Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Get your torches and pitchforks ready, it’s time for Bengals slander
You aren't going to generally win nfl games by 2+ scores. There is an art to winning close games and learning how to do it.

Ever notice how generally teams with elite QBs do it regularly?

Welcome to that world!
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 02:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People like to claim the Bengals making plays as "luck". The interceptions in the three playoff games. The field goal kicks by McPherson. The comebacks against the Chiefs. 

Those all look like a team/individuals making plays to win the games to me. 

Did the team benefit from some fortune with playing the Henryless Titans? Sure. Did they have some calls go their way in the playoffs? Sure. 

I wouldn't single handedly attribute that to them making the Super Bowl, though. 

Also, you could argue this team was less lucky last year than it was lucky. They lost more one score games than they won in the regular season. 

I agree. All this talk about luck as the key to the Bengals season last year. They lost their Right Tackle, a cornerstone of the offensive line, just as they entered the playoffs and had to play teams with great pass rushers. They lost a game to the Jets where there was a terrible call against Mike Hilton that was pretty much universally considered a bad call. They were less healthy entering the playoffs than the Chiefs, Rams, and Buffalo and a few other playoff teams. It seemed to me they had to battle to overcome some bad luck.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to go out this season and prove last season wasn't a fluke.

Until they do that, I understand the skepticism. For several games last year, we did not feel like a .500 team, let alone a playoff or super bowl team.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 02:37 AM)Nepa Wrote: I agree. All this talk about luck as the key to the Bengals season last year. They lost their Right Tackle, a cornerstone of the offensive line, just as they entered the playoffs and had to play teams with great pass rushers. They lost a game to the Jets where there was a terrible call against Mike Hilton that was pretty much universally considered a bad call. They were less healthy entering the playoffs than the Chiefs, Rams, and Buffalo and a few other playoff teams. It seemed to me they had to battle to overcome some bad luck.

I've noticed plenty of fans getting tired of the luck narrative and have started really pushing back on the injuries, specifically. The Bengals were fortunate with injuries, regardless of how you look at it. Bengals starters missed a combined 17 games last season, including the playoffs. Most of the injuries sustained were depth pieces, not critical pieces (ADG, Bachie, Ossai etc.) 

The Chiefs, Rams and Buffalo having even better luck doesn't equate to Cincinnati having bad luck. In regard to the games, there was some level of luck involved. There always is, but that doesn't discredit what Cincinnati did. At least, it shouldn't. The nature of football leans into luck, or probability. That is why there is so much parity. You get one take at the game and any mistake can come back to haunt you. Are the Rams lucky that Donald sacked Burrow before he hit Chase to win the game? Or are the Bengals lucky that the refs didn't throw the flag on Tee's long touchdown against Ramsey?

Both are true. 
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/nhtkNBDk31A
(07-31-2022, 11:15 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I've noticed plenty of fans getting tired of the luck narrative and have started really pushing back on the injuries, specifically. The Bengals were fortunate with injuries, regardless of how you look at it. Bengals starters missed a combined 17 games last season, including the playoffs. Most of the injuries sustained were depth pieces, not critical pieces (ADG, Bachie, Ossai etc.) 

The Chiefs, Rams and Buffalo having even better luck doesn't equate to Cincinnati having bad luck. In regard to the games, there was some level of luck involved. There always is, but that doesn't discredit what Cincinnati did. At least, it shouldn't. The nature of football leans into luck, or probability. That is why there is so much parity. You get one take at the game and any mistake can come back to haunt you. Are the Rams lucky that Donald sacked Burrow before he hit Chase to win the game? Or are the Bengals lucky that the refs didn't throw the flag on Tee's long touchdown against Ramsey?

Both are true. 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 11:18 AM)Spider Wrote: https://youtu.be/nhtkNBDk31A

I don't know what you're trying to communicate by posting this. It's a fun watch, though. 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 11:15 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I've noticed plenty of fans getting tired of the luck narrative and have started really pushing back on the injuries, specifically. The Bengals were fortunate with injuries, regardless of how you look at it. Bengals starters missed a combined 17 games last season, including the playoffs. Most of the injuries sustained were depth pieces, not critical pieces (ADG, Bachie, Ossai etc.) 

I don't see how this is true. A Study by The Buffalo News showed:  "The Bills lost only 36 games by starters" and they were ranked 2nd and the Bengals were ranked 9th.  Starters lost 17 combined games?  It doesn't seem to fit with with the Buffalo News report, which has the Bengals Starters losing 58 games due to injury.  And that was just the regular season, not the postseason. Your report of 17 games combined also doesn't fit with my memory, but I don't have the time to go through the injury reports.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-enjoyed-the-second-healthiest-starting-lineup-in-nfl-in-2021/article_b37146d8-8e94-11ec-ac3a-f787068ebed4.html

Reply/Quote
Luck almost always plays into success in tournaments.

We say going into tournaments that we have to play great and catch a break or two somewhere.

It's not just a Bengals thing and the Bengals were due as well having horrid injury luck in prior years.

Would add to some saying the Bengals looked mediocre at times that the O-line was nonexistent and our QB was not completely himself coming off severe injury.

The Bengals caught breaks, but definitely earned it as well while showcasing plenty of heart in the process.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 02:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, I think Hendrickson is going to be the same beast this year he was last year, and yes, I think Awuzie will once again excel under Lou's system and another year of the DB's playing together. Everyone wants to talk about why the Chief's, Bills, Ravens et al will all be better, but they do not want to talk about why the Bengals will be better instead of taking a step back. It's like they are hoping for Cincy to fall, just so they can say they were right and last year was a fluke.

Article says nobody saw them winning the division last year. They're blissfully unaware that you called it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Haters gonna hate.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote