Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get the smell out
So my question concerns washing. I have two cats. No, I am not going to get rid of them because of this. Their litter boxes are in my spare bedroom. There is a 'throw'/small blanket that I fold up and place under the boxes. Every month or so, I replace the throw with a clean one and wash the throw. It can't be helped that they smell like urine when I do this. I guess they come out of their box from digging and burying etc and walk on these throws 1st hence their is a smell after time.
So anyway I wash them. I have tried both...a regular wash and a pre soak cycle. I have used cheap detergent and better detergent. I dry them and fold them up and place them on a shelf in the closet, and guess what, they still have a urine smell. It's frustrating to wash and still have that smell. I have heard baking soda might work. I have heard fabric softener added might work. I know there are things on line that I can order but I really don't want to buy and deliver a cleaning product this way, it's a nuisance...although I might have to. About a month ago, one of my cats had an accident on the bed. I think it was a one off, because it hasn't happened since. Anyway I washed that comforter, placed it back on the bed, and guess what, it has a urine smell still also. Anybody have any secrets to wash and get the smell out better than what I am doing?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First of all your cat did not piss on your bed by "accident".  They do that when they are mad at you.

Second, Fabreez In Wash Oder Eliminator

[Image: febreeze-300x250.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all your cat did not piss on your bed by "accident".  They do that when they are mad at you.

Second, Fabreez In Was Oder Eliminator

[Image: febreeze-300x250.jpg]

It's possible, probably even probable, he was mad.  I moved the bed in the room, rearranged it.  It was/is a napping place of his.

Appreciate the product advice.

Reply/Quote
All Febreze products from my experience only mask smells for a limited amount of time. Once they wear off the smell is back. You could try a distilled white vinegar wash. I've used that for pet stains on smaller items and it worked well. If your washing machine is a top loader, fill your washing machine just enough to cover the item being washed, mix about 1/4 gallon (4 cups) of white vinegar in, no detergent and let it sit for about an hour before turning on the wash cycle. Run the wash then wash it again with normal detergent (and 1/2 cup of baking soda if you want for extra). I can't guarantee it will work on something as large as a blanket with heavy stains but it has worked for me on smaller items.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Cats are great pets, but can be cumbersome in a confined existence. Thankfully, we live where our cat can go in and out, hence we don't typically keep a litter box, this cat actually prefers to go outside. Only time we do put out a box, is when it's just too cold to put her out for the day while we're working, or if we have to leave the house for a few days.

As for the smells? I think that George Cantstandya's answer is likely about the best you'll get. And, I agree about the febreeze and fabric softener only "masking" odors.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My old cat became an outdoor cat right up till the day she became a dead cat after she lost all her indoor manners. She lived 5 years till this summer that way. I did get a bit tired of stepping in her mess in the garage over time though.. Wasn't there a popular song titled "Cat shit on your shoes..."? Sing along if you know the words.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There are a number of products out there that are specifically designed to treat cat urine stains and odors, and many work quite well. Check your local pet store and you can find something good there. Hell, I think you can ever find the stuff in grocery stores. Unfortunately I can't help you with a name of what we used to use as we donated everything to the SPCA after our beloved kitty passed a few years ago at the tender age of 20.
Reply/Quote
Pee on top of the pee stain. Let sit for about 10 minutes for your pee to break down the enzymes of the dried cat pee, then rewash with Dollar Store stain remover and detergent. 

Reply/Quote
The smell never really goes away you just get numb to it over time.
Reply/Quote