Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Leverage: An Offensive Line Problem
We've all moved furniture or helped others move, haven't we? Let me ask you a question:

If you're moving a refrigerator, do you (a) stand on your toes, stand straight up, fully extend your arms, and try to push at the top of the refrigerator or do you (b) squat low, plant your feet, pull your arms inside, lower the trunk to a more horizontal position, and push with your shoulders, thighs, core, and butt?

One would think the Piano Man might have moved a piano or two in his day but something tells me he hires that job out.

Blocking assignments are crucially important but it's not just who to block, it's how to block them. Technique (a) above is how the Cincinnati Bengals block. It's a good way to get your ass kicked and makes for an injury-prone set of players. In the 1990s that technique was somewhat effective against smaller linemen but now defensive linemen are bigger and faster. Don't get me started on linebackers. The modern NFL linebacker is an athletic freak of nature. You will never block them using technique (a).

Technique (b) as described above is used by the Dallas Cowboys, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and especially the New England Patriots. These are the best offensive lines in the league. Technique (b) was also used by the Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers in the 1950s and 1960s when they won everything in sight. You think Paul Brown and Vince Lombardi knew something the rest of the league didn't about biophysics? Oh yes they did!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I read an interview from Evan Mathis after he left. He talked about how the Bengals had a really passive scheme where they sat back and let the defender come to them. The Eagles had an aggressive attacking scheme that suited Mathis really well.

Ced seems like a really athletic guy...that doesn't like physical contact. I've seen him get out there and have shots on safeties and he doesn't take it.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read an interview from Evan Mathis after he left. He talked about how the Bengals had a really passive scheme where they sat back and let the defender come to them. The Eagles had an aggressive attacking scheme that suited Mathis really well.

That's right. I call it "back up and furiously slap at the air."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read an interview from Evan Mathis after he left. He talked about how the Bengals had a really passive scheme where they sat back and let the defender come to them. The Eagles had an aggressive attacking scheme that suited Mathis really well.

Ced seems like a really athletic guy...that doesn't like physical contact. I've seen him get out there and have shots on safeties and he doesn't take it.

Which is the exact opposite of what you'd want when your QB has a problem with batted balls... or maybe has a problem with batted balls due to it?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Well we draft these really strong lineman and tout how many reps they do at 225 on bench...then put them in a passive scheme. Seems they'd be better suited to attack.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 03:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's right.  I call it "back up and furiously slap at the air."

[Image: Seinfeld+Slap+Fight.gif]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote