Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Germain Pratt (redux)
(09-01-2021, 12:10 AM)Synric Wrote: In 2019 Pratt only played half the season after replacing Preston Brown. In 2020 rotated Logan Wilson and Akeem Davis-Gaither who took over on third downs. 

So Fred’s stats suggest Pratt is one of the best two down LBers in the league?
Reply/Quote
Preston Brown got so many tackles because he would meet the ball carrier 8 yards down field.
Reply/Quote
What do you suppose is his tacklin’ fuel?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 12:46 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So Fred’s stats suggest Pratt is one of the best two down LBers in the league?

Since Lou Anarumo has been in Cincy he has had a linebacker rotation. Last year it was to work in two rookies he expected to play alot. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think I am legally required (by board rules) to say.... "Who is Germain Pratt and what team does he play for?"... to make fun of you misspelling a players name. It's not that I wanted to do it, but that I am required to do it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 08:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are 25 LBs who have at least 200 total tackles over the last two seasons.  20 of those 25 averaged at least 900 snaps per season.  Those 25 top tacklers averaged a tackle every 8.0 snaps played.  Only 3 of the 25 averaged less than 7 snaps per tackle.

Over the last two seasons Pratt ranks 36th in tackles by a LB with 165.  That is not bad considering there are 32 NFL teams.  But what is really impressive is that Pratt has averaged only 561 snaps played his first two seasons.  He averages a tackle every 6.8 snaps played which is better than 23 of the top 25 tacklers in the league.

GP is a straight up tackling machine.

I call this move the double back spin.

What do you think?

Pratt's biggest issue thus far has been coverage, and when you are in nickel 65% of the time, your LBs that are on the field better be able to cover.  

That being said, he has shown flashes of improving in this regard, and I will take any bad evaluation of our LBs this past year with a grain of salt as the defensive line play in front of them was horrible.  Especially at DT.  Those guys didn't keep anyone off the LBs.  This looks to be one of the team's biggest areas of improvement and I expect a similar leap in LB play.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 09:15 PM)jason Wrote: That was solid...

Maybe the tackling machine will make a memorable one some day.

Yep. That's like the SS that fields every ground ball to him but can't go 6 feet to his left or right to field one. I want to see this kid make real plays in crunch time. More TFL or create more TO's.
Reply/Quote
Pratt still up and playing, while Devin Bush is out with an injury and never really had the impact the squeelers had hoped and sacrificed (picks) to take our needed LB for that draft year.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 11:48 PM)bonesaw Wrote: He's gotta little Dhani Jones in him....  Dhani made about every run tackle 7 yards down field.

I liked Dhani's personality but watching him on the field could be frustrating. I remember where he gave up on a play where a tipped ball was still caught by a Denver WR who ran it down the field to go ahead in the final minute of a low scoring season opener. Maybe he wouldn't have caught the guy but the fact that he pulled up meant the ball carrier could drain more seconds off the clock, keeping us from having any chance of making a final few plays with a hail mary. 

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 10:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pratt looks like he’s about 47 years old. I bet he was one of them dudes who could buy beer in Jr high.

Haha, yes! I thought the same thing..he has that Lebron James look....
Thats said, I thought he played better last yr, but whats a head scratcher is he was a converted safety so naturally I thought ths guy will cover TEs like a beast and get like 2 to 3 picks per yr. Thats hasnt happened and the splash plays ; stoning Rbs, strip sacks, TFLs are lacking too. 
Reply/Quote
I remember Pratt coming out of NC State.
He had the speed and ability to cover, but he was also a sneaky good run defender in college.
PFF had him at a 90.3 rating in both run defense and tackling entering the draft.

He's actually been decent in coverage in the NFL. It's been his run defense that's been bad.
He's getting tackles, but they are coming after the RB is getting too far down the field.
He needs to get tackles closer to the LOS.
Maybe it's the scheme that's keep him too far away from the play? Or is he getting stuck on blocks?
I haven't looked close enough to see if there's a trend.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 12:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember Pratt coming out of NC State.
He had the speed and ability to cover, but he was also a sneaky good run defender in college.
PFF had him at a 90.3 rating in both run defense and tackling entering the draft.

He's actually been decent in coverage in the NFL. It's been his run defense that's been bad.
He's getting tackles, but they are coming after the RB is getting too far down the field.
He needs to get tackles closer to the LOS.
Maybe it's the scheme that's keep him too far away from the play? Or is he getting stuck on blocks?
I haven't looked close enough to see if there's a trend.

Again, another big issue in decent LB's becoming good LB's and decent DB's become good ones is having an efficient DL. Bengals have been terrible for years having enough 1-2 gap DL  taking on OL and, mainly, getting to QB's on sacks, hits and rushes.

Hell, we got posters that have enough time after a GD snap, to go make a Bologna sandwich and grab a beer, and still comeback to their couch with the ball still in the QB's hands.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 10:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  I had Pratt as my break
out Defensive player last year 

Same here. That is why I have the "redux" in the title.  

He barely played the first half of his rookie season and did not start playing more than half the snaps yntil the last 4 games. He looked really good those last 4 games with 34 tackles and 4 TFL.

I still have high hopes for him.  LBs are used in so many different ways that their production is hard to judge on raw stats. Guys used in coverage won't get as many tackles or sacks. And all LB stats will suffer when they have a week line in front of them.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 08:19 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: What do you suppose is his tacklin’ fuel?

lol thats where I went too...I'm sure mama knows.
Reply/Quote
Oops made a mistake and hit the wrong key and erased someone post, my apologies was trying to respond
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 09:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think I am legally required (by board rules) to say.... "Who is Germain Pratt and what team does he play for?"... to make fun of you misspelling a players name. It's not that I wanted to do it, but that I am required to do it.

He's not good enough to warrant a spell check. At least people try though. That's more than we can say for XSF.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 09:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think I am legally required (by board rules) to say.... "Who is Germain Pratt and what team does he play for?"... to make fun of you misspelling a players name. It's not that I wanted to do it, but that I am required to do it.

(09-01-2021, 02:02 PM)jason Wrote: He's not good enough to warrant a spell check. At least people try though. That's more than we can say for XSF.

And if we are going to play that game...  Quotes from TheLeanordLeap

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trey-Hopkins-contract-extended?pid=817236&highlight=Burrows#pid817236

Quote:Can't subject Burrows to that OL, you'll break/ruin him like David Carr.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Decisions-the-Bengals-need-to-make-the-next-few-months?pid=815573&highlight=Burrows#pid815573

Quote:(Reducing the draft needs list to... Burrows, a WR, another LB, a TE, and a CB.)

Okay not going to derail anymore.  But I like looking things up when people make certain claims.  It is very interesting.  Most often I don't post about it but this one was kind of fun give Loenard's post (spelled that wrong on purpose).  Plus whenever someone posts, "Burrows" instead of his real name "Burrow", which happens often, I find it funny.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 03:20 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: And if we are going to play that game...  Quotes from TheLeanordLeap

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trey-Hopkins-contract-extended?pid=817236&highlight=Burrows#pid817236

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Decisions-the-Bengals-need-to-make-the-next-few-months?pid=815573&highlight=Burrows#pid815573

Okay not going to derail anymore.  But I like looking things up when people make certain claims.  It is very interesting.  Most often I don't post about it but this one was kind of fun.  Plus whenever someone posts, "Burrows" instead of his real name "Burrow", which happens often, I find it funny as he is now kind of the face of the franchise.   Wink

AHA! You thought you were holding two trump cards but were holding none, George.

When I wrote both of those, Joe Burrow wasn't a Bengal. They are both dated 2019. Safe. He was just an LSU/SEC/college schmuck then, not a Bengal for another 4 months from that post. Cool

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 03:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: AHA! You thought you were holding two trump cards but were holding none, George.

When I wrote both of those, Joe Burrow wasn't a Bengal. They are both dated 2019. Safe. He was just an LSU/SEC/college schmuck then, not a Bengal for another 4 months from that post. Cool

But his name still wasn't Burrows as you posted in those threads.  Fred left one letter off for Pratt and you twice added one to Burrow.  Fred wins.  I feel dirty even admitting that.    Wink

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 03:42 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: But his name still wasn't Burrows as you posted in those threads.  :)

Who gives a crap about non-Bengals? Last I checked this is Jungle Noise, for Bengals fans. You don't need to know how to spell anyone's name until they put on that black and orange helmet. Note you didn't find an instance of it once he became a Bengal, and thus started actually mattering.

Disappointed in you, George. Next you're going to correct me that it isn't actually Rapistburger.

Reply/Quote