Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Germaine Pratt...we'll see ya
(02-28-2023, 12:26 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: For context…I think?

Surround yourself around?  Sounds like a line from a YES song.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A) Pratt let his emotions get the best of him immediately after the AFCCG loss, most likely because he knew HE missed a tackle that cost almost as much field position as Ossai's penalty. But, he manned up, publicly admitted his response was wrong and apologized to Ossai and the team. Non issue.

B) His tweets about wanting to play 3rd down are really no different that most of the WR's in the league that constantly whine about not getting the ball. Winners want the ball. Coaches understand that.

I suspect the only place either of these are an issue is here and with the Bengals' fanbase. I hope he re-signs here, but if it does actually come down to him or Wilson, there is no contest, you go with Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 02:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As a life-long Cavalry Scout I cannot let this lie. CALVARY is the name of the hill on which Jesus was crucified. CAVALRY are the bad*** MFers 

That's funny because I never once even thought of using that word in this manner until I witnessed the meme you posted many times over. Can still visualize it you posted it so often even. You know the one about Carson's Calvary on the Mothership and you certainly aimed it at posters backing up the Quitter as I did towards the Spain defenders. 

You never once used it as the actual Calvary or anything to do with my Savior unless my reading comprehension was off kilter those days.  

Lil hypocritical don't you think ?  Or are you just looking for an avenue to brag you're bad***MFer ?  In that case glad I lobbed one up for you to drive out of the park. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 12:41 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: A team made of all choir boys won’t get it done either. Need A few players who are passionate about winning and have an edge to them take losing personally and don’t quietly go home and just count their paycheck after a tough loss. Solid linebacker he didn’t commit an off the field felony

Some of the best players are quite and humble and just as passionate about winning and they get the job done on field are team players  and no home to family.  
Reply/Quote
Pratt is very under-rated. Wilson is better, but Pratt has been great.
I'd prefer we re-sign him and not have another hole to fill (or more likely, a dropoff in play with his replacement).
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:56 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Pratt is very under-rated. Wilson is better, but Pratt has been great.
I'd prefer we re-sign him and not have another hole to fill (or more likely, a dropoff in play with his replacement).

Why do you think Pratt is underrated? 

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 02:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As a life-long Cavalry Scout I cannot let this lie. CALVARY is the name of the hill on which Jesus was crucified. CAVALRY are the bad*** MFers 

[Image: 778be8a5b362290f57aa66d2ac6375488dc8298e.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't say that I completely agree with the OP's sentiment on this one.  I feel like the chance that Pratt is re-signed is likely closer to 65% than zero.  The dude has developed into a really solid, all-around LB, his coverage game was pretty much excellent this season.  It's unfortunate that an emotional moment was caught on camera, following the KC game, as those are private team moments that cameras should not have been present.  That type of thing happens in every locker room following a tough, close defeat.  I'm willing to bet that Pratt and Ossai have spoken with each other about that incident and more than likely put it behind them.

This.  My Ossai jersey (that I immediately ordered after that mini press conference with BJ Hill) arrived yesterday.  I forgot I had ordered it. 

I am willing to forgive Pratt the tweets and the emotional outburst because playing, earning for his life, and winning matter to the guy.  My hope is that he gets a good, not great deal for a LB and takes it.  I don't really know how much that is, but I have to take in to account that he is not a 3-4 LB pass rusher but a solid guy in coverage and run support.  That matters to anyone that saw this team struggle for seemingly ages until they finally got their current crop of LBs.

I prioritize Bell, and the future Wilson contract over Pratt, though.  If he wants $10 million a year and can get it elsewhere, great.  I hope he stays here and gets a deal with incentives that could run it up to maybe $7 million a year.  People might say that is too much, but players (and more likely, agents) seem to discout the "fit" of where they are at today.  They could be signed elsewhere, and it totally busts, which leads to their release early from their contract.  I would think that the knowledge of this defense, the relationship with Lou and his teammates would matter quite a bit more than the absolute highest contract.

Either way, I wish him the best.  His tweets don't put him anywhere near the Eli Apple catagory, and his rookie deal was peanuts.  He played better than a 3rd round pick and deserves to be compensated.  No issue with him going after that.  
Reply/Quote
Listened to Zac’s presser at the combine. Paraphrasing, but he said he likes the players expressing themselves and it makes the locker room tighter to back them up.

Look no further than Eli Apple.

Zac doesn’t care what Pratt says. He wants the team to express themselves.
Reply/Quote
I think Pratt is a great LB, he was the hero of our first playoff win in decades with the 4th quarter INT against the Raiders, and also the first KC game stripping the ball away from Travis Kelsey.  I'd hate to see him go and the fact he was emotional about the loss shows me he cares about winning and just isn't out there going through the motions to get a paycheck.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: 0% this dude is back in stripes next year.

