Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germaine Pratt
The LB had his best game as a bengal Sunday against Denver. Had 15 tackles and was in right place at right time most of the day.

Just seemed to me with the injuries we had at LB he took it personally and answered the challenge. Need him not time this week against the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
Pratt was huge, but this is also why you invest heavily in the trenches. The play of all four of those DTs made the play of the LBs that much easier. Not saying it is an easy job....far from it. But those DTs help every position on the field.

Bailey was also very solid as was Bachie before his unfortunate injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Pratt had a very good game. One thing that I did notice is that they need to keep him back where he can see the play in front of him. There were a few plays where they had him shift up to the Left edge, which allowed Denver to recognize, adjust, and run the ball up the gut for good yardage. That's not Germaine's fault, I'm just suggesting that they keep him lined in a position where he can affect a play, no matter which direction it goes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Pratt has been good all season. He finally developed into what they thought he could be under the watchful eye of Al Golden.
Reply/Quote
He is hitting people harder and knocking them back at times which has been lacking on this team. Wilson Pratt and the other younger backers are all improving. Next year LB should be a strength when they all come back healthy.
Reply/Quote
Pratt QB Rating allowed by year...

2019: 120.1
2020: 111.1
2021: 93.2

Certainly some improvement there. Not yet where I would call "good", but leaps and bounds above where he was previously.

Starting to make some splash plays is always nice, though. Got his first INT in 3 years this year, got his first (and second) FF in 3 years this year, got his first (half) sack in 3 years this year. Cleaned up his missed tackles a bit, too. 10.1% last year to 7.6% this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2021, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Pratt has been good all season. He finally developed into what they thought he could be under the watchful eye of Al Golden.

(12-21-2021, 12:46 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: He is hitting people harder and knocking them back at times which has been lacking on this team. Wilson Pratt and the other younger backers are all improving. Next year LB should be a strength when they all come back healthy.

These are great points. Germaine Pratt is becoming the punisher; the physically intimidating linebacker the Bengals have been missing since Vontaze Burfict. In the AFC North it’s crucial to have a linebacker — or several linebackers — with sheer intimidation factor.

My prediction is Pratt will outplay Burfict because his mind is more focused. I’ll say this about Burfict who I met a few times: Off the field he’s smart, courteous, and a real gentleman. However, when he steps in bounds the screws come loose.
Reply/Quote
Pratt plays smart, low on penalties, and now makes the tackles, which is what I like.
Reply/Quote
Pratt played very well at the end of the 2019 season (last 4 games). Before last season I predicted he would be the "breakout" defensive player. But they used him a little differently and he was not all that productive.

Hopefully this big game last Sunday was a sign that he is the player I thought he could be after 2019.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2021, 07:58 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: The LB had his best game as a bengal Sunday against Denver. Had 15 tackles and was in right place at right time most of the day.

Just seemed to me with the injuries we had at LB he took it personally and answered the challenge. Need him not time this week against the Ravens.

Pratt has been playing very good this season, majorly improved. Love how he has gotten more physical this season, he likes
to really hit people now and as you said has stepped up since Logan and ADG have gone down. Hope Logan is back soon to 
help him out, sounds like it could happen before the season ends from what I am hearing.

In the meantime Pratt needs to give Andrews some big shots when he tries and goes over the middle. Give him something to
think about. Pratt was my 2nd favorite LB in that draft behind Devin White before we drafted him. He had been disappointing
me big time before this season. Happy he is finally coming around. He could always cover, he was just a little soft but that has
changed this season. He is a known hard hitter now and he wraps up well and is always trying to rip the ball out.
Reply/Quote
If he and Logan continue to ascend, think we will be able to retain both of them?
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 03:21 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: If he and Logan continue to ascend, think we will be able to retain both of them?

I would think so... 4-3 LBs don't make pass rusher or top CB money. I don't think they do anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2021, 08:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pratt was huge, but this is also why you invest heavily in the trenches.  The play of all four of those DTs made the play of the LBs that much easier.  Not saying it is an easy job....far from it.  But those DTs help every position on the field.  

Bailey was also very solid as was Bachie before his unfortunate injury.

I thought Bailey came in and played really well.  I was watching him closely.  He's a little undersized, but he makes up for it with his speed and football instincts.  He was taking some really good angles and wasn't getting caught up in the middle of the flow.  If he could just stay healthy. 
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 03:27 PM)Cat-Man Wrote: I thought Bailey came in and played really well.  I was watching him closely.  He's a little undersized, but he makes up for it with his speed and football instincts.  He was taking some really good angles and wasn't getting caught up in the middle of the flow.  If he could just stay healthy. 

Bailey is a natural football player no doubt. He knows how to play the game, like you said, takes good angles, tackles well
and has good instincts which is something you just cannot teach. Instinctual LB play is essential in the NFL. Doesn't matter 
how talented you are (Malik Jefferson).
Reply/Quote
To think how a good amount thought he was a bust some calling for him to be cut...
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 03:27 PM)Cat-Man Wrote: I thought Bailey came in and played really well.  I was watching him closely.  He's a little undersized, but he makes up for it with his speed and football instincts.  He was taking some really good angles and wasn't getting caught up in the middle of the flow.  If he could just stay healthy. 

He may be a touch short, but he's not undersized
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

The single greatest impact I have seen from a LB in stripes was.....

any guesses?

It wasn't Burfict.  Although he was a special player at one time....

It was O'dell Thurman.  He really only got extensive playing time his rookie season before an alcohol addiction ruined his career.  But, wow....that rookie year.  He had 5 INTs and 5 forced fumbles.  Dude was so versatile.  Fast.  Instinctive.  Sure, he would get caught in overpursuit, but he was so immediate in his reads and reaction.  

I bring him up because of your "undersized" comment.  Thurman was all of 6' and 230 lbs.  He absolutely laid the wood when he hit people.  Today's top LBs aren't built like Maualuga, who probably could have been a legend if he played in the 70s (and also laid off booze), but today's LBs are really like big safeties.  They have to be able to run, first and foremost.  

Sure, it is different if you are playing a 3-4 and you are talking about an edge rusher, but still.  
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2021, 10:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The single greatest impact I have seen from a LB in stripes was.....

any guesses?

It wasn't Burfict.  Although he was a special player at one time....

It was O'dell Thurman.  He really only got extensive playing time his rookie season before an alcohol addiction ruined his career.  But, wow....that rookie year.  He had 5 INTs and 5 forced fumbles.  Dude was so versatile.  Fast.  Instinctive.  Sure, he would get caught in overpursuit, but he was so immediate in his reads and reaction.  

I bring him up because of your "undersized" comment.  Thurman was all of 6' and 230 lbs.  He absolutely laid the wood when he hit people.  Today's top LBs aren't built like Maualuga, who probably could have been a legend if he played in the 70s (and also laid off booze), but today's LBs are really like big safeties.  They have to be able to run, first and foremost.  

Sure, it is different if you are playing a 3-4 and you are talking about an edge rusher, but still.  

That what I was saying; Thurman wasn't undersized. The archetype for a 4-3 LB is typically 6'0-6'3, 225-250 pounds (and of course, there are exceptions)., so Bailey (or Thurman) aren't undersized.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote