Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting back into Scouting
[Image: t55dafnv0vh31.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...7823b28f6f]

I was a Scout from ages 6 to 18, and an Assistant Scoutmaster and District Committee member for a few years after that. I was deeply involved throughout those years, working on camp staff, lodge offices for the OA, etc. Well, after a little over a decade away from the organization I have registered once again to volunteer. Tuesday was my first meeting back.

Anyone else around these parts a Scouter?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Bengals have returned to "We Blows". Does that count?

OT but your face looks thinner. Have you lost weight or is it just the photo?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 11:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: [Image: t55dafnv0vh31.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...7823b28f6f]

I was a Scout from ages 6 to 18, and an Assistant Scoutmaster and District Committee member for a few years after that. I was deeply involved throughout those years, working on camp staff, lodge offices for the OA, etc. Well, after a little over a decade away from the organization I have registered once again to volunteer. Tuesday was my first meeting back.

I was don't remember how far I got as I move a lot in the younger years... though im 100% sure my shirt wont fit anymore.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals have returned to "We Blows". Does that count?

OT but your face looks thinner. Have you lost weight or is it just the photo?

Not sure. Maybe?

(08-23-2019, 03:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I was don't remember how far I got as I move a lot in the younger years... though im 100% sure my shirt wont fit anymore.

Yeah, this is definitely a new shirt, lol.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Good for you for getting involved again. I was in the scouts all the way from Cub Scouts through Boy Scouts. It was a very positive experience and taught a lot of skills I still value to this day. So I can appreciate the leaders that volunteer their time and knowledge.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 09:09 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Good for you for getting involved again. 

So I can appreciate the leaders that volunteer their time and knowledge.

This

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Good deal.
Reply/Quote
I still have my 3nd place pinewood derby trophy from 1970. One of the wheels is missing on it. Ha. I did some camp stuff in high school, not scout related, but time well spent.
Reply/Quote
Weird, I always pictured you wearing glasses.

And on a bearskin rug.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 12:18 AM)Benton Wrote: Weird, I always pictured you wearing glasses.

And on a bearskin rug.

I started wearing contacts, this year. I was always scared to give them a try, but I found glasses to be a pain in the ass when fishing, hunting, and doing other things in the outdoors. Switching between glasses and sunglasses, fear of dropping them, etc.

And my wife refuses to let me have a bearskin rug made. She is against taxidermied animals hanging about. LOL

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 11:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: [Image: t55dafnv0vh31.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...7823b28f6f]

That is great! I volunteer for a lot of youth programs, currently involved with the First Tee program. I find kids benefit from having someone other than parents standing over them after they get to certain age. I tried scouts a couple of times, but never stuck with it. I think it was the first time I did the Klondike thing. Friggin rained and snowed and was just a miserable experience.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That is great! I volunteer for a lot of youth programs, currently involved with the First Tee program. I find kids benefit from having someone other than parents standing over them after they get to certain age. I tried scouts a couple of times, but never stuck with it. I think it was the first time I did the Klondike thing. Friggin rained and snowed and was just a miserable experience.

I love camping in cold weather. We have an award called the "Frostbite Award" here in our council. When I was a youth, I earned it every year. It involved four nights of camping in sub-freezing temperatures.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I love camping in cold weather. We have an award called the "Frostbite Award" here in our council. When I was a youth, I earned it every year. It involved four nights of camping in sub-freezing temperatures.

In my teen years we always went camping on Christmas or spring break (late March here which means temps anywhere from the high 50s to low 70s, but usually pretty chilly). Never did subzero, but always preferred camping in cold weather. Really want to try it in the northwest around the early spring season one year are that time.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 09:55 PM)Benton Wrote: In my teen years we always went camping on Christmas or spring break (late March here which means temps anywhere from the high 50s to low 70s, but usually pretty chilly). Never did subzero, but always preferred camping in cold weather. Really want to try it in the northwest around the early spring season one year are that time.

There is nothing better, to me, than waking up and stepping outside of my tent on a crisp winter morning. Making a pot of coffee on the fire. Going for a hike along the trails in the brisk air and seeing so much through the bare trees. There is a stillness that is unmatched during any other time of year.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 09:55 PM)Benton Wrote: In my teen years we always went camping on Christmas or spring break (late March here which means temps anywhere from the high 50s to low 70s, but usually pretty chilly). Never did subzero, but always preferred camping in cold weather. Really want to try it in the northwest around the early spring season one year are that time.

That would be our rainy season. I would suggest mid October, usually cool and not so rainy.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2019, 09:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is nothing better, to me, than waking up and stepping outside of my tent on a crisp winter morning. Making a pot of coffee on the fire. Going for a hike along the trails in the brisk air and seeing so much through the bare trees. There is a stillness that is unmatched during any other time of year.

You sure paint a pretty picture.  When I was in Afganistan, and not out on a mission, I would get up early and take my coffee to go check sentries. It was that stillness and sunrise that calmed me down. Just a few minutes to be alone and breathe.
Reply/Quote
Camping in the middle of summer can be too hot but camping in real cold weather sucks.
Reply/Quote
I got kicked out of Cub Scouts for eating Brownies.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote