Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ryan Shazier’s hit in playoffs will now be a penalty
The NFL refs are the absolute worst in professional sports.

How can these jerks not pay for full time refs????? They have more money than any other league.

Utter BS that Shazier was not flagged and Burfict not only flagged but suspended for three games while nothing happens to Steeler coach who pulled the hair of Nelson or Porter who got them in FG range.

NFL is sucks. No integrity League run by politically correct run amok Roger GODel.

Bengals will no doubt get screwed again in 2016 when they play the Steelers or Pats who are on the schedule this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 08:59 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The NFL refs are the absolute worst in professional sports.

How can these jerks not pay for full time refs????? They have more money than any other league.

Utter BS that Shazier was not flagged and Burfict not only flagged but suspended for three games while nothing happens to Steeler coach who pulled the hair of Nelson or Porter who got them in FG range.

NFL is sucks. No integrity League run by politically correct run amok Roger GODel.

Bengals will no doubt get screwed again in 2016 when they play the Steelers or Pats who are on the schedule this year.

So, you want the NFL to pay these refs as full time? We'd get the same refs I hope you know that.

And they only ref 20 days a year at about 4 hours for each of those days counting preseason. That's 80 hours of work a year unless they get to ref a playoff game. You could throw in a few more days for political correctness training, another day to read the rule changes and another for them to take a physical. Of course, you could throw in another day to learn to operate the replay booth video machine, which might take a half an hour.

Let's face it, these guys don't have a time consuming job.

Reply/Quote
3 months late there NFL.

Go **** yourselves
Reply/Quote
Yet another slap in the face from the NFL.

Let it go - we were finally moving on.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Here's what made me angry. In week 3 Eifert catches a pass, gets two feet down, turns as he's taking two steps and breaks the plane. The DBs foot kicks the ball out after he breaks the plane. The play is overturned because he "had not established himself as a runner" and therefore did not complete the catch. You can watch the play here at about the 1:05 mark:

Here is the interview with Tyler giving his account and what he was told as to why it wasn't a catch:

The we get to the playoff game, and have almost the identical scenario. Gio catches the ball, gets two feet down, takes two steps while turning and is hit. You can watch the similarity here:

In this case, taking two steps while turning was considered a "football move" and Gio was considered a runner, not a defenseless receiver. So if Eifert was considered still a receiver and no TD, why wasn't Gio considered still a receiver and defenseless? Or if Gio was considered a runner and had made a football move, why wasn't Eifert a runner who had broken the plane? The inconsistency is excruciating to me. And technically that inconsistency could have cost us the game considering the fact that the Bengals were within FG range at that point.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 12:55 PM)Beaker Wrote: Here's what made me angry. In week 3 Eifert catches a pass, gets two feet down, turns as he's taking two steps and breaks the plane. The DBs foot kicks the ball out after he breaks the plane. The play is overturned because he "had not established himself as a runner" and therefore did not complete the catch. You can watch the play here at about the 1:05 mark:

Here is the interview with Tyler giving his account and what he was told as to why it wasn't a catch:

The we get to the playoff game, and have almost the identical scenario. Gio catches the ball, gets two feet down, takes two steps while turning and is hit. You can watch the similarity here:

In this case, taking two steps while turning was considered a "football move" and Gio was considered a runner, not a defenseless receiver. So if Eifert was considered still a receiver and no TD, why wasn't Gio considered still a receiver and defenseless? Or if Gio was considered a runner and had made a football move, why wasn't Eifert a runner who had broken the plane? The inconsistency is excruciating to me. And technically that inconsistency could have cost us the game considering the fact that the Bengals were within FG range at that point.

Because Steelers, that's why.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Odd. Mike Carey said (during the game) that there was no flag because Gio turned and became a runner.

Blandino's explanation mentioned nothing of the sort and focused instead on "angles" and whether or not Shazier "lined up" Gio.

Shouldn't two high ranking and respected officials (one former) be able to agree on why such an egregious hit wasn't flagged?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
More ref inconsistency that went against the Bengals. Wheaton catches the ball, takes 3 steps, sees Shawn Williams coming, has time to tuck himself and lower his head....and the hit is called a personal foul on a defenseless WR:

Reggie Nelson completely cleans Owen Daniels' clock....his shoulders hit the ground before he does. No chance to protect himself. No flag:

The Nelson hit happened only 2-3 weeks earlier. So why was Nelson's hit not a penalty, but Williams' hit in the playoff game was?
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure the NFL admitted that the flag on Shawn Williams was erroneous.

I believe the difference (however silly it may be) between the Eifert non-catch and Gio's catch is that Eifert was being "tackled" before he got both feet down. Therefore, he had to "complete the catch" and maintain possession through hitting the ground. Whereas Gio did not get hit until he had already had both feet down and turned up field to become a runner.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 01:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Odd. Mike Carey said (during the game) that there was no flag because Gio turned and became a runner.

Blandino's explanation mentioned nothing of the sort and focused instead on "angles" and whether or not Shazier "lined up" Gio.

Shouldn't two high ranking and respected officials (one former) be able to agree on why such an egregious hit wasn't flagged?

Mike Carey is an idiot.  Whenever they ask his opinion, I assume the opposite will be true.

