Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting more out of the backfield
The Bengals run game has been atrocious this year. Yards per carry is 4th worst in the NFL. We will never be a run first team, but the lack of production out of the backfield is concerning.

Sure, the OL is part to blame, but I think one of the biggest issues is the lack of speed out of the backfield at the moment. Perine and Mixon just don't have enough speed to put pressure on defenses.

That is the one thing I think this offense is really missing.

I am not sure what the off-season holds for RB. I know Perine is a FA this year and Mixon has a couple more years left on his deal. Part of me hopes they re-sign Perine for better value, cut Mixon and use the money elsewhere, and then go out and draft a burner who can also pass catch.

I love Mixon, but man - I just really want more out of the RB position right now.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
They’ll run the ball well this week. Next week too.

Ravens are tough against the run.

I’ll say it again (broken record): running out of shotgun when the defense doesn’t see it coming is when we are most effective running the ball.
Keeps the defense on their toes and both passing and running game are more effective/efficient.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:22 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: They’ll run the ball well this week. Next week too.

I’ll say it again (broken record): running out of shotgun when the defense doesn’t see it coming is when we are most effective running the ball.
Keeps the defense on their toes and both passing and running game are more effective/efficient.

Ya Bills not nearly as physical as the Ravens especially with Miller out. Again, they don't need to run the ball for 150 yards. Against the Ravens on 2 of their 3 scoring drives (1st quarter and 3rd quarter TD) they had around 3 nice runs per drive just to keep the LB's frozen enough.
Reply/Quote
Need to just fire whomever is in charge of scouting and/or choosing RBs. Whoever it is absolutely loves guys that don't have homerun ability, and bonus points if they're 230-240+ pounds.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Run Perine more! He's hard to stop once he gets going and he runs angry. Besides Mixon is starting to tip toe up to the line again.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:22 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: They’ll run the ball well this week. Next week too.

I am not sure what leads you to believe we will have success with the run this week. They literally haven't had success all year, even against teams that are "bad" at stopping the run. 

What is going to kill them this week is the lack of a player out of the backfield to put in space, with speed, that you can get the ball too quickly -whether thats through receiing or running. The OL injuries/issues make this all the more important.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
With another OL injury, it's likely Perine gets more reps. Mixon puts you in a weird spot to where even if you don't want to telegraph plays, you can find yourself doing just that. If he's out there you have to justify handing it off or throwing to him since you can't trust him as a blocker. He can't protect, they need to run him on either side and get him to help chip for either tackle quickly.
Reply/Quote
I do think we run better this week just purely do to not playing the Ravens. I still think our problem is blocking. The just never got consistent at run blocking. Is Mixon perfect no but I still think he's good enough to be one of the top backs ( even if it's just cracking the top 10 ) with good blocking.

Something I was thinking earlier. Was that we just aren't that creative on offense. With the line taking a hit its probably gonna hurt the pass and run game. We always throw those quick outs to Chase. While I see the point of he could potentially break one and it can set up plays later. I would like to see other receivers getting used in that role some. I also thought sometime returners do good in that role or with end arounds. I thought Taylor but not that big a fan of that then I remembered Trayveon Williams. Dude has been close to breaking a return and he's shown some ability this year. The problem with him is he isn't on the field that much so it would be hard to get him out there in a surprise role like that.
Reply/Quote
I really think Joe Mixon yac is one of the worst in the NFL. It's time to move on from mixing resign perine maybe dropped a stead running back in the next draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am not sure what leads you to believe we will have success with the run this week. They literally haven't had success all year, even against teams that are "bad" at stopping the run. 

What is going to kill them this week is the lack of a player out of the backfield to put in space, with speed, that you can get the ball too quickly -whether thats through receiing or running. The OL injuries/issues make this all the more important.  

I liked what I saw against the bills early last game on offense. I’m thinking we can keep that going.
Reply/Quote