ZT values the locker room and a players character. Pratt won't stop tweeting bullshit and with the way he treated Ossai after the KC loss...this guy dug his grave.

It kind of reminds me of Spain last year. He threw the other OL under the bus after the SB loss and the Bengals showed no interest in him coming back.

I'd look for the Bengals to re-up Logan Wilson this off-season while Pratt walks. I just can't see them bringing him back.

What are you George Grande who broadcasted the Reds games where everybody is just a great, swell guy who has great parents and great friends? There's never ever been an issue with Pratt and he let his guard down in a moment of frustration like 100% of this freakin' board did, you know the board that has a few really mature adults that are fathers and good citizens?

If Pratt does not get resigned it will mainly, if not 100%, be for financial reasons.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 02:35 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I'd be highly surprised if Pratt doesn't return.

If he doesn't, we can conclude the apology he issued was probably viewed as hollow.

If it was genuine and the team h as moved on, we all know Cincy pays its own, much more often than not.

It has nothing to do with that.

It's the money.  We don't have the $12-15 million per year that it's likely he gets on the open market.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 12:02 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I mean we re-uped Eli Apple last year. So running your mouth isn't the deciding factor

Well if Pratt will take $1.8 million then I’m all for it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Why do you think Pratt is underrated? 

Mainly because people keep making threads about how we shouldn't re-sign him. But if you look at his stats playing limited snaps, he produces. He's been solid in coverage, tackles well, he makes big plays. Had a couple picks this year. He's been getting better every year.

Yeah he's got a bit of an ego and wants to win badly, but most great players do. He wants to win and understands this is a team sport.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 02:57 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The big question regarding Pratt is, who do the coaches think is the better player: Pratt or Wilson. Because I don't think they should give second contracts to both. That's a lot of money to give to off ball line backers.

So, if the Bengals feel Pratt is better than Wilson, I think we'll re-sign Pratt.

The thing is....I don't think the Bengals feel that way.

So Pratt is probably gone.

Unless the market just totally whiffs on him and we get him back for like 5M AAV.

After listening to multiple Bengals podcasts hosted by local beat writers, I'm confident to say that Logan Wilson is the preferred player. Morrison and Dehner think we'll see a Wilson extension around training camp.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It is such a weird situation we find ourselves in.

1) The major FA's we have (the guys who project to start when we are healthy) are all at spots with low positional value: safery (two), linebacker, and tight-end. We drafted Bates' replacement last year (Dax Hill) and could easily get a high end prospect at the other spots where we are picking (Rds 1-2) and save some cap cash. Yes, I know Apple is a starter, but is he when Chido returns? Regardless, we'll get to him later. Cap wise, this makes the most sense. Save the big $$ deals for spots that have higher positional value (QB, OT, DE, CB, WR).

2) Furthermore, the guy we could cut to save the most $$ this year, Mixon, is also at a low value spot. Where quality, productive starters are often found day 2 or day 3.

3) Cap-wise, some combination of these 2 moves seems like a no-brainer. Save the cash. Spend your high picks on top prospects at those spots (TE, LB, S, RB). Use your mid-round picks and cash savings in FA to bolster depth at other spots (DE, CB, OT, WR) and move on.

4) But that is probably gonna weaken a super bowl caliber team in the short term. And it makes us draft more for a particular position rather than value. And it could leave us dangerously thin at some other spots with injury concerns (RT, CB). If Chido is iffy & Apple and Flowers walk, we have an issue at CB. And it does nothing to address the looning issues at OT.

5) If we draft to replace guys at TE, S, LB, and RB, it means foregoing help at high value soots like OT, CB, and in the pass rush. Tough to find immediate Day 3 help there. Almost impossible. If we hold what we have (to the extent possible) it allows us to take guys in the draft early who can help us NOW.

6) The FO is not in total control of this situation. To what extent Burrow, Higgins, Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine, and Wilson are willing to take a bit less to stay, and what the market is for them, will make some decisions for us.

Me, I tend to be in the camp of holding what we have to the extent possible. And using the draft to get the BPA who can help us now (likely DL, TE, or CB, maybe OL). If I have to lose guys, I want to lose guys at positions it is easiest to replace with mid to late round picks. RB (Mixon) and LB (Pratt) top that list. TE & S next.

And I want to kick the can down the road as far as possible on cap casualties. I'd love to be drafting for potential cuts down the road like we did with Hill last year, but I'd rather get a guy who helps get us over the top this year.