Nowhere in the rule did it state the "angles" part of Blandino's explanation.   Here's Blandino explaining the rule in 2013 - 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247653/article/nfls-dean-blandino-reviews-new-crownofthehelmet-rule

I've watched it a couple of times and I still can't tell if the explanation from 2013 is consistent or contradictory from what he gave after Shazier's hit.  Perhaps it is my Bengals-colored glasses, but I still think it was a complete CYA explanation by Blandino.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 03:21 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I'm pretty sure the NFL admitted that the flag on Shawn Williams was erroneous.  

They did which brings the count to 4 **** you's against our team in that "game". It's about at the point where I don't even care if we beat them anymore as long as we hurt them bad. It's the only way to keep sanity. 

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 05:25 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: They did which brings the count to 4 **** you's against our team in that "game". It's about at the point where I don't even care if we beat them anymore as long as we hurt them bad. It's the only way to keep sanity. 

Not gonna lie I jumped and cheered when Ben went down during the WC game before I had time to think I thought I was above that but I guess not. I also thought it was funny when someone threw garbage at him. LOL

Something about the Steelers bring the demons out of me!
Reply/Quote
It was illegal when it happened tho lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 03:21 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I'm pretty sure the NFL admitted that the flag on Shawn Williams was erroneous.  

I believe the difference (however silly it may be) between the Eifert non-catch and Gio's catch is that Eifert was being "tackled" before he got both feet down.  Therefore, he had to "complete the catch" and maintain possession through hitting the ground.  Whereas Gio did not get hit until he had already had both feet down and turned up field to become a runner.

No...did you watch the replay and hear Eifert describe his catch in the interview? He got both feet down, took two steps while turning and broke the plane. He was still considered a receiver since he had not made a football move. Gio did virtually the identical thing...got two feet down and took two steps while turning and was considered a runner because he had made a football move.
Reply/Quote
Didn't read past the third post.

I'm glad Aquapod made sure he quoted what was exactly above him. Like we didn't know he was replying to a post in this thread.

This is getting ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 11:45 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: Didn't read past the third post.

I'm glad Aquapod made sure he quoted what was exactly above him. Like we didn't know he was replying to a post in this thread.

Whew!  It's really hard to scroll down... I'm just out of breathe.   Nervous
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
The NFL is the World Wrastlin' Federation. Which is what they want. (Control=excitement=popularity=$$$$$$$)

Blandino's explanation is ridiculous.

They have taken a great game and turned it into theater. (The NFL needs to let the game play out naturally and fairly for both teams and you will get the theater that you want.)

All about the greenbacks.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Huge Bengal fan but got to call it the way I see it.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 11:45 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: Didn't read past the third post.

Are you trying to pick a fight or something?

Your complaint seems quite petty.
Reply/Quote
So 3 changes since that play-off game......This rule change where Shazier hit on Bernard is now illegal. NfL says no matter what angle the hit comes from, they don't want the crown of helmet hit in the game at all. .........Also they fined Steelers assistant Porter for being on the field.  We remember Porter wasn't even given a penalty, but the NFL has changed that and fined him. Of course Burfict and Jones were both hit with 15 yard penalties for 30 free yards for Steelers at end of game moving a 60 some yard field goal to around a 30 yard field goal at end of game. Since Porter WAS fined, the refs blew it and one of the 15 yards should have been off setting penalties, making it a much harder game winning field goal from around 45 or more yards............The 3rd change so far is that the NFL has said the touchdown catch the Steeler made between his legs is not a catch and should never have been ruled a catch. That would have taken Steelers only touchdown of the game off the boards.......

Now it's still a play-off loss.....none of this helps us now......but it does show the NFL has made a rule change and the NFL has pointed out flaws in the NFL refs that called this game.  The touchdown catch was a tough one, but NFL says the refs blew it.....The Steelers assistant coach has no business on the field in the face of Jones and Burfict.  Any Refs worth their pay should have known somebody not in uniform has no business on the field. That the NFL just fined him shows it should have been off setting penalties on at least 15 of the free 30 yards the refs gave Steelers to kick an easy game winning field goal. .......I know some who say you can't blame the refs, and most of those are part time refs, but when the NFL comes out and says the touchdown was no touchdown and Porter had no business on the field, then yes, the refs blew some huge calls in a huge play-off game.........I'm still going to say that some Bengals acted pretty stupid at the end of the game and played right into Porter and Steelers tactics.....but, the fact that NFL fined Porter for being on the field, look, it's basic football that he shouldn't have been on the field and Porter and Steelers should have been also hit with a penalty. The refs really blew that one. They get paid good money, and this is a pee wee football call, if you shouldn't be on the field, that is a penalty.  NFL refs should at least get that one right 100 % of the time. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The NFL blaming the refs blowing calls is their built in excuse of last resort.

The WWF/NFL has more money than they know what to do with and they don't have full time professional referees with accountability and transparency?

Thats their fall back comment after Phil Simms & Mike Carey tried to explain it away, then Blandino takes a shot at it with his make believe, and now they try to act like there is a new rule which would now make the hit illegal
(which is spin because it was already a penalty under the existing rules- it just wasn't called.)

The Steelers won that game because they were assisted by the refs. Period. On multiple occasions. 

The NFL is spinning what happened in that game to the national audience by saying there has been a rule change which covers the hit on Gio.

Really don't want to continue to beat this dead horse, but they keep standing the dead horse up for more and more spin.

Integrity in their product should be their goal. Not whatever this is.
Reply/Quote