list one year?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what to make of this but I'm glad he's recognized. Players like him and AJ Green are elite players....whether he's ranked in the 60s or 50s everyone around the league know what they bring to the table.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 11:19 PM)spazz70 Wrote: That is a silly comparison...AJ Green until his injury 2 seasons ago was set to be the first WR to start his career off with 6 consecutive 1000 yard seasons in NFL History.   I love Geno but he has never done anything that is close to an NFL all time record...If he has then I am not sure what it is.

Look at the all-time sack leaders and count how many DT's are ahead of Geno. It's really not many. Maybe 5 pure DT's.

AJ Green is currently 87th in receiving yards, and 82nd among WR's.

What Geno is doing - at his position - is far more special than what AJ has done at his.

This is not to insult AJ Green. He's possibly the best WR we've ever had.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 09:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Beg your pardon?  The Dlines of '12 through '15 were pretty much stellar.

Edit: In fact they were so good, the Beastie Boys wrote a song predicting their arrival, 14 years in advance. I think they called it Intergalactic.

They were good, but not dominant. Michael Johnson was not and never has been a pass rusher. Good run stopper? Yes. The other DT spot (Peko) was serviceable, but was never confused with an upper crust DT. Those lines had what they have today: Geno, Dunlap, and a couple of decent guys with a decent backup or two. Look what the Seahags had when they won a Super Bowl, what Philly had last year, what Jacksonville has, and what Denver is fixing to have. Dominant pass rushing D lines (well OLB’s if Denver is in a 3-4). Even in those years you mentioned, the Bengals weren’t generating pressure all the time, nor could they stop the run in the Playoffs. Those units were good, but not dominant.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 04:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He’s going regardless. He’s on pace to put up better tackles and sacks than Warren Sapp.

To make a statement like that shows you don't know your Bengals history. Guess who's NOT in the HoF???? Sorry, but I've said it time and again, the league office is against the Bengals going all the way back to Paul Brown, and Mike has not helped by oftentimes voting against the other owners. It is what it is. All the Bengals greats.... Riley, Anderson, Krumrie, Montoya, Curtis... the list goes on, and the only one to get in is Munoz? To say ANY player on the Bengals is a lock to go in is ridiculous. Do they deserve it, hell yes. Will it happen.... ask Kenny.
Quote:At the time of Anderson's retirement following the 1986 season, he held NFL records for consecutive pass completions (20), completion percentage for a single game (20 of 22, 90.9%, vs. Pittsburgh in 1974) and completion percentage for a season (70.6% in 1982), as well as the Super Bowl records for completion percentage (73.5%) (since broken by Phil Simms) and completions (25; Tom Brady holds the current record with 37). While Anderson's record for regular season completion percentage happened in a strike-shortened 9-game season, the previous record he surpassed had been set by Sammy Baugh in a 10-game season (1945), in which Baugh threw 125 fewer passes then Anderson did in 1982. Furthermore, Anderson was ranked 6th all-time for passing yards in a career at the time of his retirement. Anderson's record for completion percentage in a season stood for 27 years after his retirement (broken by Drew Brees in 2009). As of 2005, he is among the top 30 all-time leaders in pass attempts (24th), completions (18th), passing yards (21st) and passing touchdowns (28th). He led the NFL in passing yards and completions twice, and lead the league in fewest interceptions per pass attempt 3 times. He ranks seventh in NFL history for postseason quarterback rating, 93.5.[2]

He has been nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame several times, and on two occasions was among the 15 finalists for enshrinement (1996 and 1998). In 2011, the Professional Football Researchers Association named Anderson to the PFRA Hall of Very Good Class of 2011 [3]
In 2008, NFL Network selected Anderson as No. 10 on their list of top 10 players who had not been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[4]
As of 2017[update]'s NFL off-season, Ken Anderson held at least 31 Bengals franchise records, including:
  • Completions: career (2,654), game (40 on 1982-12-20 @SDG), playoffs (110), playoff season (53 in 1981)
  • Pass Attempts: career (4,475), playoffs (166), playoff season (77 in 1981)
  • Passing Yards: career (32,838), playoffs (1,321), playoff season (653 in 1981), playoff game (354 on 1983-01-09 NYJ)
  • Passing TDs: career (197), playoffs (9), playoff season (5 in 1981), playoff game (2 on 1983-01-09 NYJ; with Boomer Esiason)
  • Intercepted: career (160), season (22 in 1978; with Boomer Esiason, Jon Kitna), playoffs (6), playoff season (3 in 1982; with Boomer Esiason, Andy Dalton), playoff game (3 on 1983-01-09 NYJ, with Andy Dalton)
  • Passer Rating: playoffs (93.5)
  • Sacked: career (398), season (46 in 1979, with Andy Dalton), playoff game (5 on 1982-01-24 N SFO, with Boomer Esiason)
  • Yds/Pass Att: playoffs (7.96), playoff season (10.11 in 1982), playoff game (10.11 on 1983-01-09 NYJ)
  • Pass Yds/Game: season (277.2 in 1982), playoffs (220.2), playoff season (354 in 1982)
  • 300+ yard passing games: playoffs (2)
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: To make a statement like that shows you don't know your Bengals history. Guess who's NOT in the HoF???? Sorry, but I've said it time and again, the league office is against the Bengals going all the way back to Paul Brown, and Mike has not helped by oftentimes voting against the other owners. It is what it is. All the Bengals greats.... Riley, Anderson, Krumrie, Montoya, Curtis... the list goes on, and the only one to get in is Munoz? To say ANY player on the Bengals is a lock to go in is ridiculous. Do they deserve it, hell yes. Will it happen.... ask Kenny.

Big difference between QB's and lineman in the HOF. QB's are judged by Super Bowl wins, not really a requirement when talking about d-lineman. What gets you in as a d-lineman is sacks.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 03:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Going to say a lot of this lack of respect is due to the Bengals and not the player.

Exactly and the fact that Geno made it that high being a Bengal is remarkable considering.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He is still #1 in my heart !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote