Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get that Kool-Aid outa my face...
This feels like a training camp Denny thread. Mellow

There's a few things I'm excited to see. I think Eifert is going to make Gresham fans look silly for hating on him all offseason. I think Dalton will bounce back. The RB's are great. Dennard and DreKirk should shine this year. Alford is intriguing. Geno should be better. McCarron should be fun to watch during the preseason.

As for the playoffs though, there aren't any reasons to believe this year will be different. We've seen what this team can do while healthy and at home with an 8-0 record against an inferior team. I just hope they get in and a miracle happens. They have to win one at some point...right?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 09:09 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: You do realize that a corner almost never goes up against a TE right. The only time it would happen would be during zone coverage where the TE runs a corner route. That is popular in the red zone but the point is to generally get your TE on a LB to make a matchup problem. 

Sometimes I think I'm the only person that really knows anything about football in the room.

Well, they said he is "uncoverable" so I would imagine at SOME point they'd give Dre a shot at stopping him (you know, since Dre is supposed to be super awesome) but I'll let you go back to your own self-fellating of your football knowledge, oh wise one!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 10:05 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: This isn't a joke. Just drink the cool aid like you're told! 

Yea, but where is the punchline?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 04:34 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: [Image: remember_Jonestown.jpg]

(08-10-2015, 12:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yea, but where is the punchline?

Omg this is so funny.  LOL

(08-09-2015, 10:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Or when the TE lines up in the slot and the defense runs a nickle. Or if said TE lines up outside which Eifert can do...

Yeah but that still rarely puts the outside corner on the TE. Also it's no reason to get down on Dre that nobody can cover Eifert. It's all good. Just drink the Kool aid.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 12:20 AM)BayouBengal Wrote: Omg this is so funny.  LOL

Yeah but that still rarely puts the outside corner on the TE. Also it's no reason to get down on Dre that nobody can cover Eifert. It's all good. Just drink the Kool aid.

I'm not down on anybody, it was a joke.  But I have to say that a TE with a bad arm being "uncoverable" does make our defense sound kinda bad, too.  
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 12:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not down on anybody, it was a joke.  But I have to say that a TE with a bad arm being "uncoverable" does make our defense sound kinda bad, too.  

A couple things--

He no longer has a bad arm.  That's kinda what the surgery was for.

Second, you don't get open with your arms, you get open with your feet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 09:19 PM)Utts Wrote: Never fear, I am here to douse your dillusions of greatness.

Dalton is still Dalton.
Marvin Jones is already injured again.
The drop off after Jones is dramatic.
Eifert is unproven.
Burfict is a stupid tackle away from retirement.
Geno is an all-star practice player. Let's see what he does when it counts.
Our LB's are garbage after the fragile Burfict.
Our corners are young and/or unproven.
The Ben-gals are merely average.
Paul Brown is dead.
Sam Wyche is coaching high school ball.
Joe Pong is still Joe Pong.

Thank you.  Knew you could be counted on to present the down side of things. 

But, you know what?  Didn't really help.  I still like our chances.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 12:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not down on anybody, it was a joke.  But I have to say that a TE with a bad arm being "uncoverable" does make our defense sound kinda bad, too.  

Or maybe it makes our offense really good. Remember Jonestown? Just drink the kool aid like everyone else and we will all transcend soon. 
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 12:04 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: Or maybe it makes our offense really good. Remember Jonestown? Just drink the kool aid like everyone else and we will all transcend soon. 

You have a point.  Are we still operating under the delusion than McCarron looked "amazing" as well?  Amazing AJ, Uncoverable Eifert, and Better than Ever Atkins, right?  Our team is like Hulk Hogan; getting hurt just makes 'em way better!  Here's hoping we give the Steelers the BIG BOOT this year!

Also, I should put a thousand "joke ninjas" on here lest people think this post is serious as well.

Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja
[Image: FinalFantasy3_Weapons_Boomerangs.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:44 PM)McC Wrote: Nobody can cover Eifert - I believe Eifert is going to be a very good TE, but he's certainly coverable
Geno is ruining practice - Geno is really good
Burfict coming along - I want to believe it
the young CB's look very ready - I definitely believe it
Alford has scary speed - Speed doesn't always mean he's going to be a good WR
Andy is tearing it up in the no huddle - QBs always seem to look good in practice, I'd be more alarmed to hear something about them struggling
AJ on a mission - McCarron? See Andy. Green? He's really good.
Whit and Andre in the best shape of their lives - I don't believe they're in the BEST shape of their lives, but they're a top T duo.

(08-09-2015, 09:19 PM)Utts Wrote: Dalton is still Dalton. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we need some improvement
Marvin Jones is already injured again. This does suck
The drop off after Jones is dramatic. Sanu isn't that bad, but he's a MUCH better WR3 than having to rely on him in a big role
Eifert is unproven. Unproven, but he's looked good on the field, it's not like we haven't seen him at all
Burfict is a stupid tackle away from retirement. The whole Burfict situation is frustrating
Geno is an all-star practice player. Let's see what he does when it counts. He is an All-Pro caliber player when it counts, not really just a practice all star
Our LB's are garbage after the fragile Burfict. LB corp is weak
Our corners are young and/or unproven. We have plenty of talent at CB
The Ben-gals are merely average. Lol
Paul Brown is dead. C'mon, man
Sam Wyche is coaching high school ball. Okay.
Joe Pong is still Joe Pong. Still a troll? Yep!

My comments in bold to both the extreme optimism and the extreme pessimism. I'm somewhere in between as I'm sure most people are as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:44 PM)McC Wrote: ...cuz I am so ready to take a big drink.

Nobody can cover Eifert, Geno is ruining practice, Burfict coming along, the young CB's look very ready, Alford has scary speed, Andy is tearing it up in the no huddle, AJ on a mission, Whit and Andre in the best shape of their lives, on and on.

Stop it.  Just please stop it.  I am not strong enough to resist.

There is a different feel to things.  Ignore it.

I tell myself I have to look at like this--

Yes, it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but I'm gonna have to see it fly.

I tell myself this.  Does no good.

Am I the only one barely restraining the giddy welling up inside?  Anybody got some words of discouragement to put out any of the fire?  This is not a question I would normally ask.

Love it brother. Rock On

Cannot help but be excited either. If most of our guys stay healthy we will be a tough team to beat.

Geno being back is the biggest thing, he single handedly makes our Defense one of the best if he is 100%.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 09:19 PM)Utts Wrote: Never fear, I am here to douse your dillusions of greatness.

Dalton is still Dalton. Yes, but I think he's good enough if the rest of the team doesn't collapse.  He's not going to carry the team on his back though.
Marvin Jones is already injured again. Agreed.  My biggest frustration.  I just don't trust him to stay healthy when he can't even hardly make it into training camp.
The drop off after Jones is dramatic. Agreed.  Should have been dealt with in FA or draft.  We're relegated to praying that two of the group of Alford, Moore, Little and Kumerow (or at least ONE) step up and consistently perform.
Eifert is unproven. I was concerned before the weekend - and am still concerned about his fragility.  But I think he's going to be a stud.
Burfict is a stupid tackle away from retirement.  Major concern that he even gets on the field at all - playing even close to his former self.
Geno is an all-star practice player. Let's see what he does when it counts. Don't think there's a problem here.  There was nothing but concern last training camp.  He's always lived up to training camp hype - when there was some.
Our LB's are garbage after the fragile Burfict.  True - The only positives here are better depth with AJ - which is nullified if Burfict can't return to form - which I'm pretty sure won't happen this season - if ever.
Our corners are young and/or unproven.  I think both our youngsters will have growing moments - but all in all I think this is a much stronger group than last year
The Ben-gals are merely average.  Whatever
Paul Brown is dead. Still miss the guy
Sam Wyche is coaching high school ball.  Miss this guy even more
Joe Pong is still Joe Pong.  Trollers gonna troll   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:44 PM)McC Wrote: ...cuz I am so ready to take a big drink.

Nobody can cover Eifert, Geno is ruining practice, Burfict coming along, the young CB's look very ready, Alford has scary speed, Andy is tearing it up in the no huddle, AJ on a mission, Whit and Andre in the best shape of their lives, on and on.

Stop it.  Just please stop it.  I am not strong enough to resist.

There is a different feel to things.  Ignore it.

I tell myself I have to look at like this--

Yes, it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but I'm gonna have to see it fly.

I tell myself this.  Does no good.

Am I the only one barely restraining the giddy welling up inside?  Anybody got some words of discouragement to put out any of the fire?  This is not a question I would normally ask.
 most teams are feeling the very same way in preseason..it matters for nothing until the bengals actually win a playoff game
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 01:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I prefer optimism and hope versus gloom and doom. I am mature enough to understand failure (losses) is the reality when there are 32 NFL teams and one prize. I am a gambler and the odds do not favor any NFL team in August. If we lose or have a bad year, I can kick, scream and vent numerous ways.

I prefer to be optimistic starting out (pre-season) with a team that has proven they can compete with the big boys, if they fail this year, life will go on. I don't have the need to be able to tell others I told you so, I was the smart one and you were dumb for taking an optimistic view of a team 4-23-1 and the best record overall of all teams in the AFCN under AD and company starting AD's rookie year going against proven NFL QB's like Flacco and Ben R.

but the team cant compete with the big boys and the playoff record proves such
Reply/Quote
This is where my optimism falls short. Marv's inability to get his teams ready for the big games.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 01:15 PM)xavierdude Wrote: but the team cant compete with the big boys and the playoff record proves such

If you look at only the playoffs, then yes you are correct.

if you look at wins against Brees, Rivers, Stafford, Flacco and Ben R on the road, Peyton, Rodgers, Luck, Brady Ben R, Flacco and others at home, it dwarfs the playoff losses in my opinion.

They have proven they can beat playoff teams over and over, they have not proven it in the post season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 01:15 PM)xavierdude Wrote: but the team cant compete with the big boys and the playoff record proves such

It only proves they have failed to do so so far...

Its a new year and past wins and losses mean nothing for 2015
Reply/Quote
Still too many questions at WR and LB for me to feel drunk on any Kool Aid.

I think Dalton has the capacity to develop into a great QB. It took Peyton Manning a few years. Still, that's a big mountain to climb. If he can do it (or come close), he might be able, like Manning, to make his receivers better than they might be playing with a different QB. Is that this year? We will see. If not, I love McCarron's "it" factor. He ought to get a chance in a year or two if Andy can't get us to the next level.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 02:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you look at only the playoffs, then yes you are correct.

if you look at wins against Brees, Rivers, Stafford, Flacco and Ben R on the road, Peyton, Rodgers, Luck, Brady Ben R, Flacco and others at home, it dwarfs the playoff losses in my opinion.

They have proven they can beat playoff teams over and over, they have not proven it in the post season.

(08-10-2015, 02:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: It only proves they have failed to do so so far...

Very true as well. We will see, Marv just doesn't seem to be able to outcoach in Playoff games.

I hope the team can carry him to a Playoff win or two this season. A healthy Geno Atkins makes this possible IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 02:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: It only proves they have failed to do so so far...

I agree the past is the past so let all of it go versus cherry picking the past playoff losses only. You know as wins and losses are in the past and mean nothing (your words).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote