Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Iloka? or no George Iloka?
(02-15-2016, 05:15 PM)Benton Wrote: I didn't realize it was four, which speaks volumes to your post.

It says a lot, about the development of Shawn Williams.  Iloka and Williams are the ones we drafted and developed.  They are ready to be the starting duo for the next several years.  Derron Smith was drafted last year, and he should develop into a good player, as well.  I'd still like to see the Bengals spend a quality draft pick on a Safety for the future.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 05:15 PM)Benton Wrote: I didn't realize it was four, which speaks volumes to your post.

Yep. I guess you could say that my indifference on Iloka has more to do with my confidence in Shawn Williams than anything else.

Williams showed a lot in those 4 games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 05:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. I think Nelson is the better player and it's not all that close. That said, with Nelson's age, I'd also think about keeping Iloka and sliding Williams over to Nelson's spot. He's shown that he can be a ball hawk. As far as Iloka being a "key piece" and one of the best safeties in the game, I think that's a bit much. Solid starter? Absolutely. 

I guess we'll see soon enough how the rest of the NFL sees Iloka. A top safety will get paid that way on the open market.
 The guy is elite he has everything you want in a safety size, coverage ability, smarts, and he can hit. The guy had a solid season this past season but he had an elite year in 14. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It took a long time for Marvin to finally draft a safety that would work out, his 10th to be exact. We had misses with guys like Madieu, Marvin (Whiff) White, Ndukwe, Corey Lynch, and Robert Sands. While I understand that Shawn Williams stepped up when Iloka went down, I'd prefer a duo of Iloka/Williams over Nelson/Williams just from the long term stand point. Nelson does not have much time left in this league. Then we're back to Williams/? as our safety duo.

Josh Shaw might be an answer, but he seems to be playing well at CB for us. Derron Lee is another option and he was considered a steal for us. Are you ready to roll with them? Feel like Marvin and Co. can draft an Iloka/Nelson replacement?

Also, with the cap being projected to increase by $12 million, we pretty much have no reason to not re-sign these guys. If they leave, then I'm guessing they want a change of scenery.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. I guess you could say that my indifference on Iloka has more to do with my confidence in Shawn Williams than anything else.

Williams showed a lot in those 4 games.

I was very pleased with Shawn Williams this season.  I was excited when we drafted him out of UGA, then somewhat disappointed as he seemed to be doomed to a lifetime of STs duty.  He really stepped up his game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 03:35 AM)CrazyAnimal8 Wrote: That is the question. Should the Bengals bring back George Iloka or should the Bengals walk away. Apparently, if Iloka is brought back than that means good possibility marvin jones will pack his bag and bounce. Any thoughts?

You absolutely bring him back, he's what 25 or 26, he's an all-around good safety and we have two mostly unknowns behind him in Williams and Smith. I would let Reggie walk and make it a priority to lock Iloka up long term.
Reply/Quote