Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Getting really tired of J. Votto
I've gotten on Votto in the past but way more often than not until last year and now this season I've defended him. But I gotta tell you I'm growing very tired of Joey ball !

As has been noted in many prior threads he's the 10th highest paid player in all of MLB, or very close to the top 10 ? He makes a full 1/4th of the entire Reds payroll !!!

He's currently batting .235, not far above the Mendoza line. He has 5 yes FIVE RBI's ! That's on pace for about 40 for the entire season. And he's tied for the team lead with 29 strikeouts. I'd love to know how many strikeouts looking he has in those 29 ?

Among all the MLB 1st basemen he's close to or at the bottom of nearly every offensive category.

It's like he walks up to the plate and if he doesn't get the perfect pitch he's looking for he ain't swinging. To hell with the team and the situation ! Forget the win I have to keep my on base % up, I want a walk.

Joey Votto, stop looking to walk and start helping your team with your "all world bat"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’m just hoping he’s doing his “slow first two months” routine and he’ll heat up when the weather does. One of these years, soon, it will be a permanent slump because time catches up with everybody. Who knows, could be this year.
Reply/Quote
Slumps are nothing new and Joey has hit a lot of balls deep to the edge of the warning track only to be hauled in, but what really got my goat with him was the game we lost to NY when he was caught half way between first and second on a seemingly routine fly ball to right center. That should have gotten him benched for the rest of the game then and there. I guess Bell has no spine when it comes to piss poor base running on routine fly balls.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 12:06 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m just hoping he’s doing his “slow first two months” routine and he’ll heat up when the weather does. One of these years, soon, it will be a permanent slump because time catches up with everybody. Who knows, could be this year.

I believe his slow months are self induced. He's got to snap out of it.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: Slumps are nothing new and Joey has hit a lot of balls deep to the edge of the warning track only to be hauled in, but what really got my goat with him was the game we lost to NY when he was caught half way between first and second on a seemingly routine fly ball to right center. That should have gotten him benched for the rest of the game then and there. I guess Bell has no spine when it comes to piss poor base running on routine fly balls.

Bell needs to put a foot up his ass !
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 09:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe his slow months are self induced. He's got to snap out of it.

I seriously doubt that Joey has these slumps from anything intentional. What player would wake up one fine morning and say to himself, "You know what..I think I'll play terrible the first part of the season then crank it up come July or thereabouts.." 
Then again I have been known to be wrong about these things. Me wrong about anything? Impossible! 
OK, maybe possible, but not probable..
OK, maybe probable, but not carved in stone..
OK, maybe carved in stone, but not carved in diamond..
OK, maybe carved in diamond, but definitely not carved in warm butter! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 09:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe his slow months are self induced. He's got to snap out of it.

Yeah, right.  Votto plays poorly because he wants to.

That makes perfect sense.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 11:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's like he walks up to the plate and if he doesn't get the perfect pitch he's looking for he ain't swinging. To hell with the team and the situation ! Forget the win I have to keep my on base % up, I want a walk.

Haven't you ever seen the graphs where they show what a batters average is based on where the pitch is in the strike zone.

When batters start chasing bad pitches their average goes down.  And there are even big differences in areas within the strike zone. 
Reply/Quote
It’s karma for his T-shirt cockiness. He’s always overthought things, a lot of this could be mental. He’s had a great career but if this is the new Votto, he can kiss the HOF goodbye because that all depends on his career OBP. If he makes a 1/4 of the teams salary and this is what he now is, he will end up being hated.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:56 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It’s karma for his T-shirt cockiness. He’s always overthought things, a lot of this could be mental. He’s had a great career but if this is the new Votto, he can kiss the HOF goodbye because that all depends on his career OBP. If he makes a 1/4 of the teams salary and this is what he now is, he will end up being hated.

There has always been a section of the fans that have hated him for being over paid even when he was playing well.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 05:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There has always been a section of the fans that have hated him for being over paid even when he was playing well.

I definitely don’t hate Votto, he’s had a great career and who wouldn’t take the money if the team is gonna pay it? The Reds got all antsy with the MVP season. There were still years left on his contract and it’s never smart to negotiate with an MVP if you don’t have to. I was one of the few that didn’t like the contract extension as it happened. They locked up a great player but long term, guaranteed contracts are always VERY risky. Most people only see the immediate future and don’t even consider the last half of the contract. Time can fly by though and that time is already here. Time seems to go faster when things are going well and it seems to drag when things are going bad. Because of the contract, the team is basically screwed if Votto isn’t much better than mediocre. The saying is not to put all of your eggs in one basket. Votto would have been crazy not to sign that contract and the Reds probably sacrificed 5 years of winning to sign him. I’d never begrudge anyone for taking the money, the team will pay the price in wins though.
Reply/Quote
I like that Dietrich
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:41 PM)grampahol Wrote: I seriously doubt that Joey has these slumps from anything intentional. What player would wake up one fine morning and say to himself, "You know what..I think I'll play terrible the first part of the season then crank it up come July or thereabouts.." 
Then again I have been known to be wrong about these things. Me wrong about anything? Impossible! 
OK, maybe possible, but not probable..
OK, maybe probable, but not carved in stone..
OK, maybe carved in stone, but not carved in diamond..
OK, maybe carved in diamond, but definitely not carved in warm butter! 

(05-02-2019, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  Votto plays poorly because he wants to.

That makes perfect sense.

I'm not saying Votto just decided to play poorly. He way overthinks everything he does in the batters box ! Just go up there and swing the damn bat.
Reply/Quote
Votto has been a good player. He's aging and it is showing. I knew when they signed his contract we'd get some average years near the end. I think his days of glory are over.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 09:43 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Votto has been a good player. He's aging and it is showing. I knew when they signed his contract we'd get some average years near the end. I think his days of glory are over.

You may well be right he is 35. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 11:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've gotten on Votto in the past but way more often than not until last year and now this season I've defended him. But I gotta tell you I'm growing very tired of Joey ball !

As has been noted in many prior threads he's the 10th highest paid player in all of MLB, or very close to the top 10 ? He makes a full 1/4th of the entire Reds payroll !!!

He's currently batting .235, not far above the Mendoza line. He has 5 yes FIVE RBI's ! That's on pace for about 40 for the entire season. And he's tied for the team lead with 29 strikeouts. I'd love to know how many strikeouts looking he has in those 29 ?

Among all the MLB 1st basemen he's close to or at the bottom of nearly every offensive category.

It's like he walks up to the plate and if he doesn't get the perfect pitch he's looking for he ain't swinging. To hell with the team and the situation ! Forget the win I have to keep my on base % up, I want a walk.

Joey Votto, stop looking to walk and start helping your team with your "all world bat"
I think there is still 5 more years on his contract but not sure
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Votto… 0-5 so far in an 11-10 game. WTF??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
0-7 for the night. Terrible.
Reply/Quote
106 AB, .217 BA, 5 RBI. 25,0000,000 Bucks.. Ouch. He has the talent to turn it around, I vote that he starts today!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Votto…  0-5 so far in an 11-10 game.  WTF??

(05-04-2019, 01:08 AM)treee Wrote: 0-7 for the night. Terrible.

(05-04-2019, 01:25 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: 106 AB, .217 BA, 5 RBI. 25,0000,000 Bucks.. Ouch.  He has the talent to turn it around, I vote that he starts today!

And leading the team with 33 strikeouts, he doesn't need to be leading off put him batting 8th and see if that stings his pride and gets his head out of his........
Reply/Quote