Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Genuinely happy
I loved literally every pick in this draft, and I can't stop reading everything I can about these kids. Then it hit me...from the ugly product they've put on the field these last few years, to the lackluster drafts, to the disappointing (but totally expected) free agency periods, to the talent leaving, I've been nothing but let down for several seasons. As a fan that lived and watched through the 90s, even this was close to bringing me to an all time low.

But the last couple of months has me truly excited again. I can't wait to drive up for training camp (if we're able...Fu virus) and I keep wondering about which games we'll be able to make in person. This is going to be an exciting year. The first one in a while that I go into with hope and enthusiasm. I'm pumped up! I hope you guys are too!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 07:16 PM)wcu Wrote: I loved literally every pick in this draft, and I can't stop reading everything I can about these kids. Then it hit me...from the ugly product they've put on the field these last few years, to the lackluster drafts, to the disappointing (but totally expected) free agency periods, to the talent leaving, I've been nothing but let down for several seasons. As a fan that lived and watched through the 90s, even this was close to bringing me to an all time low.

But the last couple of months has me truly excited again. I can't wait to drive up for training camp (if we're able...Fu virus) and I keep wondering about which games we'll be able to make in person. This is going to be an exciting year. The first one in a while that I go into with hope and enthusiasm. I'm pumped up! I hope you guys are too!

Great post WCU. I am pumped big time! Burrow, Tee, Logan, ADG, Kareem, Adeniji, Bailey...

DAYUUUM!!! Pervert
Reply/Quote
I hope to god we have football. If it means no fans then that's fine. As long as it's on tv. Have the players where some kind of masks and be tested before games. If they have some kind of cold then they cant play.
Reply/Quote
Great post!
Reply/Quote
I think that it really was a great draft class, one that we'll look back on in 10 years and say "Wow, that was the year the Bengals changed their approach".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Excellent FA, excellent draft. Very impressed with the coaches right now. They didnt look good much last year, but they hit the offseason with a clear plan and they have pretty much nailed it. Such a gigantic difference from Marvin's offseason approach. Have to give the Brown's the hats off too, and Tobin, Blackburn. This is the best offseason I can remember in my entire fandom.

Is it a New Dey? It totally is!
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2 Agree with every one here. I've been seriously less than a true fan since that debacle in 2015. Just didn't care.

This FA period and Draft have me back in the saddle. I'm a paint my face fanatic again!!

The other point I wanted to make because everybody is so giddy about what's going on (and rightfully so). Let's not forget that some of last years coaches are gone as well. Hopefully, ZT did as well getting coaches as he did with players...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I’m happy with this draft too. I’d like to thank the coaching staff for their efforts with this class. You can tell they did their homework. Looking forward to watching these young men grow.
Reply/Quote

This gives me hope and chills..... Excited
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that it really was a great draft class, one that we'll look back on in 10 years and say "Wow, that was the year the Bengals changed their approach".

This.  I have referred to Free Agency as "owning up to when you whiff in the draft".  The Bengals never did this.  They would ride that horse (or mule) in to the ground despite horrible performance.  This led to a laziness on the entire roster.  No one felt the accountability in the organization.  Once you had a decent contract, you could relax.

Well, tell that to Dre Kirkpatrick.   They released him with zero compensation.  That was a HUGE paradigm shift in their M.O.

They filled holes from poor drafts and FA losses with FA this year, and then followed that up with nailing the draft.  

The focus will now fall almost entirely on one group:  The coaches.  They have the talent now and have had the staff in place for an entire year now.  It is time to show why you were hired.  
Reply/Quote
Really cool video but damn I had to turn the music down, cannot stand that shit.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:25 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  I have referred to Free Agency as "owning up to when you whiff in the draft".  The Bengals never did this.  They would ride that horse (or mule) in to the ground despite horrible performance.  This led to a laziness on the entire roster.  No one felt the accountability in the organization.  Once you had a decent contract, you could relax.

Well, tell that to Dre Kirkpatrick.   They released him with zero compensation.  That was a HUGE paradigm shift in their M.O.

They filled holes from poor drafts and FA losses with FA this year, and then followed that up with nailing the draft.  

The focus will now fall almost entirely on one group:  The coaches.  They have the talent now and have had the staff in place for an entire year now.  It is time to show why you were hired.  

Agree strongly with bolded.  That action by the team spoke just about as loudly as all the big moves in free agency, that we're not accustomed to seeing.  As for Dre, the player?  I expected much more from a 1st round CB, especially one that went by the nickname "swag".  I think that part of his problem was that he was drafted to a really good team, at that time, and he was just able to be "one of the guys" out there.  Then, after the 2015 crescendo and subsequent downfall, he just wasn't willing to "carry the water" and live up to his billing.

It seems pretty apparent to me that Lou and Zac must have had to go to the front office and say, "Look, we just can't get this guy to produce like he's capable of", and request permission to replace him.  The same philosophy sort of goes in reference to Dennard.  For a guy that Marvin once called "one of the best he's ever seen", he never fully lived up to his potential, either.  I mean I have nothing personal against either of them, they seem like decent character guys, but football is a business.  You can't keep a heavy investment in premium position players that just aren't delivering the required results.  Poor tackling and repetitive missed interception opportunities is just unacceptable from 1st round CBs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 06:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree strongly with bolded.  That action by the team spoke just about as loudly as all the big moves in free agency, that we're not accustomed to seeing.  As for Dre, the player?  I expected much more from a 1st round CB, especially one that went by the nickname "swag".  I think that part of his problem was that he was drafted to a really good team, at that time, and he was just able to be "one of the guys" out there.  Then, after the 2015 crescendo and subsequent downfall, he just wasn't willing to "carry the water" and live up to his billing.

It seems pretty apparent to me that Lou and Zac must have had to go to the front office and say, "Look, we just can't get this guy to produce like he's capable of", and request permission to replace him.  The same philosophy sort of goes in reference to Dennard.  For a guy that Marvin once called "one of the best he's ever seen", he never fully lived up to his potential, either.  I mean I have nothing personal against either of them, they seem like decent character guys, but football is a business.  You can't keep a heavy investment in premium position players that just aren't delivering the required results.  Poor tackling and repetitive missed interception opportunities is just unacceptable from 1st round CBs.

For players to even comment about how there is more accountability NOW tells you they sense a change, and for the positive from the team perspective.  
Reply/Quote
I am happy with the entire offseason so far. Even though the Bengals got these young offensive minded coaches they went out and really attacked and rebuilt the defense which needed the overhaul big time.

This is the AFC North teams play Defense in the AFC North.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really cool video but damn I had to turn the music down, cannot stand that shit.

Lol. You typed the words before I could. Really cool video edit, but damn I wanted to hammer spikes into my ears halfway through it. Terrible song
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 06:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree strongly with bolded.  That action by the team spoke just about as loudly as all the big moves in free agency, that we're not accustomed to seeing.  As for Dre, the player?  I expected much more from a 1st round CB, especially one that went by the nickname "swag".  I think that part of his problem was that he was drafted to a really good team, at that time, and he was just able to be "one of the guys" out there.  Then, after the 2015 crescendo and subsequent downfall, he just wasn't willing to "carry the water" and live up to his billing.

Nice post Sunset, just have to say in Defense of Dennard he played very good last year when healthy.

Dennard is a good player, but so is Mackenzie Alexander in the Slot who a lot of the Vikes fans said was their best CB.

(04-26-2020, 06:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: For players to even comment about how there is more accountability NOW tells you they sense a change, and for the positive from the team perspective.  

So true SHRacer, great point about how big a move it was by cutting Dre BTW.

Accountability and adjustments are what I have been seeing this season.

I am seeing great things ahead, these young coaches just had to get their feet wet and suck lol

Once you lose that is when you say I don't want to do that shit anymore.

Belichick had the very seem happen with him when he was with the Stains. Look how that turned out.

(04-26-2020, 06:40 PM)Synric Wrote: I am happy with the entire offseason so far. Even though the Bengals got these young offensive minded coaches they went out and really attacked and rebuilt the defense which needed the overhaul big time.

This is the AFC North teams play Defense in the AFC North.

Try and run on us, then we unleash Geno, Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, ADG, Bailey and Vonn Bell on the blitz...

Yeah, we are preparing for the Ravens clearly.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 09:16 PM)BleedOnB Wrote: Lol. You typed the words before I could. Really cool video edit, but damn I wanted to hammer spikes into my ears halfway through it. Terrible song

Yeah, give me something heavy to hype me up. That over dubbed rap saying racist slurs is sad shit man.
Reply/Quote