Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Ready For Classic Bengal Pickups In FA
Every season Bengal fans are hoping the front office makes some important pickups to further the team to the ultimate goal of reaching the SB, and are always disappointed with the end results year after year.

Last year we made a huge splash with B.W Webb, John Miller, Preston Brown, Bobby Hart.

I can see this years FA transpire with the front offices spin on game changing FA for 2020.

"The Bengals are happy to announce a new era starting with this years FA signings"

Moe Lester- LB
Willie Stroker- CB
Dick Smalley- Guard
Will Tickel- OLB

After listening to various podcasts with Duke being interviewed I dont see the Bengals doing anything different this year that they have in past FA.

Burrow is gonna be great but there are so many needs for this team that the draft alone isn't going to cut it. I can only imagine the decisions being made in the next few months will bring..
Reply/Quote
I think we actually will make some good signings this year. I honestly think that the FO will do everything they can to help Burrow (if he is the actual pick)
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 02:47 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I think we actually will make some good signings this year. I honestly think that the FO will do everything they can to help Burrow (if he is the actual pick)

I was listening to Duke T. on various podcasts about this years FA pickups and his vibe was they are going to do exactly what they've been doing in past FA and not change anything. They(front office) feel what they are doing is smart in past FA Whatever
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 02:47 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I think we actually will make some good signings this year. I honestly think that the FO will do everything they can to help Burrow (if he is the actual pick)

I hope you are right but I have no idea why anyone would think that the most stubborn owner in NFL history would change his ways.

There has been talk on the board about Mike signing WRs in the past like T.O and Coles.

But the truth is Mike has never attempted to sign first tier free agent o lineman or LBs.

If they don't sign two top free agents at the two glaring areas of need, if I was advising Burrow I would tell him to pull the Eli Manning card.

Unproven to poor coaching staff, worst o line in the league, worst LBs in the league ( both for several years running) and no indication that Mike Brown will ever go "all in" to make a Super Bowl contender.

In my own profession I cannot tolerate people who are not committed to excellence. What evidence can anyone cite showing that Mike Brown is committed to excellence and making the Bengals the most competitive team possible?

Who on this board would not make massive changes to scouting, indoor facility, personnel decisions, free agency, etc. after losing two or three games every year for how many years to the Steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 01:37 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I hope you are right but I have no idea why anyone would think that the most stubborn owner in NFL history would change his ways.

There has been talk on the board about Mike signing WRs in the past like T.O and Coles.

But the truth is Mike has never attempted to sign first tier free agent o lineman or LBs.

If they don't sign two top free agents at the two glaring areas of need, if I was advising Burrow I would tell him to pull the Eli Manning card.

Unproven to poor coaching staff, worst o line in the league, worst LBs in the league ( both for several years running) and no indication that Mike Brown will ever go "all in" to make a Super Bowl contender.

In my own profession I cannot tolerate people who are not committed to excellence. What evidence can anyone cite showing that Mike Brown is committed to excellence and making the Bengals the most competitive team possible?

Who on this board would not make massive changes to scouting, indoor facility, personnel decisions, free agency, etc. after losing two or three games every year for how many years to the Steelers.

Well Mikey is getting on in age and maybe he wants to leave Katie a good team before he goes...

The last time we had the first overall pick and needed a QB we brought in pieces. I think this is the main reason I expect a little 
more activity than we are used to. This and we have a new HC that just had a terrible year and the weaknesses are just so damn
obvious. Also the CBA is ending and he might HAVE to spend a lot of dough.
Reply/Quote
I understand fans complaining about the players we sign, but I can't understand people playing make believe just so they have something to squeal and cry about.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 01:37 PM)bengals67 Wrote: But the truth is Mike has never attempted to sign first tier free agent o lineman or LBs.

He traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league just two years ago and signed a LB who led the NFL in tackles.

I also remember fans GUARNTEEING that Mike Brown would NEVER EVER use a first round pick on a TE or OG.

I don't expect the Bengals to sign the very top rated free agents, but they have shown a willingness to sign decent quality starters instead of dumpster diving when they bring in a new QB.  When we drafted Palmer Brown solid rated players like Bobbie Williams, Tory James, Reggie Kelly, Nate Webster, and John Thornton.  When we drafted Dalton we rebuilt the defense by signing three new starters in free agency (Nate Clements, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson).

Not saying they will do that this year, but I sure don't see the point in playing make believe just to have something to whine about.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 08:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league just two years ago and signed a LB who led the NFL in tackles.

I also remember fans GUARNTEEING that Mike Brown would NEVER EVER use a first round pick on a TE or OG.

I don't expect the Bengals to sign the very top rated free agents, but they have shown a willingness to sign decent quality starters instead of dumpster diving when they bring in a new QB.  When we drafted Palmer Brown solid rated players like Bobbie Williams, Tory James, Reggie Kelly, Nate Webster, and John Thornton.  When we drafted Dalton we rebuilt the defense by signing three new starters in free agency (Nate Clements, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson).

Not saying they will do that this year, but I sure don't see the point in playing make believe just to have something to whine about.

Lots were saying we would never Draft a Center early too.

I know it hasn't panned out but we did with Price.
Reply/Quote
When you're going into a season where you don't have much hope of winning, it's probably a poor business decision to 'go for it all' in Free Agency.

When you are knocking on the door of being a playoff contender, and you have cap space, 'go for it' by all means.

I'm happy they didn't do anything last year as it was a lost season and we could have screwed ourselves cap wise. This year I would like to see some investment in the offensive line to protect Burrow. And I'd like a linebacker if one is available. I think there's more potential for us to start an upswing this year, and potentially make a run in the next couple years. 'Potential' is all I'm speaking to. Last year we didn't have any. Would have been a waste of money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 05:26 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: When you're going into a season where you don't have much hope of winning, it's probably a poor business decision to 'go for it all' in Free Agency.

When you are knocking on the door of being a playoff contender, and you have cap space, 'go for it' by all means.

I'm happy they didn't do anything last year as it was a lost season and we could have screwed ourselves cap wise. This year I would like to see some investment in the offensive line to protect Burrow. And I'd like a linebacker if one is available. I think there's more potential for us to start an upswing this year, and potentially make a run in the next couple years. 'Potential' is all I'm speaking to. Last year we didn't have any. Would have been a waste of money.

You don't have to go all in, just have to add a Lineman and a LB'er in FA that are not backup scrubs and we will be happy.

Not a lot to ask and we have plenty of dough to do so. Especially if we make the right moves.
Reply/Quote