1st priority: Burrow extension
2nd priority: Bell & Hurst (cupboard can't be bare at TE & S)
3rd priority: Pratt (I call Wagner if he walks)
4th priority: Perine (insurance for if I cut Mixon)
5th priority: Apple (for backup money & to free the draft)

I let Bates walk. I would totally cut Mixon in 3 scenarios, but Perine has to be locked up in all of them:

1) It lets us keep one of our top FAa (Bell, Pratt, Hurst, even Bates)
2) It lets us replace a top FA we lose (Wagner for Pratt)
3) It lets us sign a quality FA at a high value spot (RT, DE, CB)
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 12:14 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Mainly because people keep making threads about how we shouldn't re-sign him. But if you look at his stats playing limited snaps, he produces. He's been solid in coverage, tackles well, he makes big plays. Had a couple picks this year. He's been getting better every year.

Yeah he's got a bit of an ego and wants to win badly, but most great players do. He wants to win and understands this is a team sport.

I think we all would like to have him but not at a huge number.  

People have a short memory.  Pratt was awful in coverage his first 2 seasons, only average at best last year, thus why he has never been a 3 down LB.  In his limited snaps on passing plays he did well this year. 

We cannot afford to pay big money to 2 LBs.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 02:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It has nothing to do with that.

It's the money.  We don't have the $12-15 million per year that it's likely he gets on the open market.

You do if you cut Mixon. Mixon's money gives the team wayyyyy more miliage in Pratt than it does Joe at this point.
Reply/Quote
I think Pratt won't come back simply because of the cap space. The Bengals have their pecking order, and I think they see more pressing needs at certain positions on retaining players (aka Keeping Bell at CB, and obviously finding a way to keep Tee after the re-signing of Joe)
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It is such a weird situation we find ourselves in.

1) The major FA's we have (the guys who project to start when we are healthy) are all at spots with low positional value: safery (two), linebacker, and tight-end. We drafted Bates' replacement last year (Dax Hill) and could easily get a high end prospect at the other spots where we are picking (Rds 1-2) and save some cap cash. Yes, I know Apple is a starter, but is he when Chido returns? Regardless, we'll get to him later. Cap wise, this makes the most sense. Save the big $$ deals for spots that have higher positional value (QB, OT, DE, CB, WR).

2) Furthermore, the guy we could cut to save the most $$ this year, Mixon, is also at a low value spot. Where quality, productive starters are often found day 2 or day 3.

3) Cap-wise, some combination of these 2 moves seems like a no-brainer. Save the cash. Spend your high picks on top prospects at those spots (TE, LB, S, RB). Use your mid-round picks and cash savings in FA to bolster depth at other spots (DE, CB, OT, WR) and move on.

4) But that is probably gonna weaken a super bowl caliber team in the short term. And it makes us draft more for a particular position rather than value. And it could leave us dangerously thin at some other spots with injury concerns (RT, CB). If Chido is iffy & Apple and Flowers walk, we have an issue at CB. And it does nothing to address the looning issues at OT.

5) If we draft to replace guys at TE, S, LB, and RB, it means foregoing help at high value soots like OT, CB, and in the pass rush. Tough to find immediate Day 3 help there. Almost impossible. If we hold what we have (to the extent possible) it allows us to take guys in the draft early who can help us NOW.

6) The FO is not in total control of this situation. To what extent Burrow, Higgins, Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine, and Wilson are willing to take a bit less to stay, and what the market is for them, will make some decisions for us.

Me, I tend to be in the camp of holding what we have to the extent possible. And using the draft to get the BPA who can help us now (likely DL, TE, or CB, maybe OL). If I have to lose guys, I want to lose guys at positions it is easiest to replace with mid to late round picks. RB (Mixon) and LB (Pratt) top that list. TE & S next.

And I want to kick the can down the road as far as possible on cap casualties. I'd love to be drafting for potential cuts down the road like we did with Hill last year, but I'd rather get a guy who helps get us over the top this year.

1st priority: Burrow extension
2nd priority: Bell & Hurst (cupboard can't be bare at TE & S)
3rd priority: Pratt (I call Wagner if he walks)
4th priority: Perine (insurance for if I cut Mixon)
5th priority: Apple (for backup money & to free the draft)

I let Bates walk. I would totally cut Mixon in 3 scenarios, but Perine has to be locked up in all of them:

1) It lets us keep one of our top FAa (Bell, Pratt, Hurst, even Bates)
2) It lets us replace a top FA we lose (Wagner for Pratt)
3) It lets us sign a quality FA at a high value spot (RT, DE, CB)

Pratt is 5th or lower priority.  You can't spend that kind of money on him.  It's just not smart at all.
Reply/Quote