Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germany Elections: Moving to the Far Right?
(03-15-2016, 09:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem with this is that the CDU/CSU is a center-right party. So while some Germans are shifting to the right, a lot are shifting to the left as well. Also, and this is a part of the culture that some people don't know, is that nationalism in Germany is a big social no-no these days. What we would call patriotism would get you some awkward looks from your fellow Germans. This creates a different atmosphere than in other European countries and makes it hard to compare to, say France. French people will tell you they are proud to be French. You will not get the same response from Germans for the most part. So, with the AfD playing that nationalist card it will hurt them unless we see a culture shift in the German people as a whole, which I think would be very difficult.

The immigration debate is changing the culture. I can go back to any story involving Germany and migrants as example of how people are just getting worn down and want these people out and borders secured. These stories happening don't change the needle but the amount of news stories coming out all over is just crazy. These migrant centers are like the Wild West.
(03-15-2016, 09:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The immigration debate is changing the culture. I can go back to any story involving Germany and migrants as example of how people are just getting worn down and want these people out and borders secured. These stories happening don't change the needle but the amount of news stories coming out all over is just crazy. These migrant centers are like the Wild West.

Not from what I have heard. Talking with people living near migrant centers they haven't mentioned anything really different. IIRC, I saw a poll a while ago where people living near the migrant centers and/or had direct contact with the migrants perceived less of an influence on their lives by the migrants than people that had no contact with them. Shows that the stuff being reported by the media is disproportionately negative in regards to the migrants and potentially coloring the view of the people, to AfD blue if you will.
(03-15-2016, 09:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not from what I have heard. Talking with people living near migrant centers they haven't mentioned anything really different. IIRC, I saw a poll a while ago where people living near the migrant centers and/or had direct contact with the migrants perceived less of an influence on their lives by the migrants than people that had no contact with them. Shows that the stuff being reported by the media is disproportionately negative in regards to the migrants and potentially coloring the view of the people, to AfD blue if you will.

The issue for everyone was not that they let migrants in... It was that they let them in without subjecting them to security checks.

Really there should be no single men allowed to migrate if we are just talking about taking in those who are in trouble and charity cases. Then it should be women and children first.

As far as AfD and their stances and whether they will become mainstream Looks unlikely. But their immigration stance is certainly becoming mainstream.

The EU is feeling the squeeze already,.... Brexit is leading the polls and has the more inspired and motivated voters. What will be the dominos in Europe once the Brits leave the EU?
(03-15-2016, 09:55 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The issue for everyone was not that they let migrants in... It was that they let them in without subjecting them to security checks.

Really there should be no single men allowed to migrate if we are just talking about taking in those who are in trouble and charity cases. Then it should be women and children first.

As far as AfD and their stances and whether they will become mainstream Looks unlikely. But their immigration stance is certainly becoming mainstream.

The EU is feeling the squeeze already,.... Brexit is leading the polls and has the more inspired and motivated voters. What will be the dominos in Europe once the Brits leave the EU?

It's not just the AfD approach to immigration, though. In truth, most of Merkel's party is pissed at her as well because of all of this.

Brexit will be disastrous for everyone but the UK. It will also strain our relations with the UK which have become less special over the past couple of decades. We like them in the EU because as a major player that sees things more our way on a lot of things, we like them to help keep the mainland in check. We will have to start relying on Germany more now, though, which they will be likely to facilitate given we because their largest trading partner this year, surpassing the French.
(03-15-2016, 09:12 AM)Benton Wrote: I followed the link. Funny sign, but doesn't provide much on the topic.

I was wondering if it were the new "Rick Roll".
Hilarious
(03-15-2016, 12:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's not just the AfD approach to immigration, though. In truth, most of Merkel's party is pissed at her as well because of all of this.

Brexit will be disastrous for everyone but the UK. It will also strain our relations with the UK which have become less special over the past couple of decades. We like them in the EU because as a major player that sees things more our way on a lot of things, we like them to help keep the mainland in check. We will have to start relying on Germany more now, though, which they will be likely to facilitate given we because their largest trading partner this year, surpassing the French.

There would be no leave the EU talk of each country had control of its borders.
(03-15-2016, 01:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: There would be no leave the EU talk of each country had control of its borders.

Yeah there would. There has been leave the EU talk since the EU was founded and the UK became a member. Why do you think they never adopted the Euro as their currency? They were never fully invested into the EU like the mainland was.
(03-15-2016, 01:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah there would. There has been leave the EU talk since the EU was founded and the UK became a member. Why do you think they never adopted the Euro as their currency? They were never fully invested into the EU like the mainland was.

True. But it would have never gotten to a vote.
(03-14-2016, 01:59 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Worst chancellor in German history is a hard crown to take.

Konrad Ardenauer?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021